Well, I'm taking the plunge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^^ yeah, I always ask for the meter.

But I thought from the airport there's a base charge / flat rate since to get a cab you need to ask one of the people at the taxi booth?

edit: and the cabs stick out. I usually don't get the coloured cabs (I've seen green, blue, and red), only the white ones. I'm sure there's no difference, although the white ones are the most common.

Well guys and galls of the PPD, it's now official that I'm going to be doing my DM course in Puerto Galera as many of you suggested to me! Following BabyD's advice, I contacted Ethei of the Dive-dojo and talked it over with him a bit. He was very nice and seems to really know his stuff, on top of being highly recommended, so I said lets go and do this thing!!!!! :D:D:D As BabyD mentioned, it's important to get a competent instructor for this type of course, so I put an X on Malapascua. Oh yeah, the isolation of the island also got me thinking about it...:D:D

Anyways, I'm going for 5 weeks and my girlfriend is coming to meet me for the last 2. Hopefully we'll get some time to visit a bit at the end. I was even thinking of a quick trip to Donsol to snorkel with the sharks( Anybody know how long this is by bus)? All I need to settle now is my plane tickets (my original plan of using airmiles to get to LA and take it from there was foiled; no more airmiles reserved seats left!:shakehead:). Oh yeah and lodging. Does anybody have any recommendations for budget long-term (1 month) accomodation in PG? All I need is a failry clean room with a fan and preferably a toilet (in case I get sick:no). I also heard about something in the area called a "Baranguay", which seems to be a rental house or something of the sort. Anybody know about these? Any advice? Anyways, Ethei the instructor is looking out for something and basically suggested me getting there first and then seing from there.

I just wanted to thank everybody here who helped me out with all my questions, either by answering, or by hijacking my thread (causing much entertainment).:coffee: It was really great to have you all there for support! My trip should be around mid february to mid march. If ever any of you are in PG at that time, make sure to drop by and say hi or contact me! I'll be the one without a tan!:rofl3: We can go for a few beers!:coffee:

The only sad thing about doing a long course like this is I won,t get to visit all the different diving areas of the Philippines!:( Oh well...

Codman, you orriginally asked about the bus ride to Donsol? It's about 12-18 hours by bus from Manilla, but only a 45 min air flight. Puerto Galers is a great place, I was there in 2005 with my wife and dtr and gradnchildren, and enjoyed the place. we dove through Action Divers on Little LaLaguna beach, and stayed at the Deep lue Sea Inn. try their Margarhita pizza!!
My wife and I will be in Cebu Feb 9-16, then returning to Bataan to be with family. sorry if we miss you!
You're in for a great time:D

Oh yeah, I had another question for you all. When grabbing a taxi from the Manila airport, any tips on how to avoid the "rip off artists" and tell if it is a reputable cab? Are there specific areas to get a cab? A specific company? Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated since I don't want to walk into a "crooked" cab at 12:00 pm with all my bags and stuff.

Salamat everyone!:coffee:

Pretty safe nowadays. Couple of things you can do. When you exit after picking up your luggage, look for the Taxi counter where the rates are fixed (tell the counter girl which hotel you're going to and they'll give you a slip). I forget if it's the PAL terminal or the Int'l Terminal where the counter is inside to the left of the luggage exit. Skip the stands immediately near the exit. Prices are more than a regular cab, but it's an improvement from the madness before when regular cabs were allowed in.

Another option and possibly cheaper if you don't mind lugging your bags - head up to the departure level and grab a cab that is dropping off people. You can usually haggle or get lucky with one who is willing to use their meter.

do they include complementary cigars in the oval room if you book 2 consecutive nites? :eyebrow:

only if you dont soil the lady's dress. otherwise the cigar money goes to dry cleaning...

Wow guys, the room themes seem a bit too much (hmmm. unless the austin powers room comes with all the film cast...:D:D), but they also seem to have regular rooms at really low rates!!!! So some of you have stayed there and it was OK? I'm going to e.mail them and see about availability...

So, which of these hotels is the nearest of the airport? Malate? or another?

Oh yeah, I had another question for you all. When grabbing a taxi from the Manila airport, any tips on how to avoid the "rip off artists" and tell if it is a reputable cab? Are there specific areas to get a cab? A specific company? Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated since I don't want to walk into a "crooked" cab at 12:00 pm with all my bags and stuff.

Samalat everyone!:coffee:
well... nobody will admit having stayed there hahahahaha (motels here are a popular place to bring your lady friend for a 3-hour "short time")

but the victoria court is upscale and much more professionally run...

anyway, the closest to the airport is PASAY... it'll probably be a 10 minute run, 20 with traffic... 5 in the wee hours of the morning

re cabs: airport to pasay on coupon cabs would be about US$5... they're safe, although faaaaar more expensive than the 1-2$ you'll spend on a regular fare cab... if the difference is not a biggie, get the coupon

Jag

Ha ha Jag, some things are the same all around the world! But the hotels here are a lot more expensive... As long as it's clean and safe, i don,t mind if people are bringing their lady friends to the same hotel! So the Pasay hotel is the closest? Is that the "Pasig" hotel in the list of their website? Are there other viable choices if there is no room? Malate?

So if I understand correctly, for taxis I have the choice of getting a fixed rate coupon before leaving the terminal, or going outside and asking one of the taxis to take me to the hotel using the meter (which would also be cheaper?).

Oh, and the plane ticket is booked! I arrive in Manilla February 9th (late unfortunately), and depart from manila March 15th (really early:shakehead:).

Can't wait!:coffee:

Thanks!

well... nobody will admit having stayed there hahahahaha (motels here are a popular place to bring your lady friend for a 3-hour "short time")

but the victoria court is upscale and much more professionally run...

anyway, the closest to the airport is PASAY... it'll probably be a 10 minute run, 20 with traffic... 5 in the wee hours of the morning

re cabs: airport to pasay on coupon cabs would be about US$5... they're safe, although faaaaar more expensive than the 1-2$ you'll spend on a regular fare cab... if the difference is not a biggie, get the coupon

Jag

Pasay is different than Pasig (Pasay being closer to the airport).

Just a question - how are you travelling to PG? Is the resort handling the transfer from Manila or will you be commuting by bus to Batangas Pier and then take the ferry over? If you'll be commuting by bus you can stay at pasig and from there you can cab it to the bus station fairly quickly (in the wee morning hours). The bus also stops in Pasay.

Also about Donsol - I've taken the 10-hour overnight bus ride to Legaspi, and from there you can transfer to a bus to Donsol which will take an additional 1 hour about. I'm not sure if there's a direct bus to Donsol from Manila, but if you find one let me know.

edit: just checked the DOT website and doesn't mention any direct bus.

Well, I'm planning on taking the bus to batangas. i'm not staying with a resort, so... It's also part of the adventure I think...:D I honnestly have no idea where to look for bus schedules though! Is there a website?
So Pasig would be good for the bus next morning, eh? I'm going to look into it...

Salamat!:coffee:

Pasay is different than Pasig (Pasay being closer to the airport).

Just a question - how are you travelling to PG? Is the resort handling the transfer from Manila or will you be commuting by bus to Batangas Pier and then take the ferry over? If you'll be commuting by bus you can stay at pasig and from there you can cab it to the bus station fairly quickly (in the wee morning hours). The bus also stops in Pasay.

Also about Donsol - I've taken the 10-hour overnight bus ride to Legaspi, and from there you can transfer to a bus to Donsol which will take an additional 1 hour about. I'm not sure if there's a direct bus to Donsol from Manila, but if you find one let me know.

edit: just checked the DOT website and doesn't mention any direct bus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom