Wetsuit for tall hippy European

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trassela

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I would be super grateful for tips on finding a wetsuit for my shape! I'm tall and have a small waist and chest but some bulk in my hips and thighs. Wetsuits that are a good fit for my upper body are always a sweaty battle to pull up over my thighs, and they also tend to be a bit too short. If they're good for my lower body, they leave way too much space further up.

Searching the forum, I find plenty of tips about e.g. the Henderson brand, but their customer service told me they don't have retailers in the EU. Likewise I find many tips on custom suits in the US. Ordering from the US would mean extra VAT and customs plus long wait times and returns/exchanges would be a hassle. There are some brands that offer tall sizes (e.g. Bare), but EU retailers seem to only carry the regular lengths. I've spent many hours looking and am running out of steam.

So: Do you know of a EU-based retailer that carries a brand with sizes that could work for me? Alternatively, can you recommend EU-based manufacturers of custom-made wetsuits? Any tips would be most welcome! In particular I'm looking for a 6mm long suit, preferably with a hood, but could consider 7mm if no 6mm options turn up.

Maybe what you should be looking for is a dry suit. You can get a custom-fitted dry suit for under 1000 US.

Wetsuits have limited utility, but you can dive a dry suit anywhere in the world... Just a thought.

Hi @trassela,

I'm not familiar with any custom wetsuit makers in the UK, but we can certainly help you from the US if that's helpful. Easy enough to be measured there and we can send the suit.

Happy to discuss and answer any questions - just let me know if i can help.

Kind regards,
Derek

Thanks @VikingDives , but I'm not looking for a dry suit at this time.

Thanks @JMJ Wetsuits – unfortunately, as mentioned, the extra VAT and customs duties make ordering from the US quite expensive, so it's not really an option. To be clear: I'm in the EU, which the UK is unfortunately no longer part of. :)

If you're looking for 6-7mm suits, then re-consider getting a dry suit. SeaSkin is ~1000USD and will but custom fit to your body. Once you go that route, you won't look at Hendersons or any other off-the-rack option.

Scubapro offers specific lengthy (or short) sizes. So, for example, LT (large, tall). maybe some other brands do too.

By the way, a quick Google search ('made to measure wetsuit europe') gave me a few pages of hits, including these:

Elios Sub mentioned above will be good, but any two piece freediving suit would work. You should be able to get different sized tops and bottoms instead of going with a custom suit, if that works for you. There are probably more EU freediving suit manufacturers than what is available in the US, so you should be spoiled for choice.

Just be aware that the suits will have options for nylon lining. If you go with a single lined, get smooth skin or open cell inside, nylon outside. It'll be more stretchy, warm and comfortable, but you'll need lube to get it on. If you go with the Nylon on both sides, you won't need lube, it'll be more like a traditional scuba suit.

Please try on a ScubaPro. I am apple shaped, and the Scubapro legs and hips are much too wide for me, and perfect for my pear shaped daughter, with her ice-hockey player thighs.
For apple shaped ladies, Oceanic brand worked better.

When you said hippy European I thought you meant hippie. :oops:
Made to measure or off the rack made to fit is the only way a wetsuit will fit me, could be an option.
A question for @VikingDives Have you made any wetsuits for divers Down Under, and if so, what sort of $ am I looking at?
Asking for a friend.:wink:

Attachments

• o_Ladies-Happy-Hippie-Fancy-Dress-Costume-N12598_23_11_852-sw_2048x.jpg
    o_Ladies-Happy-Hippie-Fancy-Dress-Costume-N12598_23_11_852-sw_2048x.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 60
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom