We need a new dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_O_H:
Absolutely, though I'm headed to So. Cal. for the opening weekend so I'm going to have to wait another week or two.

Just give me a hollar when you are headed this way and we'll go out again.

I think North Coast Divers it should be. It seems like that one is the most universal and easy to remember. It doesn't have a lean to any particular group, it's not too macho sounding or corny, and it would read well as a website too, "northcoastdivers.org".
So now we need to plan when the dive outing will be and where.

Let me eat dinner and I'll get back to the keyboard in a minute.

ZKY

ZKY:
I think North Coast Divers it should be. It seems like that one is the most universal and easy to remember. It doesn't have a lean to any particular group, it's not too macho sounding or corny, and it would read well as a website too, "northcoastdivers.org".
So now we need to plan when the dive outing will be and where.

Let me eat dinner and I'll get back to the keyboard in a minute.

ZKY

The name is available. It is just a matter of setting it up. How about we shoot for the weekend of April 1st-2nd. It's the abalone opener and as good a time to start as any. I would opt for the Sunday myself, since scubajunkee will be visiting me then. How does that sound to everybody else? We could all meet at the Ocean Cove campground enterance at 9am. I propose there because it is a nice big area that we can wait at which won't cost us any money. From there we can decide where to hunt for abalone and then where to dive.

renpirate:
The name is available. It is just a matter of setting it up. How about we shoot for the weekend of April 1st-2nd. It's the abalone opener and as good a time to start as any. I would opt for the Sunday myself, since scubajunkee will be visiting me then. How does that sound to everybody else? We could all meet at the Ocean Cove campground enterance at 9am. I propose there because it is a nice big area that we can wait at which won't cost us any money. From there we can decide where to hunt for abalone and then where to dive.
That sounds great!
Only problem is I won't be able to be there because I'll be in Socal on the 1st and Monterey on the 2nd. Ironic eh?
But that certainly doesn't mean that you guys couldn't have the first club dive, But I'll make the second one!
Just as long as it's not on the first weekend in May because I'll be back in Socal then too. You guys must really think I'm a traitor or something. These trips have been planned for a long time I swear.

I was thinking that we should have 2 dives a month. That's about the frequency of my diving during the season. We should plan them on let's say the first and third weekends of the month. If someone wants to go between then we could add those in too. During the winter we would just have to see what the conditions are. If it's anything like the winter we just had I don't think there would be a lot of diving going on.
All of this would have to be weather dependent of course, if a weekend get's blown out then we would have to move it to the next weekend and if that one get's blown out then it get's moved again to the following weekend and on and on.
I want to set up some kind of administrative group that will have input into dive sites and scheduling. This is a democratic organization after all and I don't want to be the one that rules everything.

I do have a pretty good knowledge of North Coast diving though so please feel free to ask me anything about where to go and I'll do my best.
I want to be able to dive spots that I've never been too. I think if we all do some dives as a group to some strange and different places it could really be cool.
Some areas between Bodega and the river mouth might be interesting. After seeng what they dive in in Socal off the beach it might just be darn good! Vis might not be too good but who cares. Nothing like a good thrashing on a beach break!

What about doing a halibut dive off Doran Beach? I've heard that they're there during the season. We could do some dungeness crab dives off the beach too. Ever tried to catch a crab underwater without getting nailed? it's great fun. Southern California has Lobsters but we have dungees.

Then there's areas way at the north end of Mendocino County, like Usal creek and Bear Harbor. Those places are really out in the sticks. You have to drive for several hours on a dirt road to get all the way to Bear Harbor. Some of it might be 4x4 country too. Sound cool? That could be some real adventure. I've never been up there so it would be all new to me.

But we could start with some of the easy stuff. I remember when Renpirate, Scubajunkee, Steve Wheeler and Myself met at Gerstle for a couple dives and totally scored on Lingcod and Vermillions. It started as just a basic get wet dive.

With as much pristine coastline as we have up here the possibilities are endless.
Let's do it!

ZKY

So in the photo who am I looking at?

Personally I would go with northcoastdivers.com as .com is easy for people to remember. So is anyone here a webmaster? I have dabled but will not claim to be very good with websites. How much do you think the file transfers will be? Under 50gigs?

Not sure who you would host the server on but with Network Solutions
FREE DOMAIN
with any Annual Hosting Package*

renpirate:

NCD - I like it. I think I can get super cheap domain/hosting through my work - should I grab northcoastdivers.org?

Looks like I'm going to miss the first meeting if it's the 1st, but I'd be up for diving and getting some abs the weekend of the 8th/9th if anyone's interested. Girlfriend is going to be out of town and I should have my new drysuit by then.

Edit:

Started this before dinner, then came back 30 minutes later and had missed a few posts. I can grab .org and .com and get some lightweight hosting (I can't imagine we'd need much space/bandwidth) for just a few bucks a month (I work for a company that's the landlord to companies like Network Solutions). I vote for Peter C as webmaster until a more competent person steps forward :D.

Peter_C:
So in the photo who am I looking at?

Personally I would go with northcoastdivers.com as .com is easy for people to remember. So is anyone here a webmaster? I have dabled but will not claim to be very good with websites. How much do you think the file transfers will be? Under 50gigs?

Not sure who you would host the server on but with Network Solutions
FREE DOMAIN
with any Annual Hosting Package*
From left to right:
Steve Wheeler
Me (notice the white legs and biggest ling)
Renpirate
Scubajunkee

Dot com would work but I thought since it's an organization shouldn't it be dot org or does it matter? Whatever works as long as we have a site. I am a complete computer idiot and I have trouble understanding how the whole concept works sometimes so leaving a website to me wouldn't be a good idea.
I'm glad you guys are volunteering for this.
I do have some good photos to put up in the gallery though when it gets up and running.

ZKY

D_O_H:
NCD - I like it. I think I can get super cheap domain/hosting through my work - should I grab northcoastdivers.org?
What is super cheap? Even through network solutions it is only $10.00 a year or something. Trivial as far as I am concerned. A full webpage is $159.50 a year that includes a message board, 50 email boxes with 100mb each, photo storage, etc. Nothing wrong with .org but most people are familar with .com, and it does not matter what it is. Which one do you like better and which one will be more easily remembered. I got caught myself tonight typing .com instead of .net. (my.friends.name@comcast.net)

D_O_H:
I vote for Peter C as webmaster until a more competent person steps forward :D.
My biggest problem is time. I have been working from home the last few days but the next couple of weeks are going to be living hell which is typical for my job(Sales). I can get something started if need be, but trust me I am not very good at webpages. Hopefully one of you has some experience. These days they do have templates for everything to make it pretty easy.

eric, hey bud how are you doing, hey i would sure be real interested in joining you guys, has ericson (scubajunkie) seen this thread and or the picture? i thought andy (renpirate) was the friend of yours that was in the channel islands with me on the photo boat , but looked at the picture, and i dont think so, it is killing me to find out who it was as he was a real cool person and he knew you well!! anyway this is a great idea that you have and i too would like to get into the diving with you guys, looking forward to the next north coast camp out also, the last one was outstanding . talk at you soon buddy!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom