Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

engdiver:
Not to highjack this thread, but I have a question for you warm water divers. What is to cold for diving in just a lycra skin wetsuit? I have dove in Cozumel and Cayman Brac in August in just a lycra suit with water temps around 80 deg.
I got certified in the gulf off Panama City in June with 78F and wore just a skin. I have no idea how I managed that because I tried a 1 mm in 82F and thought it was cold.

spectrum:
Lack of good local ice thwarted me again this winter.
I don't know why Pete... we had perfect conditions at Hathaway's pond on Cape Cod this past weekend. 7-8 inch thick clear ice formed with low wind and no precipitation, a couple of sunny days right around 32 degrees air temp, and water temps at 39 degrees with incredible vis.

Maybe you'll get better than that next year? :confused:

Carribeandiver:
did I mention that incredibly low viz is also something that I do not particularly like? Besides what is there to see in the Lake? Are there even any fish there?
There are actually four "artificial reefs" in Lake Pontchartrain (concrete lattice balls and such), and yes, there are fish. Mainly, it's just better viz than the rivers and smaller lakes -- i.e. you *can* see your hand in front of your mask. :wink:

(There are lots of ugly, grey fish, too.)

Divin'Hoosier:
Just curious. I'd like to do an ice dive or two someday and am just not sure if I should take a cert course or just do it with folks who have lots of experience and coordinate the dive well.

Just make sure you stay warm and have a surface tender and a rope attached somewhere that you can find it. If in currrents you may want it directly to yourself.

With a wetsuit 42F is my limit, only because it wasn't colder at the time. Now of course I'd have to say 60F is my limit for comfort. I'll dive dry most of the time, even in summer when it's 100F outside I'll be in a drysuit. It's nice to come out of the water and not smell like neoprene, I won't say dry because in the Summer when it's hot you'll come out damp.

I can still dive the wetsuit of course, but why would I when I have my choice of drysuit's? Dry is where it is at IMO.

cummings66:
With a wetsuit 42F is my limit, only because it wasn't colder at the time. Now of course I'd have to say 60F is my limit for comfort. I'll dive dry most of the time, even in summer when it's 100F outside I'll be in a drysuit. It's nice to come out of the water and not smell like neoprene, I won't say dry because in the Summer when it's hot you'll come out damp.

I can still dive the wetsuit of course, but why would I when I have my choice of drysuit's? Dry is where it is at IMO.

Yeah...42 is pushing it a bit with a 7mm (hood, gloves et. al.) the face was COLD!!! the rest of the body wasn't comfy cozy!:coffee:

But to tell the truth...7mm is a LOT of neoprene to wrangle! Safety stops are tricky...to say the least!

In my opinion, Southern California is at the reasonable limit of wetsuit diving for full length rec dives. Water temps are about 55F. I regularly dive here with a 7mm fullsuit and a 3mm hooded vest and I could go a few degrees colder but I wouldn't enjoy it. If I moved to NorCal I would be diving in a drysuit.

uomorana:
Totally subjective!! You will never know until you try for yourself.

True

pupdiver:
In my opinion, Southern California is at the reasonable limit of wetsuit diving for full length rec dives. Water temps are about 55F. I regularly dive here with a 7mm fullsuit and a 3mm hooded vest and I could go a few degrees colder but I wouldn't enjoy it. If I moved to NorCal I would be diving in a drysuit.

50-55F is a common threshold. A heavier vest may change you to a 50F

Pete

MSilvia:
I don't know why Pete... we had perfect conditions at Hathaway's pond on Cape Cod this past weekend. 7-8 inch thick clear ice formed with low wind and no precipitation, a couple of sunny days right around 32 degrees air temp, and water temps at 39 degrees with incredible vis.

Maybe you'll get better than that next year? :confused:

Or maybe I'll plan to sign up elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom