We need a new dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hmm...the idea of North Coast campouts and picnics all summer is inspiring me to build that portable homebrew tap system (jockey box) I've been meaning to. That way we could have draft beer after the dives!

Nice - I was going to bring some homebrew but I haven't brewed in awhile and I think all I've got left is some serious imperial oatmeal stout I made for the holidays. It's pretty good, but is far from my best work and packs a little bit too much wallop for picnic beer (it's well over 10% ABV).

Anyway, if you get a jockey box going, I'd be glad to bring my share of cornies.

hey guys it looks like i will be able to make it, and so i am planning on seeing you all there, i will bring some dirt cake and mac salad and some stuff for the bbq, and one teenage daughter to drown!!!!! LMAO:D

It just occurred to me that we will need to stake calim to the picnic area and probably early in the morning. Will anyone be bringing non-divers along that might be able to stake our claim? Since this will be the second week of abalone season, it is probably a good idea. ZKY is working on a banner for the meeting so we could run up the colors as it were.

As a scuba marketing consultant part of my job has been to build dive clubs for dive shops etc.

I am pretty well versed on what it takes to run all sorts of dive clubs yet I am always learning how to improve on what I have done in the past.

One thing we have done very successfuly has been to create "online" dive clubs through the Yahoo groups list server.

This form of communication can be successful for both more established mainstream clubs and less formal clubs like the one you described.

It sounds like something you could possibly benefit from. You are welcome to check out one of our sites to see if it is something that could work for you. You can this by going to www.groups.yahoo.com and search for pnw-scuba or by sending an email to pnw-scuba-subscribe@yahoogroups.com then follow the directions to become active.

In addition to the email communication aspects of the server you also get the capability to house files, photos etc.

renpirate:
It just occurred to me that we will need to stake calim to the picnic area and probably early in the morning. Will anyone be bringing non-divers along that might be able to stake our claim? Since this will be the second week of abalone season, it is probably a good idea. ZKY is working on a banner for the meeting so we could run up the colors as it were.
I was thinking about it and may get there reeeaaally early, like 6:00 or 6:30. That may not even be early enough but we'll see. I need to check the tides because I know it's going to be a minus tide in the morning but I don't know what time. That has a lot to do with when the rock pickers show up.
In the event that we don't get the picnic table we can always set up somewhere on the beach or next to the picnic area on the grass.
It may be wise to bring a folding camp chair if you want somewhere to sit.

ZKY

Maybe we could put together a listserv that isn't super complicated to admin or operate, then members could shoot out mass e-mails without the long task of typing everyones e-mail. For those that might not be familiar with a listserv, you send an e-mail to the listserv address, the server processes it and forwards an e-mail to everyone. Its a pretty neat tool, if not abused.

JustinW:
Maybe we could put together a listserv that isn't super complicated to admin or operate, then members could shoot out mass e-mails without the long task of typing everyones e-mail. For those that might not be familiar with a listserv, you send an e-mail to the listserv address, the server processes it and forwards an e-mail to everyone. Its a pretty neat tool, if not abused.

Scubajunkee is working on that right now. We should have the website up pretty soon.

ZKY,

I'll meet you there in the morning to reserve our spot, just let me know when.

An interactive calendar would be a nice feature on the website. Once everyone gets an email about an upcoming dive, they can go to the calendar and say they are going, and maybe what food or drink they are bringing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom