Weight - Cold 7mm Fresh to Warm 3mm Salt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm 70ish dives in. Most in mountain lakes here in Utah and left coast ocean out of San Diego. Always in a 7mm water temps range from 55-65 degrees.

Playing hookie this weekend for one day of a business trip to dive with Jupiter Dive Center in FL where current water temps are around 87. I may rent a 3mm while I am there but may just wear shorts and a rash guard. Shoot water that warm why wear anything at all. :wink:

Anyways question on weighting.

In Utah I dive a medium SS DSS BPW with the weight plates attached. The plate itself weighs 4.7lbs the plates are 8.1lbs = 12.8 let's say 13. I do not need any other weight, have no ditchable weight and feel like I am pretty perfectly weighted.

We have an oddity here in Utah called the Homestead Crater. Geothermal heated. Water temp is always 95ish year round. When I dive there I just take the weight plates off and use only my SS plate, again no ditchable and no other weight.

I am bringing my DSS rig with me to Florida. But I am trying to figure out:

How much weight to use as a starting point (maybe the 4.7 that I use at the Crater) and then how much difference do I need for Salt and the possible 3mm? My guess is maybe 6lbs for Salt does the 3mm need a lb or two?

Should I just bring my weight plates and maybe be a few lbs over? Or just throw a couple pounds on a belt and call it good? Or do you think I can get by with no weight and just my SS similar to the way I dive the Crater?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I may rent a 3mm while I am there but may just wear shorts and a rash guard. Shoot water that warm why wear anything at all. :wink:

Anyways question on weighting.

In Utah I dive a medium SS DSS BPW with the weight plates attached. The plate itself weighs 4.7lbs the plates are 8.1lbs = 12.8 let's say 13. I do not need any other weight have no ditchablditch able and feel like I am pretty perfectly weighted.

13# in f.w. in a 7 mm sounds about like me.
I'd lose 4-6# going 7mm to a 3 mm and add 4# going f.w. to salt. So, taking off 2# would be my guesstimate. If you dump your plates with a 3mm, you'd need a small weight belt. With just a rash guard, you'd be more even.
But I didn't see that you specified tanks. My comparison calcs are based on my steel tanks. If you are switching from steel at home to aluminum in FL, you'll be 3.5# lighter, and may need a plate or a bigger weight belt with your 3mm. You might be perfect with a rash guard and one plate, but then your trim is off. If your tanks aren't changing, then you will be fine.

Last edited:
Aluminum 80 at home. Whatever I can rent in Jupiter. (On Jupiter sounds cooler).

Last edited:
I take off 16 pounds going from 7mm to 3mm and add 8 pounds going from fresh to ocean.

Going from 3mm to a rasher I take off 10 pounds. Both my 7mm and 3mm suits are two piece suits with hoods, size 3XL.

Hard to say for sure without experimenting, but I would guess that with your backplate alone you'll be overweighted with a rasher and about right in 3mm.

First reply corrected

So, Al to Al rental and 3mm - small weight belt.
Al to rental steel, you're fine with backpack and no plates.

With a rash guard you're slightly heavy w/Al.
With rental steel tank, rent a BCD

Last edited:
Some is going to depend on you not your gear. In warm salt water I use a full 3mm suit with my aluminum plate and aluminum tank and 0 lead if I used my SST plate I would sink like a lawn dart. I’m 6’ 185lbs.

With an AL plate, AL80 and 3mm in the ocean I add an additional 4 lbs.
In our lovely Crater I use no additional weight with an AL63

Thanks everyone. My dive in Jupiter got blown out today because of weather. I drove up to Blue Grotto and dove with a 3mm and no additional weight.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom