Weighting options with BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I have started to buy equipment, and I am going with a BP/W setup instead of a BCD. What are the weighting options? I know that some BCDs have pockets for weights but that seems like a non-starter with a BP/W. My setup will be a Hollis steel backplate (around 6 lbs. right there) with an OxyCheq Mach V Wing. I haven't picked a harness yet.

I will be diving in cold water with a 7 mm full wetsuit, hood, 6 mm booties, 5 mm gloves, and maybe a 3 mm vest. So it'll probably take some weight to get me negative at the surface.

Obviously, I can wear a weight belt, but being able to move weight off my waist will probably be desirable. Are there weights that can be stashed elsewhere?

Someone mentioned a rubber weight belt in another thread. I am not familiar with that, having only used the cheapie rental canvas belts. What is the advantage of a rubber weight belt?

Rubber weight belts don't become as loose when your suit compresses.

You can definitely put weight pockets on a backplate harness, as well as trim weights on your cam bands, or in your single tanks adaptor if you are using one: http://halcyon.net/bc/acb

Some plates let you use bolt on weights.

The biggest advantage of a rubber belt is that it self compensates for the compression of your suit at depth and so does not loosen / move as you descend.

You can buy integrated-style ditchable pockets; you can buy weight harnesses that allow you to distribute the weights; attach weights to your backplate; weighted STA; non-ditchable trim weight pockets; weights threaded directly onto your BP/W webbing; bungee attachment; there are actually all kinds of options.

I just discovered the bungee method thanks to a NetDoc tip, and it might be a good interim step while you play with trim and before committing to spending money elsewhere without knowing how you really want to wear the weight. Or you could find it good enough on its own.

Try and split the weights so that your rig is neutral and you are neutral at depth. If for any reason you need to take your rig off (entangelment, gear issue) the last think you need is for the rig to be 20lb's negative and you 20lbs positive.

Try and split the weights so that your rig is neutral and you are neutral at depth. If for any reason you need to take your rig off (entangelment, gear issue) the last think you need is for the rig to be 20lb's negative and you 20lbs positive.

Indeed, or wing failure...

If for any reason you need to take your rig off (entangelment, gear issue) the last think you need is for the rig to be 20lb's negative and you 20lbs positive.

since we're not deep in the tech forum...

if running a rec setup with a BP/W, with the weight belt OVER the crotch strap, doff/don with body and rig balanced seems to be a tall order. if you run the weight belt non ditchable, with the crotch strap over it, its possible to do a balanced doff/don if setup correctly, but then you lose easily ditchable weight. damned if you do, damned if you dont.

haven't had much luck running without a crotch strap, nor do i have a good solution for the situation. thought about using a weight belt under the crotch strap with ditchable weight pockets, but that seems a bit over the top.

if you're in overhead / constrained environments where being able to perform a balanced ditch/don is a _requirement_, you're gonna be running a non ditch weight tech setup anyway.

Indeed, or wing failure...

carry a lift bag for redundant buoyancy.

I have been using a belt under the crotch strap with individual pockets for years. Two I can access easily and drop.anywhere from 2-10 lbs depending on what I put in them. Simple matter of open pocket, take out weight, drop it or hand off to student who for whatever reason is just a tad light. Often carry two 2lb weights I don't really need this way when working with getting someone weighted and trimmed out. I even have new pockets that have a clip in addition to the velcro that I mount upside down to make getting the weights out easier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If you go for a hogarthian setup, all straps are potential attachment points for weights. You can determine where to place the weights in order to enhance trim. Heavy legs? Place weights on shoulder straps. Head heavy? Place weights on back of crotch straps.
You can use netdoc's method to determine where to best place the weights but I would recommend threading them through the straps anyhow.
This in conjunction with a weight belt (ditchable or not) should work well.
If you plan on getting tec trained, do contact your instructor before committing to any gear. This may save you $$$

Back
Top Bottom