Trip Report Homecoming at Buceo Anilao: Critters, Comfort & Chef Teddy's Soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our 6-week Philippine diving adventure culminated perfectly at Buceo Anilao Beach & Dive Resort. It wasn't just the last stop on our adventure; it felt like a homecoming after our stays at Atmosphere and Magic Oceans (conveniently booked through Blue Water Travel).We spent three relaxing weeks at Buceo Anilao, this time treating ourselves to a deluxe room. It was a spacious haven with everything we needed – a work area to catch up on emails and work on my diving videos, plenty of universal outlets to keep our devices charged, and a big balcony with comfy chairs. The view from the balcony, by the way, was incredible – a feature shared by all deluxe and superior rooms.

Underwater photographers are well-catered to here. Four large camera rinse tanks and a well-equipped camera room (though it does get a bit warm in there) ensure your gear is properly cared for. Dives take place from traditional Filipino "bangkas," exploring over 40 nearby dive sites, the furthest being a pleasant 25-minute boat ride. I personally logged 41 dives, including four night dives and one black water dive.

Anilao truly deserves its nickname as the "Nudibranch Capital of the World." We saw all sorts of amazing creatures – colorful nudibranchs, adorable seahorses, those weird and wonderful ghost pipefish, perfectly camouflaged frogfish, and even one elusive rhinopias. Our guide, Joemar, was fantastic. He was always cheerful and kept a sharp eye out, making sure we didn't miss any hidden critters.

The food at the resort was very good, especially when Chef Teddy was cooking. They had a number of healthy options, and they were incredibly accommodating of our preference for a plant-based diet. They even went the extra mile to source beans and legumes for special vegan soups, which we really appreciated. Speaking of hidden gems, Chef Teddy makes a Filipino-style Mung Bean Soup that's not officially on the menu – definitely give it a try! The only dish we wouldn't recommend is the Mango Float – its deliciousness might have you craving it endlessly!

The staff at Buceo Anilao were all friendly and helpful, and the smooth-running dive operation added to the overall positive experience. We enjoyed some real downtime at the resort too, watching the sunsets by the pool and treating ourselves to afternoon massages. My wife especially recommends masseuse Cheryl.

One thing that really struck us was the number of repeat guests. We met people who came back even several times a year, which speaks volumes about Buceo Anilao's charm. We were definitely charmed by the place ourselves, and we can't wait to go back. Our second Anilao adventure was fantastic – incredible underwater sights and the warm hospitality of Buceo Anilao Beach & Dive Resort. See you next April!

Here is the link to a short Reel about our stay:

Attachments

• Buceo Resort.jpg
    Buceo Resort.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Delux Room 2.jpg
    Delux Room 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
  • BAlcony Buceo 2.jpg
    BAlcony Buceo 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 30
  • View from room Buceo.jpg
    View from room Buceo.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Restaurant Buceo.jpg
    Restaurant Buceo.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 24
Stayed there last year and planning on another trip next year too.

Thanks for the writeup and the great video! I'll be there in October so its a great primer. I see that the divers were wearing wetsuits,, but not sure how thick. How were your water temps?

Thanks for the writeup and the great video! I'll be there in October so its a great primer. I see that the divers were wearing wetsuits,, but not sure how thick. How were your water temps?
During our stay (April 20 - May 12) water temperature was 27 - 29 deg C. Many people were wearing 5mm or 3 mm wetsuits. My wife had a quite old 3mm wetsuit, which is now probably 1.5 mm, and she was fine. I was wearing a new 5mm wetsuit and I was fine as well:).

Even if the temperature is warm enough where you don’t need thermal protection, I think some operators will recommend some skin protection anyway if you are taking photos (they did to me ). If you are taking pictures of small critters on the sand you will obviously be on or very close to the bottom and there are a lot of scorpionfish and other stinging/poisonous things. A wetsuit will probably not help if you are 5 pounds overweight and plop down on something , but may help if you are trying to be careful but accidentally brush against something anyway.

Even if the temperature is warm enough where you don’t need thermal protection, I think some operators will recommend some skin protection
I always wear a full-suit skin/rashguard, even in the warmest of waters. Just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom