Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove in 58 degrees with a 5/4, hood and gloves, and it was bearable, although not particularly comfortable

I've hit 52ºF in a 3mm for a few minutes in the deeper section of a local quarry. That got chilly fast.

well, I did a natural spring in Florida, 68F year round. I wore a 4/3 full suit and it was marginally bearable. Dive lasted under 30 minutes and I do not plan on ever going back in anything that cold.
And what is WWW? I do not believe you are referencing the World Wide Web and I doubt it means Warm Water Divers.

I was diving until October in my 5mm wet suit and it was fine and I think water temps were around 54F. Of course, that was a beach dive and depths didn't exceed 25 ft. Yesterday I did a Polar Bear "swim" - air temperature was 24F and I was wearing nothing but my speedos and a grin. :eyebrow:

I have yet to do a dive where the water temp was above 56F. Lately my computer has been showing 48-50, others said it was 44. 45 minutes to an hour, in a 6.5mm farmer john and jacket.
It's not being in the water that's cold- it's getting out of the wetsuit, and having the wind blow across your wet skin. I can stand around in my wetsuit, 39 degrees outside, and talk for an hour before I get out of my suit. Saturday I stood around with a jacket on before doing a second wet dive for another 45 minutes. Yeah, my feet were cold, and hands aren't as dexterous as they could be.
gomi_

Carribeandiver:
well, I did a natural spring in Florida, 68F year round. I wore a 4/3 full suit and it was marginally bearable. Dive lasted under 30 minutes and I do not plan on ever going back in anything that cold.
And what is WWW? I do not believe you are referencing the World Wide Web and I doubt it means Warm Water Divers.
WWW - Warm Water Wuss or Wussie:D :D :D

I know people that dive under the ice in a wetsuit. Would I only if you paid me a million dollars. As said previously it depends on your tolerance. I am older and a 6.5MM farmer jon works just fime into the 40's. But you better dump some hot water on you because the initial shock could kill you.

In the spring I have no problem with water temps in the high 40s with a 7/5mm, boots, gloves, and a thick hood.

Like many have said the air temp is a big factor. You don't want to get out of the water soaking wet in 40 degree air.

It all depends. I've done over 10 dives in a Bare arctic 7mm fullsuit with a 7mm hooded vest in temps below 50 F, coldest being 42 F. The important thing is keeping warm during the SI and flooding the suit with warm water for subsequent dives. However, that's me. Others can dive even colder in wetsuits while many, many folks would never dare dive in water below 60 F.

I enjoy diving wet in a 7mm with 2X on the core down to 50F, Then I go dry. I have done it in 40F and would do so again of the occasion came up.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom