Weighting options with BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP:

I dive a 30lb Apex wing, SS Backplate and STA with a steel 15l (HP120?) cylinder. At this tie of year I'm diving a full 7mm suit and 4mm hood. I carry 8lbs of additional weight in trim pockets on the upper and lower cam bands (4lbs upper and 6lbs on the lower)

It is possible for a buddy to dump from the rear pockets (or myself if I fumbled around) HOWEVER! 4 weeks ago I had a wing failure - the inflator went into free flow - I disconnected it and dumped all my air in the wing to stop an uncontrolled ascent from 20m (65 feet) Even from that depth with 2/3rds full tank I was able to swim the rig up with no real effort. At the surface the 7mm wetsuit is quite buoyant. so in my case I'm not stressed about ditchable weights.

On a dive last weekend at the safety stop I was a bit positive (having used the same weight) - it turned out that when I'd been upside down taking a picture the velcro on one of my Scubapro X tech pockets had come undone and a 2lb weight had dropped out.

My point here is: if your weighting is spot on you should be able to swim up a single cylinder rig in a wetsuit. if you're really worried - put a pocket on your waist belt and carry a couple of lbs there - it should't take much to get you positive from rec depths

Re trim pockets, I previously mentioned the DR pockets as being cheap I just bought some and would not recommend them they cannot be tightened so if the weight you are using is small it slops around in the pocket. I also have Halcyon and ScubaPro ones both are, IMO, better as the buckle can be tightened.

Our rubber belt fits most standard lead weights. The manufacturer's description of those pockets indicates that they will fit a standard 2-inch belt.

I would be very surprised if they are not compatible. If you order our belt and it is not compatible, please lets us know. Reference this post and we will issue a full refund.

thanks

Dano

For everyone's info. I got my mako belt yesterday and the xs pockets do fit on it. They are really tight and won't move.

What a great belt. 1 month until wet time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For everyone's info. I got my mako belt yesterday and the xs pockets do fit on it. They are really tight and won't move.

What a great belt. 1 month until wet time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confirmation. Please let us know how the belt feels after a few dives...

Dive Safe

dano

Back
Top Bottom