We need a new dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was thinking about it and we need a new dive club up here on the North Coast. There are a few in existence already but I've been a member of both and we never dove. I seemed that all we did was pay dues and sit at the meetings and hear about somebody's vacation they just had in Cozumel.

What I had in mind was a club along the lines of the Sandeaters in Socal. They are a club that has no monthly meetings or dues but rather a group of divers that shows up at a pre-arranged dive site every Sunday morning. It could be a revolving group of people with the idea in mind that not everyone would be able to make it every weekend.
We could plan to do a mini picnic at each one or if it's a scheduled ab dive we could shuck and cook up an ab on the beach with a drift wood fire. I've done that where I've brought a hammer, small board, knife, garlic, olive oil, spices, cast iron pan and pounded an ab up and cooked it right on the beach as soon as I got out of the water. It was great!! At most of the places up here there is always somewhere to have a picnic.
It would also give more people an opportunity to dive the north coast that don't know anything about it or where to go. Divers from out of the area could join in if they happened to be in the area during a scheduled outing.

I think it should be kept as a shore diving organization so people can dive on the cheap.
The only other thing I could see would be to have an occasional kayak dive only if everyone diving had a kayak.
You people in the Sacramento Valley could really benefit from this because it would
give you a group of regulars to dive with and it would be a good alternative instead of always having to go to Monterey.

I feel the diving in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties is outstanding and I want to try and promote the North Coast as much as I can and to try and help the diving community grow. I think certain people up here are very secretive and they tend to hoard what they think is theirs, but I think everyone should be able to enjoy it.

The diving would all be done in Sonoma or Mendocino Counties. I know of some great spots and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. There is 80+ miles of coastline and a lot of it is like Point Lobos but you don't need a reservation so we need to explore it!
This should be the summer that we do this.

So what should we call it?

Sand Eaters North ( there's not much sand)
Rock Eaters
North Coast Rock Crawlers
North Coast Shore Divers
North Coast Bottom Feeders (Jim K)
North Coast Rock Pickers (Jim K)
North Coast Divers
North Coast Rockers
NorCal Sea Hunters (Andy)
Hunters of the North Coast (Andy)
North Coast Diehards (Andy)
NorCal Buccaneers (Andy)
NorCal Explorers (Andy)
North Coast Buucaneers (Andy)

Should the dives be advertised on this board or an e-mail group?

Like I said, I think the Sandeaters have the right idea and I want to use their idea as a model: They are just a dive scheduling organization, nothing more. All the divers involved agree to dive with the group holding their own full personal responsibility for their own safety and they can't hold the organization liable if they do something stupid.

Just an Idea.

Anyone?

ZKY

I think this is a great idea. Let me know what I can do to help get it rolling.

My vote for a name (pending a better suggestion) is North Coast Rock Crawlers.

--Scott

Sounds like a great idea! Those spots are all south of me, but not as far south as Monterey. I'd love to meet some other North Coast divers.

I'm down for any name. Sign me up if there's going to be an email list(barley@pacific.net). Yahoogroups works passably well and is where the bay area list is hosted.

Gregg

ZKY,
Great idea! This is just what we need for getting divers better aquainted to North Coast diving. Here are my name suggestions:

North Coast Bottom Feeders.:)
North Coast Rock Pickers.:)

I like casual clubs without dues. Pitch in when needed to cover costs, but clubs sometimes can be over the top on dues. Show up when you can, but not required too be there for a certain number of meetings. Blah Blah Blah...

Of course I am partial to "North Coast Rock Crawlers" but I also own a custom '53 Willys rock crawler :) Errr...project at the moment.

As I mentioned to ZKY I am new to the cold water diving as all of it in the past was tropical. Yup, headed to Mexico next month for some warm water, as I have free airfare. It would be great if I could be shown the places to dive local with someone who knows where to go. I just got one of my buddies into diving and he is excited to get out too. If the weather holds out we are headed to Monterey this weekend. Fortunately I have a Prius and a place to stay in Salinas, so the costs of going to Monterey are pretty cheap.

Personally I would think using this forum would be a great place to arrange meetings as having outside divers can be fun. Running off a subscribed list will limit finding new people. From what I have seen the Nor-cal forum is fairly dead other than you guys anyhow.

That folks is my .02

Jim Kerr:
ZKY,
Great idea! This is just what we need for getting divers better aquainted to North Coast diving. Here are my name suggestions:

North Coast Bottom Feeders.:)
North Coast Rock Pickers.:)
Bottom feeders seems kind of self devaluating to me. I think of a bottom feeder as some kind of a low character (not that I haven't been called one a time or two in my life).

Rock pickers- no way, we're divers! and damn proud of it. There's no way I'll be associated with the low tiders out there with their levis, sweatshirts, and a weight belt made out of an old car seat belt and buckle climbing all over the rocks destroying all the delicate life that grows on them. After a super low tide it looks like someone lead a heard of cattle over the rocks and smashed everything in sight!
I do have to hand it to them though, how determined they are, getting soaked and freezing like that, getting bit by eels and stabbed by urchins, getting bashed by waves when the super sets come in risking broken bones and twisted ankles all for 3 snails!

I'm liking North Coast Rock Crawlers more and more, it kind of has a ring to it. After all that is what we do, climb over rocks to get out and crawl back over more rocks to get back in right? Instead of sand.

Or what about just North Coast Divers. Plain and simple.

Any more ideas?

We'll need a website and cool t-shirts too.

I've been curious about North Coast diving for some time. I would be thrilled for some of you in the know to share your spots. Maybe it'll even be less time on the road!

How about
NorCal Sea Hunters
Hunters of the North Coast
North Coast Diehards
NorCal Diehards
NorCal Buccaneers
NorCal Explorers
North Coast Buccaneers

I like the pirate theme myself, but NorCal Diehards fits us too.

And we would be thrilled to show you.
Listen, I have tried to promote North Coast Diving for years with reports, invitations, an annual dive party etc.
I have no secrets to hide about how killer the diving is up here. I do everything possible to open it up to new people. All it can do is bring good to the diving community in the area by increasing diving tourist activity.
The only reason I've been going to Monterey lately is to promote my new diving product. I sure as hell haven't been going there for the underwater scenery at the breakwater! For pure pleasure dives there's no way I would pass up a day of diving up here to go to Monterey.

Fort Ross
Stillwater
Gerstle
Fisk
Horseshoe
Elk
Albion
Van Damme
Mendocino Headlands

And the list goes on...

The only thing I need to do now is to help SOME people work through their Northaphobia.

ZKY

I ain'ts gots no phobia. Just no clue where to go. Plus the weather has been kinda crappy for diving lately.

"North Coast Divers" is quite appropriate.

"Great White Chasers" LOL

Back
Top Bottom