What a Suunto Vyper looks like when you're dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has me quite curious as well. I use a Cobra. On a recent Keys trip, another diver (I don't know him) also had a Cobra, and he discovered while trying to set his nitrox %O2 for the first dive that it just displayed "Er" and wouldn't let him set anything. He asked the DM (Suunto-familiar) and captain (not so much) what it meant, but they didn't know. I remembered that it involved a blown stop but nothing very specific about details or how to clear it etc. My take on that part of the Cobra operation after the initial read of the manual was "don't get there" and I hadn't really tried to internalize the details, so I wasn't much help to him either. But in response to our limited descriptions, he insisted that he hadn't dived in a week before that morning.

[ BTW, he did both dives on that trip. I have no idea what he was using for managing his N2 load, if anything, and didn't try to find out. As drbill recently said in another thread, I just wanted to stay out of the way of natural selection. ]

So afterwards I decided I wasn't satisfied with the state of my understanding, and reread that part of the manual again. I now think I understand how you get a Suunto into Er mode. But how to get it out? The manual actually doesn't say, and in fact, it calls it "Permanent Error Mode". It does say you shouldn't dive for at least 48 hours, but it doesn't say how the Permanent Error Mode is exited. It didn't seem reasonable that the computer was actually trashed.

So I started googling around, and found nothing conclusive. Some reported removing the battery cleared it, and some said it cleared after 48 hours. Then I found a discussion at Suunto Regional Service Center of battery replacement. That site's not behaving for me right now, but I saved the page locally, and it includes this text:

Note: Function Test
The test is designed to activate all of the alarms provided for your safety in the computer,
including ascent, visual, audible, and backlight. To activate these alarms the computer is driven
into violation of the decompression algorithm and subsequently a rapid ascent to the surface.
This test is mandatory for your safety and will result in a dive in the computers memory. The
computer will be in ER mode for a period of time (48 hours) when it is returned to you. You can
verify when the computer will clear the error mode by accessing the memory and viewing the
time remaining before flying.

I thought that probably put the issue to bed - It's not really "permanent", it actually clears in 48 hours as the manual might be read to imply, and the no-fly time actually counts that down for you. ... And the guy on the boat that said he hadn't dived in a week was probably about as reliable on that as the rest of his behavior suggested.

But the OPs report that his Vyper has been in Er Mode for 60+ hours calls that into question again. Maybe the "function test" only puts it there for 48 hours, but even worse profiles can make that even longer?

I'm really interested in knowing if this ever clears on its own, and how long that takes. Also, can you look at the no-fly time? Is it counting down? How long does it have to go?

And what did that poor guy do to get his Cobra locked up for a week, and why was he still walking around?

I have seen that picture before... It did not however go down with the boat... Last read out was 75' compared to the planned dive of 130' and diver found at 216' a year later... It did however return to normal minus a few barnacles after changing the battery. (Impressive!) I cannot say the same about the diver. Sitting on my shelf as a reminder that nothing is more dangerous than a PDC(full digital, air integrated), when it is the only tool you have.

Unfortunately I can't track whether the computer will clear on its own, because I dropped it off at the Chicagoland Suunto service center on Friday before leaving on a non-diving trip. (I want it to get checked out before I dive with it again). For a dive of 3 days to 117 feet, followed by a rapid ascent, I can well imagine it might take more than 48 hours to be considered safe for diving again...

In any case, I would think a battery remove/replace should clear just about anything . . . tissue modeling is all math in the computer, and that goes away with no power. The fact that they state to not change batteries during a multi dive series due to loss of deco status also supports this . . . . All that should remain is dive history, since that is in non-volatile memory.

- Tim

As a followup, I brought it into the Chicagoland authorized Suunto service center. They told me that the depth transducer died, so not only am I (supposed to be) dead but my Vyper is supposedly dead too.

However, I have now removed the battery myself and it has reset itself to show zero depth. I'm going to take it diving along with my Cobra 3 and see if it works. Will report later...

P.S. it stopped recording my dive profile after 16 hours at 120 feet in 41 F water...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom