Wetsuit 5/4 vs 3/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For one thing, water temps in, say, some of the Caribbean, may depend on the season. Also, in rainy season, you may feel colder because you can't readily warm up between dives. For years I dived the Caribbean, Keys, some Pacific, plus one northern Red Sea trip, using my 3/2 full suit. I think it's a good all-around choice for the spectrum of what is considered "warm-water" diving.

After years of getting by mostly comfortably with my 3/2, I finally bought a 5/4, which I have used in North Carolina when the temp was around 75-78 F (sorry for Fahrenheit units) but otherwise haven't needed much. Other than that, I feel the 5/4 is more than I need, and it adds weight and bulk in my baggage when I travel. If you haven't done so, compare a 5/4 and 3/2 side by side, feeling them and folding them up as you would if packing in your dive baggage, and you'll see a 5/4 is indeed bulkier and heavier. That may or may not matter to you depending on where you are traveling and whether your airline loves you. A 3/2 packs nicely.

Most recently, I added a Lavacore vest to my gear. I can add the Lavacore underneath the 3/2 when the temp is in the 75-80 F range and avoid having to lug along the 5/4. The Lavacore is very comfortable and thin. I rarely dive when the temp is below 75 F. An exception was the 72 F degree Florida springs, where I used the 5/4 plus the Lavacore.

I have never felt too warm in a wetsuit underwater. However, I wouldn't discount the comfort of not having to stand around in a thick black wetsuit sweating like crazy when gearing up under a blazing sun. For those ten minutes of waiting to enter the water, I do appreciate being in my 3/2 rather than my 5/4.

Well... I do mainly warm water diving. I have just invested in a Scubapro 4mm Nova Scotia. It's a lot less bulky than a 7mm, but warmer than a 5mm.
I have also a 3mm long that I can combine with a Fourth Element Thermocline. With these three combinations I can get up to around 7mm equivalent themal protection.

For cold(er) water diving I have a nova scotia 6.5mm. But I wouldn't wear it for tropical diving as it's quite bulky and probably TOO warm.

I have a 3/2 that I have used for two trips to Mexico. I thought about a 5/4 but went for a 3/2 because it packs better and drys faster. Now I am cold on every dive.

I have a 3/2 that I have used for two trips to Mexico. I thought about a 5/4 but went for a 3/2 because it packs better and drys faster. Now I am cold on every dive.

spc751 Have you thought of adding a Fourth Element thermocline suit under your wetsuit? The combined top and explorer weigh less than 1kg, but worn under a wetsuit give you (claimed) equivalent 3mm extra thermal protection but with no extra lead neaded.

spc751 Have you thought of adding a Fourth Element thermocline suit under your wetsuit? The combined top and explorer weigh less than 1kg, but worn under a wetsuit give you (claimed) equivalent 3mm extra thermal protection but with no extra lead neaded.

Thank you for the info. I have thought about something like this but I may just take a drysuit. I have sat out pretty good rain storms during the SI and a drysuit is a lot warmer than a wetsuit.

I dive a full 3mm when the water is in the 80s (your 27-29) and my full 5mm when the water is in the 70s, occasionally high 60s. I always have a 5/3mm hooded vest with me for added flexibility.

You'll have water in the 70s when you visit Hawaii, I always wear my 5mm there. I really dislike being cold. As tracydr attempted to point out, above, my SRMV also goes UP when cold, especially when shivering or nearly so.

If you want to go with a single wetsuit to cover the range of water temps you'll encounter with your current plans, you'll be best served by the heavier one.

Rambo;

1st I have to say it; if you're diving beyond 60ft get your AOW cert and your NITROX. your setting your self up for an earned hit if you don't and some locations won't let you get on the boat for a wreck dive if you don't have them.

on the suit go with the 5mil all day. the suit will crush as you use it and it will become a 4/3 mil over time. I have a 3 mil that after a couple of trips to 100ft now feels like a 1 mil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What makes you say that? Cheers

Lots of people say you can always let water in to cool off - while this is true, to me there are a lot of drawbacks to wearing a thicker suit than I need. You might consider getting a 3mm and then a vest, core warmer, or shorty to layer as needed. Layers are more versatile.

Lots of people say you can always let water in to cool off - while this is true ...
Sure it's true, but I always dive in a 5mm even in 85+°F water and never felt the need to do that. I know I've heard people tell stories about how they got hot in their suit, but that never happened to me. It's a personal thing.

to me there are a lot of drawbacks to wearing a thicker suit than I need.
More lead and more BCD air adjustments, that's all I can think of. Advantages are that you only have one suit that you know works from 65ish to anything up to 90°F or so without having to think about what you're gonna need to stay warm, how much lead you need with what you have, whether you're gonna get cold after multiple dives with that particular kind of suit/combo, which ones of your suits you need to take with you on your trip, etc...

There's also getting hot on the surface while gearing up or waiting to get in the water, which is harder to fix. Thicker is usually harder to get into. Thicker takes more space in your luggage. And there's a comfort factor - some people, myself included, are really uncomfortable constrained by a suit. And yes, I'd prefer not to wear more lead and mess more with buoyancy than I have to, why not avoid it if I can? (I think figuring out the right weight to use for a given combo once, is much less trouble than having to deal with more lead on every dive.)

Everyone has different priorities. I started as a cold water diver, and I got away from it partly to get away from some of these things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom