Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My feet feel frozen just reading this thread! I also now know why I live in SW Louisiana and restrict my diving to Key Largo and all points south of there. I tried a 3/2 full suit in Largo in November and immediately went to a 5 mm farmer john the dive op loaned me. Other divers on the boat were shivering in their full 3 mm. I'm going to Cozumel in 7 days and wife and I are packing brand new 5 mm full suits and will be nice an toasty at those divers who will call us wimps on the boat through chattering teeth. Diving is an adventure for me, not an endurance test. By the way the dive op owner on the Nov. dives told me not to worry about having to go to that 5 mm john. He said he hates the cold so much, he had just ordered a semi dry suit for Nov. diving.

I'm about to head under the ice in a wetsuit this weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes.

waynel:
My feet feel frozen just reading this thread! I also now know why I live in SW Louisiana and restrict my diving to Key Largo and all points south of there. I tried a 3/2 full suit in Largo in November and immediately went to a 5 mm farmer john the dive op loaned me. Other divers on the boat were shivering in their full 3 mm. I'm going to Cozumel in 7 days and wife and I are packing brand new 5 mm full suits and will be nice an toasty at those divers who will call us wimps on the boat through chattering teeth. Diving is an adventure for me, not an endurance test. By the way the dive op owner on the Nov. dives told me not to worry about having to go to that 5 mm john. He said he hates the cold so much, he had just ordered a semi dry suit for Nov. diving.

Jimmer:
I'm about to head under the ice in a wetsuit this weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Just look at these last two posts for proof that the answer to the OP question is "It depends."

37 F below the thermocline, 7mm farmer john, total of about 7 minutes. It was COLD but survivable for 7 minutes. and no I wouldn't do it again unless I had too.

cgilyeat:
WWW - Warm Water Wuss or Wussie:D :D :D
well, I wont deny that. For me, diving is a pleasant experience. If I have to try and light a fire while underwater, to keep warm, that aint a pleasant experience.
I may have to change my name to WWW, you "men" can keep cold water immersions.

I get pretty cold in a 7mm and 6/4mm hooded vest in water much below 50F. I wouldn't do those dives in a wetsuit anymore. Much nicer to be dry.

Carribeandiver:
I may have to change my name to WWW, you "men" can keep cold water immersions.
I take that to mean there's probably not much chance of getting you to join in on a Pontchartrain expedition? :D

Depends on the suit. I've been in water that's as cold as it gets in a 10mil, attached hood, farmer john with elbow length 3 finger mitts and knee-high boots and an undervest. It was OK for an hours dive.

As you can see from the posts the exposure suit is the most critical piece of equipment when it comes to diveing and temperature.

Dive what is comfortable to you with the correct equipment.

Well, how's this for diving cold in a wetsuit?

Attachments

• IMAG0005_small.jpg
    IMAG0005_small.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 60
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom