Cocoview Resort Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the detailed info!

Has anyone stayed in the obstructed view oceanfront rooms? I'm just curious how obstructed it actually is (just a little or quite a bit)?

As a side note, our experience at Marble Hill Resort was excellent. It is definitely different from Cocoview from what I've gathered in my research, but definitely not a place to discount, depending on what you're looking for. The owner is really working on improvements and our diving there was excellent. I'm working on a detailed review now to post.
We stayed in an overwater cabana and liked it a lot. There seemed to be plenty of room to spread gear out. Our bathroom, however, looked like it had last been renovated in 1978. The food, however, was utterly midwest-meh. As for the diving, I'll be extremely curious to see how you compare CCV to the east side. I found big differences between the West End and CCV in the week that I was there.

Thank you everyone!

Sure Squintsalot - I'm anxious to see how it compares as well. We absolutely loved our dive sites on the East end - we did mostly diving on the North side - as well as one trip more out to the east as you go around toward the south side of the island. Lots of canyons and swim throughs that were really wonderful. We were the only boat on the water the whole week - and just 4 of us diving. It was great!

The food, however, was utterly midwest-meh.
I’m planning to write a trip report in the next few days, but I call this kind of food “international hotel buffet standard.” This is the same sort of ordinary food you see at buffets wherever we Americans are found around the world. I did appreciate the frequent rice and beans, giving the buffet a slightly Central American flavor. And lots of hot sauce bottles on the tables!

Five dives a day will make you behave.

Very few come to CCV who want anything less than every bit of diving they can get.

I believe that the main Clubhouse goes into quiet mode at 10pm.

Most people skip the mid-week dinner outing to a local restaurant- not willing to miss a night dive.

It presents itself as nothing more than a “dive resort”. That’s a label that a lot of Roatan visitors don’t have well-defined. CCV guests know what they’re buying.

It’s not a vacation with diving, it’s a dive vacation.

IMG_3506.jpeg

If you want to call that stuff hot sauce, Lorenzoid. I splashed al lot of every one of the bottles on my morning eggs, barely gave my tougue a tingle.
Honest, I was expecting/hoping for something Honduran, but it seems that the ethnic food of choice there was purely Mexican.
Our ocean front room was great. Plenty of size, especially since I'm more used to a cramped liveaboard cabin. I'm just still not sold on Roatan diving.

If you want to call that stuff hot sauce, Lorenzoid. I splashed al lot of every one of the bottles on my morning eggs, barely gave my tougue a tingle.
Honest, I was expecting/hoping for something Honduran, but it seems that the ethnic food of choice there was purely Mexican.
Ha ha. The labels on the hot sauce bottles I looked at said they were made in Costa Rica. Neither Costa Rica nor Honduras is known for spicy food. But I often say, "everyone likes Mexican food," and that includes Central Americans and North Americans. Ask an American what food they miss when they've been out of the US for a long time, and the most common answers are probably Mexican/Tex-Mex food and pizza. The Honduran empanada-like food known as a baleada would have been nice, but the Tex-Mex was fine with me. Sadly, the only baleada I ate on this trip was in the airport on the way home.

Yeah, it was all fine with me too. Tasty. And we did not have pizza.
My home town is 70% latino, mostly Mexican, so I'm very used to that at home. I'm always amazed how far that particular cuisine travels. Taco day on the Truk Odyssey was the furthest I believe.

Now that I'm back on the diving circuit, December is Philippines, a French restaurant at the resort, should I expect more tacos?

Now that I'm back on the diving circuit, December is Philippines, a French restaurant at the resort, should I expect more tacos?
In the Philippines, there truly does exist a “local cuisine”, and it is available to the casual visitor. Look for their version of baleda, and my happy yummy-Chicken Adobo.

When heading to Roatan, we always bring the DMs Wasabi Peas, Atomic Fireballs and that Chinese Mustard (bulk bottles, not packets).

As to Roatan (and the Bay Islsnds), there is only one actual real-deal local food, that is: Beans and Rice. Everything else is an imported thought.

CCV will serve that to you at any meal, just as they will meet most any (odd, unusual or ____) dietary request, but rice & beans.., it’s always there at every lunch. If you really want it.

That is, in all seriousness, the only true local cuisine. It makes the cognoscenti laugh when we hear travelers seek “local food”. We laugh harder when they describe where they believe they located it on the West End strip.

Beans & Rice.

Beans & Rice.
What about plantains? Fried plantains were available at breakfast along with those beans. I think CCV did a good job of including a little local flavor. You'd be surprised (just an expression--you would not be surprised) at how many dive resorts make zero effort to do that.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom