wasted money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a dive in the Red Sea with a side strap and a 12 litre tank, 4lb weight fixed around the bottom of the tank with a web strap. fastened the top of the side strap to my D ring on my B.C. vertical strap and the bottom of the side strap to my weight belt. Spent most of the dive trying to keep my body upright. If I'd gone horizontal I would have been using my head as a roller ball. No good! side strap in the bin, back to twins on the back. Shear Heaven. You don't know till youv'e been there.

I wonder if that's true if you rinse your tank after diving as other gear? Without the tank boot the bottom will have the coating abraded by concrete and asphalt.

Adam

Rinsing is irrelevant in our case as we only have fresh water. Yes the paint /or the AL protection layer is abraded but it always dries lightning fast so it does not really rust that much.

Jersey wreck reel...it's huge, it biodegrades (which is good for not damaging the ocean)...but I think a finger reel (much smaller, and with current technologies jsut as strong if not stronger) is a better option. Maybe if I go do some serious tech diving surve...but a dive right finger reel will hold a lift bag just as good as a jersey wreck reel.

There are times I wish I did use my snorkel...but its been rare....I can keep my head above water and swim without it...not as comfortable but good enough.

Other items of little value: None...all my stuff has been used, or will be used in an emergency (e.g. med kit, & knife).

One thing I bought that I use (by necessity) but don't like because it is uncomfortable - my booties. They are good on boats and smooth surfaces, but suck at a rock quarry

Open ended 9' tube. Something about a 9' tube when it hit the surface and falls over. the air comes out. live and learn

scubatool
pads for BP straps
Dive Rite wreck light-it's big
Quatro Pro fins

Not much of anything. Ive done more to refine my gear to fit my dives. Mostly dark rivers in Florida. Good knives, good octo, nice stiff fins, and small PC backup lights would be the only negative purchase Ive made. I bought one of the UK D8 for 54 bucks from Leisure Pro and first had a switch problem..... took it apart and tightened the screw onthe contacts and dripped some wax on it and BAM.... perfect item, just change batteries and silicone the oring good, ....

Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!

Steve

Regretable accessories:
- Backup lights that don't come with a warranty to replace them when they fail.
- Dive gear bag that was slightly too small to fit my gear in easily.
- Slap strap/mask strap cover, because it just makes my mask strap come off all the time.
- 5mm wetsuit boots.
- A brass clip - SS is better. Brass clip is now a key chain.
- a slate that is 1/2 etchasketch & 1/2 slate. Wetnotes or a small slate would probably be fine.

I always wondered, is that mask defogger stuff really necessary? Is it really any better than spit, or is its purpose to be a little more "civilized" or be there if you have a dry mouth?

As Tsamd mentioned, my spit works not so well as defog spray does. The defog spray I've bought has some alcohol smell. I used to spit my mask for defogging, and after several days using it, it started to show some black stains (fungus) that are really disgusting.

Tank banger for my wife.
I can't hear the damned thing for the life of me......but then again....it is my wife.....LOL

Also for me. I've bought a Trident tank banger. Sound beautiful out of the water, but in the water sounds like banging with your nail.

Back
Top Bottom