West End, Roatan Trip Report: March 18-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I returned to Roatan for the first time in 19 years when I got my OW with West End Divers. West End looks quite different than it did two decades ago and I didn't recognize a thing. The road is newly paved and business line the street. A nice thing about West End is that it that locals mix with the tourists. There are homes just off the road and business that locals use. We decided to stay in West End rather than an AI, because, for this trip we wanted to be in a town rather than a resort. We have enjoyed AIs in the past, and just wanted this experience this particular time. When we talk about returning with the kids for a week, a resort such as CoCo View may make the most sense for us.

Accommodations:
We stayed at Posada Arco Iris on the north side of West End. These are basic accommodations and are nice enough just the same. They have a nice beach from which the sunset is exquisite. We stayed in the Ocean View room, which is nice but I do not recommend it over the Garden View rooms. It is in the very front of the hotel, right off the street and above the restaurant, which makes it a noisy place to be. Also, one night, lots of noise seemed to be coming from what might have been a generator servicing the grocery store next door. Also, clear communication with reservations is important. There were constant questions over how much deposit we put down and what our final bill would be. Finally in the end it worked out, but not without some effort. Ironically, they should have taken me up on my insistence to only pay what their confirmation email quoted as the balance due, as they had recalculated the price two different times, each time to a higher price. Turns out, our actual total (which was the amount we did end up paying) was much lower than any calculation made, because we did not use the A/C which was included in our price even though it is only to be charged if used. If you see the A/C remote in your room and do not intend to use it, return it to the office.

We would stay there again, as the location is excellent, the rooms are clean, and the staff was friendly. Staying a room further away from the street would really solve our biggest concern.

Diving:
We did all of our 17 dives with Reef Gliders. Their boats are small, which we like for such short rides (3-10 mins) and the staff is great. We always dove in small groups and a few of our dives were just the two of us and the DM or just us and some DMTs. They did not try to squeeze us into any of the larger organized groups, which would have saved them money. They got us in the water first and the DMs made a plan so the different groups were not on top of each other. It would be nice if they took credit cards so we did not need to deal with cash so much.

The reef on this side of Roatan is incredibly healthy. The corals are vibrant and go on endlessly. A typical profile was to spend about 15 minutes on top of the reef, another 20 or so over the wall and then back over the top for the last part of the dive. Most dives were about 55 - 60 minutes and the SIs were spent back at the shop and always lasted more than 1 hour. We had minimal current a few times, but nothing compared to Cozumel or south Florida. Most of the time, the water felt completely still and zero fining was required to hang in one place and look at something.

We saw some beautiful eagles rays on more than one occasion, turtles, and swimming morays. While the flora in Roatan is abundant and healthy compared to Cozumel, the fauna is less so. The current of Cozumel attracts tons of creatures big and small that just is not as present elsewhere. We noticed the same thing in Little Cayman a couple of years ago, as well.

Food:
Our best breakfasts were at the C-Level restaurant at the dive shop. Good coffee and good choices. We did try 'Yahongreh,' but it just didn't do it for us. Tiki's was good too. We did like having our breakfast while sitting at the tables down by the water or upstairs with the view. The morning hustle and bustle of the shop was fun to be around while we relaxed and looked forward to a day of diving.

Our two favorite places to eat at night were 'Eataly,' a pasta joint, and an open air kebab grill. Good prices at each and the food was great. Both are on the southern end of the main strip. Grab a beer or water at a nearby mini mart to bring and enjoy.

Misc:
Coming from a state where smoking in public places is not permitted, we were definitely taken aback buy the amount of smoking in Roatan. Cigarettes and vape pens are everywhere, even in restaurants. There are no boundaries and it was incumbent upon us to avoid the smoke. No judging, just informing.

US dollars and Honduran Lempiras are completely interchangeable in West End. It is just like Cozumel where you can do most business in either and get change back in either currency. Next time I will not rely on ATMs as much and just make sure I have enough USD. The ATMs are a bit finicky and we were told that the one by Coconut Tree is hacked regularly. There is another nearby that we used with no apparent problems and there is also one a 5 minutes walk out of town at a gas station that is also considered safe from hacking.

We loved the pace and feel of West End and would recommend it highly as a place to stay and dive.

nice write up. did you see any whale sharks? what was your average water temp?

No whale sharks, unfortunately. No sharks sightings the whole week for that matter- with the exception of the shark suckers that hitch rides on the backs of turtles. The water temp ranged from 79 F to 81 F all week, with most dives being 79 and I think just one that was 81.

Thank you for this! We're going in May and staying in the West End (CocoLoco) - trying to decide on a dive shop on the West End. I'm taking your Reef Gliders reco under consideration. Would love to know how you first chose them over others.

Great report! Thanks for sharing:)

Been to cocolobo twice and really enjoyed staying there. Krys knows her shizzle and has excellent recommendations. Ive been diving with Sun Divers and West end divers.

Sun divers is a smaller operation with a smaller boat and maybe Three DM's including the very personable owners who also lead groups. You walk out a few feet in the water with your personal things and climb on to the boat where your heavy gear is set up for you. Entry is by back roll.

West end Divers is a bit larger operation with a couple more DM's/DMT's and a larger boat. They always seemed to have an extra DMT around who I could buddy with since I am solo. You typically still dive with only 6 or so in your group but there may be a couple of different groups doing slightly different dives at the same dive sight. Entry is by giant stride. Also the boat is larger so you have room to suit up on the boat. at Sun Divers you put your wet suit on on shore. Not a big deal either way and I enjoyed my weeks with both.

I think if I don't try the other side of the island, next time, I am going to go with West end again. More people around, more variety of personalities, more fun, in a way. Sun Divers seems to offer a bit more personal attention. Both hit many of the same dive sites but West end divers took us to spooky channel which was one of my favorite dives .and Sun divers did not.
Either way its great diving! Enjoy!

Thank you for this! We're going in May and staying in the West End (CocoLoco) - trying to decide on a dive shop on the West End. I'm taking your Reef Gliders reco under consideration. Would love to know how you first chose them over others.

I searched this forum for reports and saw Reef Gliders come up with positive reviews. I emailed a bit with them too and they seemed nice.

Tried to start a new thread on this but Tapatalk is giving me grief and I am in RTB with no computer. If anyone in this Bay Islands forum has suggestions for Roatan snorkeling, I would appreciate it. We came here to dive, but hubby has a head cold. .so we are gonna be topside for a few days. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom