What a Suunto Vyper looks like when you're dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If I dived this profile, I should be dead: 3+ days at 117 feet, followed by rapid ascent. (Real story is that my gear was on the bottom in Lake Michigan after a dive boat I was on capsized, and gear was brought up using lift bags). Fortunately there's a Suunto service center in Chicagoland, so that it can be checked out...
vyper_display.jpg

Looks like error/violation mode. It does that if you don't complete deco (which the computer most certainly had entered). It should reset to dive mode after 48 hours.

Yeah, what they said - shouldn't be any damage, will reset after 48 hours SI. Battery might need replacing after racking up the equivalent of 100 recreational dives though, just check the battery strength indiator after it resets (displays a check value on startup)

This was about 60 hours after the computer was surfaced, but this was more than your usual deco violation...

I bought a similar Suunto, a Gekko which was found on the bottom of the sea after 1-2 days. It was a bargain and worked fine for 3 years so I think this Vyper will be OK as well. Anyway, the guy who sold first brought it to the local Suunto service.

Great story, and glad you got your gear back.

Neat!

FWIW, I vaguely remember someone observing here on SB that the Suuntos were maintaining and calculating compartment N2 content up to a week after a serious dive series, even though it might normally have cleared to fly after 24h. In this case, although it's so far off what the algorithm is actually designed and tested for it's actually kind of funny, it might still be desaturating after a few days. Be an interesting experiment to just let it keep running, and maybe look at the N2 compartment loading every now and then, rather than popping the battery.

Back
Top Bottom