DIY Backplate covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not meaning to be critical, because that's a nice job, but what purpose do they serve?
They look nice. I think the only real purpose is esthetic.

Have you tried it? I have one concern. If you are diving without any suit, the plastic book screws seem to rest against your back, could be uncomfortable? I would think the Halcyon's inifinity design, fold the edge of the pad to the back, so book screws are under the pad maybe more comfortable.
Trying them out this weekend!

Not meaning to be critical, because that's a nice job, but what purpose do they serve?

You can keep a lift bag or folded SMB in the space between the pad and the backplate, clipped off to the butt ring. The elastic adds a little bit of padding for when you're out of the water. But, yeah, 70% is because I thought it looked cool. You know, the important stuff.

For DIYer, a lot of what we do isn't about practicality, it is the hobby. OP could have bought for less money if pad is what he/she wants. I recently mess with Titanium d rings (withou success :(). If I really need Ti d-ring, I should have bought from Helium and call it done.

Speaking of titanium, I would definitely not cover up a titanium backplate. You want to be able to see that wonderful dull gray metal and say to yourself "MY PRECIOUS!"

If I can find Ti backplate can give me any advantages at all, I may just get one for the "My precious" effect, but I cannot. It is 1.5x+ the weight of AL. I even have a Ti STA, which I don't use at all. I use AL as travel, SS+lead insert at home water

For DIYer, a lot of what we do isn't about practicality, it is the hobby. OP could have bought for less money if pad is what he/she wants. I recently mess with Titanium d rings (withou success :(). If I really need Ti d-ring, I should have bought from Helium and call it done.

But what's the fun in buying something you can make.

If you have skills or want to learn a skill, building something gives you pride in your work and what you accomplished

That is one reason popular mechanics magazines where full of plans to build stuff,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom