Weighting options with BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I get it now. Thanks. My BP should get in this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all fits together.

Yes. Also, I like to leave a long tail that I secure with tire tubing.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you trim the tail?

You totally could. I like having a decent amount to grip on to if I'm ditching the weight. Now that you mention it, when I get rid of my BC and go to the BP/W set up, thus reducing my bulk and improving my mobility, I may very well trim it down.

The best reason not to trim the tail is to aid a rescuer should you be the one in trouble. Having someone try to find, let alone grab, a short piece of any belt adds to the time needed for the rescuer to help ditch lead.

While it may be a moot point in a cave or inside a wreck with very experienced divers, new divers should have no trouble locating another divers weight release device. The tail is easy to spot and, if the diver was properly trained in the OW class, should be an instinctive item to go for when assisting a diver struggling to maintain buoyancy at the surface.

You have to remember that a key consideration is that your gear be configured for easy self rescue and so that it is easy for another to rescue you.

Is this no longer being emphasized or even talked about in basic training? I know my basic class didn't even come close to the time I spend on this issue but we did at least cover it to some degree.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The best reason not to trim the tail is to aid a rescuer should you be the one in trouble. Having someone try to find, let alone grab, a short piece of any belt adds to the time needed for the rescuer to help ditch lead.

You make a good point, but take a look at the photos in post #39 (if you haven't already) and let me know if he couldn't trim the tail. If not, then is it your opinion that the best option is not to trim the tail at all but to double it over as ludwigsv has done?

Another question: could the loop that is formed by doubling over constitute an entanglement hazard, with a risk that catching the loop on something might cause the buckle to release?

I am inquiring, not debating the issue. I have a Mako rubber belt on order, and I am trying to figure out what to do with what I expect will be excess length.

Ludwigsv, how hard is it to pull out the tail with it being doubled over under a rubber keeper. On land, there might be some friction but my guess is that under water, it would slide more easily. What has been your experience with it? Have you tried releasing the belt under water? One concern that I would have is that if you pull the tail at a right angle to the body, it might have trouble releasing the buckle whereas a tug on a shorter tail would release the buckle right away.

Again, I am not debating any issue here, just wondering. Thanks for all the replies.

You make a good point, but take a look at the photos in post #39 (if you haven't already) and let me know if he couldn't trim the tail. If not, then is it your opinion that the best option is not to trim the tail at all but to double it over as ludwigsv has done?

Another question: could the loop that is formed by doubling over constitute an entanglement hazard, with a risk that catching the loop on something might cause the buckle to release?

I am inquiring, not debating the issue. I have a Mako rubber belt on order, and I am trying to figure out what to do with what I expect will be excess length.

Ludwigsv, how hard is it to pull out the tail with it being doubled over under a rubber keeper. On land, there might be some friction but my guess is that under water, it would slide more easily. What has been your experience with it? Have you tried releasing the belt under water? One concern that I would have is that if you pull the tail at a right angle to the body, it might have trouble releasing the buckle whereas a tug on a shorter tail would release the buckle right away.

Again, I am not debating any issue here, just wondering. Thanks for all the replies.

Good questions. Not hard to pull on land or in the water. The rubber tubbing stretches as need be, but it also slides very well. As far as the loop being a hazard, I'm not concerned. Right now I'm still wearing a Zeagle Ranger BC, so that loop is actually tucked underneath the side panel and not exposed to anything. However, once my BP/W gets here it will be a different story. I still do not think it is a risk though. You could always tuck your loop into another innertube to keep it flush with the belt.

In all honestly, once I'm in my harness I plan to take a very careful look at where everything is and then make a decision to either trim that tail, or tuck that loop under a second innertube. If I trim the tail down, I will still keep it long enough that I will double it over in the same fashion as now, I will only trim it in order to reduce the size of the loop that's created.

You're really going to enjoy you Mako belt. It's a great product sold by some really great folks. When you're putting the Tinman weights on, I suggest putting your innertube loops on first, then trim the non-buckle side of the belt to a sharp point. As you slide the weights down, you'll need to stretch the belt. It's fairly intuitive once you've played with it for a bit.

I have a Mako rubber belt on order, and I am trying to figure out what to do with what I expect will be excess length.
I would suggest you make a few dives with the Mako belt before cutting the tail, that's what I'm doing. As ludwigsv stated, you will need to trim the end to a blunt point so it will fit through a Tin Man weight. I've been happy so far to just tuck the extra belt into a loop and leave it like that. I wouldn't worry about an accidental release as the belt takes a pretty good tug to make it release if it was snugged up to begin with.

quick question, did anyone ever tried to put the XS quick release pockets on the Mako belt?
do they fit?

quick question, did anyone ever tried to put the XS quick release pockets on the Mako belt?
do they fit?

Our rubber belt fits most standard lead weights. The manufacturer's description of those pockets indicates that they will fit a standard 2-inch belt.

I would be very surprised if they are not compatible. If you order our belt and it is not compatible, please lets us know. Reference this post and we will issue a full refund.

thanks

Dano

Wow thanx. I have a belt in the mail from you. I will let you know if it does or doesn't work.

Talk about great service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom