West Beach Paddlewheeler 3-6-7 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Mikey Paul and I hit up the West Beach Paddlewheeler this afternoon. Airtemps around 65F when we hit the water, cooler when we got out, but not too horribly frigid. Water temp at 60F. Visibility on the beach was 15-20', but dropped to 3-10' on the wreck itself depending on location. The Paddlewheeler has a tremendous amount of silt on it for whatever reason. More life is showing up, hard to find an area on the wreck that isn't covered in sponge, or anenome compared to my last dive on it a month ago. Lots of blennies and urchins. Saw an electric skate a puffer and a ton of very healthy sheepshead - ready to be shot :) Dove for ~40 minutes before my buddy got too cold(he even borroed my hoodvest, the panzy!). Hit a max depth of 16'.

Hit up hooters for some of the hottest 3 Mile Wings I've ever had, needless to say, beer hit the spot.

Fun dive to finish up the weekday. Looking forward to this weekends diving :)

Its on West Beach in Gulf Shores :p

Comeon out this way and I'll show you the Whiskey, which is a great dive. WB Paddlewheeler is more of a local secret though - nothing personal :p

No problem, I have heard stories of some paddle wheels of the coast near Fort Morgan but I heard they are hard to find and even harder to dive. Either way I hope to get down there soon.

That one is in the bay, and visibility isn't all that great(even by my terms) in most cases.

West Beach Paddlewheeler is off the beach(gulfside) in Gulf Shores. Different boat, fun dive, but there are others that are much easier to get access to - like the Whiskey Wreck, which I'll gladly show anyone :)

Hello Mat
Was sheepsheads all you seen worth shooting? No grays on site? With the cobia season on it's way soon would you think it might be worth keeping an eye on? They should be moving soon

Not yet, too cold for them off the beaches, they'll stay deeper(warmer) for a little while still. Just some BIG ole sheepshead on the wreck at the moment.

Any shootable sheepshead on the Whiskey? I spent a few hours in the water with the manatees and have decided cold water is not all that bad. I would like to try out the old pole spear and get a nice meal. Thanks

Mike

Definately :)

A couplpl of us are talking about heading out the the Big O and thought we would do some beach diving while we were in the gulf. I will let you know when the trip is planed.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom