Weather, waves, winds, buoy data, and forecasts for CA sites on a single page

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES (re: broken images, not easy to read) I gave up on that other page after looking at it once.

Thanks for putting together a clean and simple page, Spock. It's been bookmarked.

Just FYI: The broken image thing can easily be taken care of by installing the root certificate which is explained on Chuck's page.

I've been looking at several pages as each one tends to give the information in a slightly different way.

Just FYI: The broken image thing can easily be taken care of by installing the root certificate which is explained on Chuck's page.

Sorry, I'm not going to install a root certificate from untrusted sources...

Not really. I might trust NAVY with my life, but not my computer and personal info stored on it. NAVY isn't a proper certificate authority.

So I dont know what your trust issues are, however this cert is issued by DISA.

CA Issuers: URI: http://crl.disa.mil/getsign?DOD CA-17

If its good enough for DISA its good enough for me. These certs are the issued by the same authority as those issued on all CAC cards that the DoD issues for identification, encryption, etc.

That being the case, while your page does look more 'modern' the flash doesn't work well on mobile devices. WinMo, iPhone, etc. so personally ill stick with chucks page. However, im sure theres some out there that would appreciate different presentation of this information.

On another note does the wave watch widget show the wave height or does all it say is overhead?

I don't get it! Why some of you guys are so negative??? I didn't and wouldn't say a word against Chuck's page. It's great! If you like it - go ahead and use it! I've been using it for a while myself. The purpose I put together my page is to have all data in easily readable format and available on a single page. Only because I find it convenient. I shared the URL with others - if you don't like it - fine, I don't care!!! As for the mobile devices, I don't use them, so again, I don't care. If you need a page for your iPhone - go ahead and create one.

Certificate issuer is not the issue. People who could potentially compromise the cert at this location are. If they failed to obtain a cert from a public authority and use it in their application - I don't trust the application. Another question is: why they need an SSL cert there anyway??? It's just an image generator with publicly accessible URL.

Who said anyone was being negative? I was asking questions and actually promoted your page.

If you want my real honest opinion, its not necessary. The swell information is too large scale, the wave height is not mentioned, there is a water temperature, however thats totally subjective too. Plus it uses a proprietary licensed format that not all devices support to boot. I suppose tide and wind are helpful but a quick glance at the bottom of the NOAA page and there that is. Which is honestly what I almost always only use. Unless I am planning to dive Carmel.

As far as people from scubaboard / the internet hacking a very specific Navy wind tracking radar website SSL cert... probably not going to happen, as there is nothing to gain. As far as the Navy/DoD requiring SSL thats pretty common practice. This is Military generated data, which I would assume someone somewhere possibly even secret may be accessing. I would guess that there was a need to secure the identity or be able to secure the identity over the wire of who was accessing this data. With all the madness that the DoD goes through with FIPS 140-2, SmartCards, PKI, etc. we are lucky that this is only SSL and publicly available.

I don't get it! Why some of you guys are so negative??? I didn't and wouldn't say a word against Chuck's page. It's great! If you like it - go ahead and use it! I've been using it for a while myself. The purpose I put together my page is to have all data in easily readable format and available on a single page. Only because I find it convenient. I shared the URL with others - if you don't like it - fine, I don't care!!! As for the mobile devices, I don't use them, so again, I don't care. If you need a page for your iPhone - go ahead and create one.

Certificate issuer is not the issue. People who could potentially compromise the cert at this location are. If they failed to obtain a cert from a public authority and use it in their application - I don't trust the application. Another question is: why they need an SSL cert there anyway??? It's just an image generator with publicly accessible URL.

LULZ :shakehead:

Attachments

• internet_serious_business_framed.jpg
    internet_serious_business_framed.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 51
It does seem to me that we Norcallers can take ourselves pretty seriously sometimes. I have no idea if it's like this in other regional forums, but it's interesting to note how heated some stuff gets in here. Part of the solution really is to have a thick skin (and you're in the internet already, shouldn't everybody know this?), but part of the reason for joining a "local" forum is to get away from the callous anonymity you see in the more general channels.

It's a pretty small diving world from central Cal to the Oregon border, why shouldn't we all take the effort to be civil? :)

Perhaps I am confused here.

An individual posts a link for others to check out, presumably to show what was made and also get some feedback. While doing so it was stated that the existing page is too "complicated" to understand. It was also stated that half of said page is broken because the DOD CA 17 cert issued by DISA and hosted by a Navy Specific application is not the be trusted.

I was then told I am being negative because I stated I prefer the previous page as its all device friendly and fits my needs, but I also stated:

However, im sure theres some out there that would appreciate different presentation of this information.

The reply to this was basically an attack that I guess I got to get all the load of since I was the last to comment. So I replied with my honest opinion, the page contains no real usable data to determine dive conditions within Monterey Bay or Carmel. I stated factual reasons for this as well. All while not attacking anyone, just my opinion and facts.

My overall goal (at least initially) was to assist MrSpock in tweaking the data that's presented into a useable form. It has been made obvious here that criticism/suggestions/help are not welcome and we are all to say "OHH PURDY" and move along.

Back
Top Bottom