Cocoview Resort Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cisco_Pug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone!
My husband and I just returned this week from The Resort at Marble Hill in the East end of Roatan. We absolutely loved Roatan and this resort, but definitely want to try some other places to broaden our perspective in Roatan. West End is definitely not our thing. After lots of research on these boards, Cocoview looks like a great match for us.

I emailed for reservations for a cabana, as this looks like a room we would like. Unfortunately, they are not available for the dates we can go. Oceanfront was our second choice. He offered us either the obstructed view oceanfront room or an over-water bungalow (offering to put us on the waiting list in case a cabana or an unobstructed oceanfront opens up). I know the over-water bungalows are supposed to be really nice, but from the online pictures, the rooms look oddly shaped offering less room. Not sure if this is actually the case?

I came here to ask those who have stayed at Cocoview to offer their advice. We want to know (1) how people feel about the over-water bungalows and (2) how obstructed those obstructed view Oceanview rooms actually are, to decide if the over-water cabana is a better choice.

Thanks in advance for any information to help us make an informed decision!

I am fairly new here, so forgive me if this question has been answered (I was unable to find it by searching)

The 4 bungalows (A B C D) do seem a little bigger than the 12 cabanas (c1-12). They’re a little more open and airy as well, all 16 of them in total are essentially rooms on stilts over the open and changing reef. They’re all about equal distant from the main clubhouse. If I recall correctly, the bungalows do feature some with larger beds, queens and twins maybe even a king size whereas the cabanas all have twin beds. I think there’s some with some other types of bedding, but to answer your question about size the cabanas, they are indeed, less spacious.
It does however, beg the question what are you gonna do with all that space? I think you’ll see that the front porch if you will is more secluded on the cabanas and more private where is on the bungalows you’re exposed to other bungalows …heaven only knows what you’re gonna be doing out there that you wouldn’t want the fish to see!!

The oceanfront rooms worked pretty well for me. Most of them have front porches that give you a wide expansive view of the front yard and ocean and they’re closer to all the action. being in need of handicap accessibility they’re really my favorite.

Those onshore rooms feature two different floors the second floor rooms have the best views they are numbered 13 14 and 15, as well as 19 20 and 21. You can easily look straight down into the shallow Front Yard and see everything from cephalopods to baby Nerf (!) Sharkses chasing dinner.

(I don’t really care for the onshore rooms that are not oceanfront, I think those are numbered 23+. Room 17 a lower floor oceanfront, is a bit dark but a gereat handicapped choice)

Lower floor rooms 16 & 18 are quite doable, just not the same elevated view as 2nd floor.

TSR is a room… well, it’s The Secret Room, can’t talk about it.

Mango Suite is my fave. It is just 35’ E of the Main Clubhouse door in the first on-shore building. 25’ from the shore dive and 85’ from the dive deck. I don’t walk well, so it’s my choice… nothing is closer in to center of resort. Has 2 br&ba plus a glassed in porch and a screened porch, it’s own wetsuit drying porch, quite the place!

Otherwise- I put them all (c1-12 and A>D) on a very equal footing, especially for your first visit there go and take a look around see what you like. A lot of people really enjoy the beach houses too. I like them so much I designed my own there (coco casa), i no longer own it.

Marble Hill Farms historically was a great place to go and buy jams and preserves but when the original owner sold it, and they turned into a dive resort,.. it ain’t CoCoView.

Here’s the exterior layout with a hand drawn “map key”…

(Look at top edge of last drawing for room #’s)

IMG_7553.jpeg
IMG_7556.jpeg
IMG_5421.jpeg
IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

Great room interiors on the www.CoCoViewResort.com website

Thank you for the detailed info!

Has anyone stayed in the obstructed view oceanfront rooms? I'm just curious how obstructed it actually is (just a little or quite a bit)?

As a side note, our experience at Marble Hill Resort was excellent. It is definitely different from Cocoview from what I've gathered in my research, but definitely not a place to discount, depending on what you're looking for. The owner is really working on improvements and our diving there was excellent. I'm working on a detailed review now to post.

Here are the “obstructed view” units, enlarged from previous images.

They are 65’ North of C1->C4 building

IMG_7273.jpeg

BTW- waiting lists usually pay off
IMG_7274.jpeg

Thank you again Doc! You are a wealth of information :)

We went ahead and reserved the over-water bungalow for now but are on the waiting list for a cabana or unobstructed oceanfront.

We're very excited to return to Roatan!

I’m here now, staying in one of the Playa Miguel beach houses, which was all that was available by the time we booked. My conclusion about CCV accommodations is that I couldn’t care less what I’m staying in because I hardly spend time in the room. The beach houses are too far from the resort. Next time, we’re staying closer. But what kind of room matters zero to us.

Now, off to go diving!

I have stayed in everything except the on-shore rooms (beach houses, cabana, and bungalows). I far prefer the bungalows. They feel more private and convenient. I am sure that you will have a good time regardless of which room you end up with.

We have stayed in the obstructed view. We got "stuck" for a second week when Harvey hit. The inbound flights made it in but outbound did not so the staff made room and we ended up in this room. You would not want to spend your after noon's or mornings there. It was mainly the place we stored our gear. Spent much time in the clubhouse or out on the pier that week. There was also a family of bats hanging in the patio rafters. Looked like little puppies and were quite entertaining.
We have stayed in the cabanas as well. Nice rooms. Great view. That said, 2 (well only one facing the clubhouse) are quite close to the clubhouse. Depending on the group you may hear noise from the bar.
Along those lines we have also been in room 13. Upstairs, corner, first building next to the club house. That year there was a group there that seemed to be more interested in drinking than diving. First night my wife actually went down twice to see if they could "keep it down a bit". Then she woke me to do the same. Everyone has their idea of "vacation" and "a good time". The only saving grace was hearing about a few of them puking on the boat the next day. :vomit::p. Moral of the story, if you are a light sleeper try to keep your distance form the bar/clubhouse.
We have also done the overwater bungalows and they are plenty spacious.
If space and unobstructed view are your concern you may want to look into the beach house options. We have done the houses the last 5 or 6 times and prefer them to any of the room options.
Have fun!

Along those lines we have also been in room 13. Upstairs, corner first building next to the club house. That year there was a group there that seemed to be more interested in drinking than diving. First night my wife actually went down twice to see if they could "keep it down a bit". Then she woke me to do the same. Everyone has their idea of "vacation" and "a good time". The only saving grace was hearing about a few of them puking on the boat the next day. :vomit::p. Moral of the story, if you are a light sleeper try to keep your distance form the bar/clubhouse.
We have also done the overwater bungalows and they are plenty spacious.
If space and unobstructed view are your concern you may want to look into the beach house options. We have done the houses the last 5 or 6 times and prefer them to any of the room options.
Have fun!
Good point. Noise level surely varies depending on who the guests are. This week the bar area was a ghost town after 8:30. This was my first visit to CCV. I noticed almost no one drinking wine or beer with dinner. I guess we had serious divers this week. I’d also guess the average age was 60+. I’ll have to keep in mind for next trip that it is not always so sedate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom