Wed Photo ~~ Seahorses, Pipefish and Odds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What about Seahorses, Pipefish, or anything odd?

aaf.jpg

aak.jpg

I love seahorses! Where's the best place to go to find these creatures? I was hoping to see some when I went to the virgin islands this year but no such luck. A lot of them look like they blend in pretty well to their backgrounds and are probably really hard to spot unless you are looking hard.

I see lots of Squid but I've only seen one Cuttlefish.

Agape...Seahorses can be right under your nose! My first several sightings were always after someone else had found them. And sometimes even then they had to almost touch it with a finger to point it out. Once I found my first one I started seeing them easily. One tip is you can't look for the whole seahorse, just look for little pieces of it. The curve of a neck, the grip of a tail, the profile of the face is all you're gonna see!

Place: Richelieu Rock, Thailand
fc9f3fe9.jpg

Place: Western Rocky, Myanmar
fc9f3fe6.jpg

Place: High Rock, Myanmar
fc9f3ac1.jpg

Cool Pipefish, Juv! I was hoping someone would have some to show. I'm still hunting for my first one. There is one in the Caribbean called the Harlequin Pipefish that has bold brown and yellow alternating bands, very snake-like. I saw a part of one deep inside some Lettuce Coral but no photos.

The pipefish are great! The last one in the first post looks like a first cousin to our Caribbean version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom