Weighting options with BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try and split the weights so that your rig is neutral and you are neutral at depth. If for any reason you need to take your rig off (entangelment, gear issue) the last think you need is for the rig to be 20lb's negative and you 20lbs positive.

When I first switched to BP/W I thought about putting more weight on my backplate. Like Ricky, I was wearing 7mm, tunic, gloves, hood, boots, etc. so it took a fair amount to sink me. On my first attempt I found my 27 lb wing would barely float all my gear when it was fully inflated because all my weight was on my backplate. Additionally, the first time I practiced taking my gear off underwater I found myself incredibly positively buoyant. The moment I took my backplate off I started floating.

I now rely on the fact that my tank (steel instead of aluminum) takes weight off my belt plus my backplate is heavier than a BCD (thus takes more weight off my belt). So my remaining weight all goes on a belt.

If you use a crotch strap and put the weight belt over the crotch strap, taking your gear off will be difficult (if not impossible) without removing your weights. If you put your weights under the crotch strap then ditching your weights would require you to unbuckle your harness. The instructor who introduced me to BP/W recommends diving without a crotch strap.

The best solution I have been able to come up with would be a weight harness with ditchable weight. You put ditchable weight pockets on a weight harness. You put on the weight harness. Over all this you put on your BP/W. If you need to take your gear off underwater, you can without taking off the weights. If you need to ditch your weight, you can use the weight harness release system to ditch the weights without taking off your BP/W.

since we're not deep in the tech forum...

if running a rec setup with a BP/W, with the weight belt OVER the crotch strap, doff/don with body and rig balanced seems to be a tall order. if you run the weight belt non ditchable, with the crotch strap over it, its possible to do a balanced doff/don if setup correctly, but then you lose easily ditchable weight. damned if you do, damned if you dont.

haven't had much luck running without a crotch strap, nor do i have a good solution for the situation. thought about using a weight belt under the crotch strap with ditchable weight pockets, but that seems a bit over the top.

if you're in overhead / constrained environments where being able to perform a balanced ditch/don is a _requirement_, you're gonna be running a non ditch weight tech setup anyway.

carry a lift bag for redundant buoyancy.

Personally I have no trouble ditching my weight belt and I wear it under crotch strap. If one is that worried about ditching in a hurry then a crotch strap with QR buckle will make life easier. Agee, a lift bag can provide redundant buoyancy but reality is many people do not practice deploying and in a real emergency for many this task at this time is simply beyond them. This is also assuming one has air to inflate the LB. A balanced rig, as much as is possible, is a better idea together with attentive buddy.

Last edited:
I just purchased this and I'm awaiting it to arrive:

XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket w/Velcro Front | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I'm curious if anyone else has used this on their waist band to add extra weight.

I use those on my cam band as the tag end of the band can anchor down. I have used the non-velcro faced ones on my waist belt, the quick detachable ones, and also the quick dump ones. These pouches are wonderful, and inexpensive.

They also make for a nice spot to stash a thumb spool.....

Personally I have no trouble ditching my weight belt and I wear it under crotch strap. If one is that worried about ditching in a hurry then a crotch strap with QR buckle will make life easier. [...]. A balanced rig, as much as is possible, is a better idea together with attentive buddy.

scrapping the redundant buoyancy discussion as its off topic from OP.

i do run a QR buckle on my crotch strap; it (crotch strap) managed to get tangled around the backside of the weight belt during a ditch drill after the belt had cleared the bottom of the plate. needless to say, that rattled me just a bit. maybe when i get up to 1000+ dives it may be easier, but for now ill take intuitive one step ditch rather than two step (QR, then weight belt) and having to think about it.

balanced rig with a pocketed weight belt under the strap seems the best of both worlds for rec diving.

I have a Mako rubber belt with the tinman weights and I absolutely love it. Also, those guys at Mako are very military friendly, so that's a +2 in my book.

I never use any additional weight when diving other than whats in my steel tanks, backplate, cam band buckles, D rings, knife, and regulator. Depending on exposure suit I change my backplate ( steel or kydex) and cam bands buckles (plastic or steel, my stainless cam band buckles total 3 lbs). I figure out my needed configuration prior to each dive such that I am never more than 10lbs negative overall (at the start of the dive) and attempt to be as close to neutral at my safety stop. This way even if I have a bc failure (bc shell is made of kevlar and I rinse the bladder after every dive and store it slightly inflated), I know I can still swim up 10 lbs. I also keep a 25lb lift bag with me to send up fish or for emergencies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like XS Scuba's pocket weight belt XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts . I use one with 6 pockets total.

My usual rec dive is a steel BP, 32lb wing, AL80 tank and a 5mm wetsuit. I put the weight belt on first, then BP with the crotch strap over the weight belt. I guess about 10lbs lead in the belt. First dive of a trip I'll put an extra weight over what I think I need in one pocket. I want to make sure I can get down easy, and if I don't need it I pull it out and put it by the anchor line and grab it on the way up. Crotch strap is over the weight belt.

I do practice ditching weights- pop the crotch QR and then drop the belt. If for some crazy reason the weight belt came loose accidentally, the crotch strap will probably keep it from falling off. For travel I don't necessarily have the same exact setup every time, and this belt lets me adjust easily on the fly.

I like the weight split between the rig with the steel backplate, and the lead on my waist. Trim is real easy and I'm close to neutral without the rig on. STA will put more weight on the rig, same with single pocket on a tank strap.

I'm sure this isn't approved by XYZ, but it's flexible and works for me. I might even use split fins if no one is looking.

I have started to buy equipment, and I am going with a BP/W setup instead of a BCD. What are the weighting options? I know that some BCDs have pockets for weights but that seems like a non-starter with a BP/W. My setup will be a Hollis steel backplate (around 6 lbs. right there) with an OxyCheq Mach V Wing. I haven't picked a harness yet.

I will be diving in cold water with a 7 mm full wetsuit, hood, 6 mm booties, 5 mm gloves, and maybe a 3 mm vest. So it'll probably take some weight to get me negative at the surface.

Obviously, I can wear a weight belt, but being able to move weight off my waist will probably be desirable. Are there weights that can be stashed elsewhere?

Someone mentioned a rubber weight belt in another thread. I am not familiar with that, having only used the cheapie rental canvas belts. What is the advantage of a rubber weight belt?

Ricky;

I run 4 weight pockets on my BP/Wing setup. 2 are on the bottom cam strap and 2 are zip tied to the left and right side of my backplate. The 2 on the backplate also connect to my waist strap so they act like weight integrated pockets. I balance my rig so that on the surface i am vertical to slightly back under full inflation of my wing ( no falling forward sensation) , yet under water i can do a horizontal twist without feeling one side ( front or back) being more negative than the other.

I use this configuration when diving wet and dry.

Hope this helps.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For diving around home (dry) I use a DUI weight harness. For warm water vacations (wet) I usually put pouches on my waist straps. I never really liked weight belts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom