wasted money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What accessories have you bought that were a total waste of money?:shakehead:

I always wondered, is that mask defogger stuff really necessary? Is it really any better than spit, or is its purpose to be a little more "civilized" or be there if you have a dry mouth?

Apparently some people's spit doesn't work very well as a defog -- not enough surfactant molecules in it.

Most of the accessories I've bought and disliked have been backup lights which have failed. We had an Ikelite switched light that flooded, and a Dive Rite 1W LED which flooded, and two Oxycheq Raider IVs that, although when they worked they were the best backup lights I've ever seen, were so viciously plagued with problems that we gave up on them (lights failing and then their REPLACEMENTS failing).

Another thing I bought that didn't work out as planned was my spreel. The initial problem I had with it, which was a rusting issue, the fellow who made them made good by sending me a new screw to replace the one that corroded. I had to take some line off the spool, because it would get too full and jam, and I finally gave up on it when the tensioning mechanism wouldn't work well enough to prevent line from unspooling. Since there is no other way of securing the line, the device became unusable. I was really disappointed, because it was an awfully good idea.

I guess the surf shoes to go over my Fusion would count as "accessories". They worked great for walking and light diving, but came off my feet in a cave, so they got jettisoned.

Last edited:
My buddies spit works real well. Mine not so much. I'm not going to ask him to spit into my mask though. $7 for 500psi is good money for me.

Seriously about accessories...GloTubes. When they work, they work well! I've had a few that leaked like sieves.

I too have low-quality spit, and have to spend a good five minutes spitting in order to keep my mask happy. Although I have asked my buddy to spit in my mask for me.

Tank boot...

A tank boot protects the bottom of the tank and makes it less likely to tip over, and it looks more cool.

I've got a boot on both tanks and never regretted that $5 expense for a minute.

I do regret a wrist mounted curved slate. It never stayed in place, always sliding down during the dive.

Ebay's great for swapping out stuff you don't want for stuff you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom