We need a new dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am free, I'm definitely down with that idea. I'd love to meet some other folks who don't think the North Coast is undiveable :wink:

You never know what work/life will spin my way, but as of now it looks open.

Does anyone want to burn some tanks or is everyone 100% ab diving? I'm not an ab diver any more, so I'd just be in it for some recreational scuba. Do y'all go out for a tank or two after you get your limit?

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
If I am free, I'm definitely down with that idea. I'd love to meet some other folks who don't think the North Coast is undiveable :wink:

You never know what work/life will spin my way, but as of now it looks open.

Does anyone want to burn some tanks or is everyone 100% ab diving? I'm not an ab diver any more, so I'd just be in it for some recreational scuba. Do y'all go out for a tank or two after you get your limit?

I plan on doing both as I think many others will as well.

Here are the details for the first official North Coast Divers club dive.

Date: Sunday April 9th
Time 8:00 A.M.
Place: Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County (about 13 miles north of Jenner on hwy 1)
Activity: Shore diving - abalone and scuba. Picnic afterward.

Stillwater is a calm cove that has easy access and a nice little beach.
There is good abalone diving out of there and also scuba diving. Both the north and south rocky areas are very productive for abs and there is an off shore reef a few hundred yards straight out that is an interesting scuba dive with lots of metridiums and some larger game. Max depth way out there is about 60-70 feet but most of the diving is around 40 feet. Abalone can be found much shallower. This is a good beginner to intermediate dive spot. Vis avarages about 8-10 feet but we'll see?

Bring all your own gear, divers need to be fully self sufficient.
North Coast Divers is a scheduling organization only and this is not a lead dive. All divers are responsible for their own safety and equipment. There will be a liability release form to sign upon arrival with vital information. Everyone showing up based on information from this post must fill out a form (including me) to be kept on file. Once you have filled out a disclamer it's good for all dives you participate in scheduled by North Coast Divers in the future.

There will be no dues or charges to dive with North Coast Divers and the dives are open to any skill level. There is also no pre-arrangement or registration requirement. Divers can just show up unannounced, no problem. We'd love to have you, just show up.

I am going to try and have a banner by then to put up so people can find us. I'll be getting there early to try and claim the picnic table and picnic site. There are facilities there (restroom). Parking is up on the turn out right above the cove on the highway and if that fills up then there is additional parking up in the Stillwater Cove campground up above on the opposite side of the highway. There is a sign at the entrance to the campground and it's a little south of the cove. The cove driveway is for loading and unloading only. You will be cited if you park there for the day.
There is a fee to park up in the campground parking lot and I think it's around $5 but don't quote me on that.
If you're scuba diving, bring as many tanks as you want to dive because there is no air fill facility around.
If you're ab diving make sure you have a current license and punch card and you understand all the F&G laws.

The picnic is going to be pot luck style. Bring something to share and if everyone does that we should have enough food for everyone that want's to participate in the picnic.

I will bring:
hot dogs, buns, condiments, and the barbecue.

We will also need:
Chips
Salads (deli is fine)
Sodas
Water
Something else to barbecue?

We can also cook up some fresh game if it works out.

Bring your diver friends, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, whoever.
This will be great fun!
I can't wait!!

ZKY

Sunday is perfect, as Saturday I have a presentation in Sacramento. I will fix some deviled eggs, that make for a great protein snack between and after dives. No ab diving for me either, but I will have all my scuba gear and hopefully I can get my friend(s) to come too. Looking forward to the "1st" North Coast Divers get together :)

Here is a great write up on Stillwater Beach.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/Stillwater_Beach/index.htm

Outstanding. I'll probably bring some hog island oysters and some (post-diving, of course) beer.

ZKY - you want me to put a waiver form together? I don't usually admit it in public, but my day job is being a lawyer.

D_O_H:
Outstanding. I'll probably bring some hog island oysters and some (post-diving, of course) beer.

ZKY - you want me to put a waiver form together? I don't usually admit it in public, but my day job is being a lawyer.
That sounds great!
Yes, if you'd like to put a waiver together that would be terrific.

ZKY

Woohoo! This sounds like it'll be a blast! My non-cold-water-diving wife sounds interested in tagging along and she's a great cook. We'll definitely whip up some goodies to share.

Hmm...the idea of North Coast campouts and picnics all summer is inspiring me to build that portable homebrew tap system (jockey box) I've been meaning to. That way we could have draft beer after the dives!

Who said the North Coast is uncivilized? :wink:

This just keeps getting better all the time!

I'll try to make it if you guys will have me. :D

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom