Weight Pockets + backplate weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWMurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heres how the weight pocket project went...

After a entire evening of my life that I will never get back I decided I would not be able to sew pockets together by this weekend. I had taken some cordura and after sewing a webbing strap to what was to be the back side, doubled it over a piece of plastic I cut from a plastic shoebox lid. This is to give it rigidity. Then folded up the bottom so that it came to about the top of the plastic plate. I punched a hole and placed a brass gromet. Then sewed the sides. I still need to fold the sides in to the desired size, sew on the piping, and add my closure system to the top flap.

To get something ready for this weekend I picked up two Deep Outdoors bags being sold really cheap as surplus by my lds. Again I cut plastic plates to give rigidity. Punched what was to be the bottom and placed a brass gromet. Then with some aluminum rivets and stainless washers I mounted the plate in the back of the bags and mounted the webbing straps. The are bigger than what I ultimately want to end up with, and hold way more weight than I will ever need, but they will work nicely for now. Should I ever need to ditch weight all I have to do is unzip and the weight falls out the bottom.

Another recent project was my first "smelting incident"

I took some plastic wrap and placed it in the recess of my backplate. Mixed up some plaster and made a mold. Used that mold to for a duplicate of my recess. Then melted 12 lbs of lead on the bbq grill and poured it in the mold. I drilled out recessed for my bolts, drilled a hole in the center for mounting, and VIOLA - 12 lbs right where I wanted it!

Any special kind of plaster and how well did the plaster mold survive the pour?

awap:
Any special kind of plaster and how well did the plaster mold survive the pour?

Just plain old casting plaster from the crafts store. Took the pour just fine. I had to do it a couple of times because I wasn't smart enough to preheat the mold. Once cooled the weight popped right out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom