wasted money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What accessories have you bought that were a total waste of money?:shakehead:

-Dive rite pockets that hang on a bp/w harness
-Tail weight pocket, won't fit where it's supposed to!
-Wrist slate, discovered wet notes instead
-anything OMS
-UK dive lights, they all flood
-3-foot long closed SMBs, the 6 or 8 footers are better
-any dry suit pockets besides Halcyon, they all fall apart
-snorkel, haven't used it since I got certified
-tank boots
-multi-tools-in-one dive tools, JUST BUY REAL TOOLS
-dry suit gaiters, they're pointless
-dive computers

Equipment re-tractors!!
Big knife.
BCD w. integrated weights.

Hey, BTW, I LOVE my pockets from Tobin (Deep Sea Supply). I doubt that you have seen them Harry or you wouldn't be making comments like that!

The original clip that came with my very expensive ScubaPro dry snorkel would not stay on my mask strap. After the snorkel went to the bottom, my dive shop guy told me that happens all the time; the clip-over-the-strap holders never work. He sold me a much better snorkel strap for a couple bucks. I asked why he hadn't suggested that when I bought the snorkel; he said he didn't want to push me into buying more stuff. After having bought the entire "Total Diving System" from him, I think a couple bucks to save an expensive snorkel would have been worth it.

On the other hand, I bought a comfort strap that would not hold my (also expensive) ScubaPro mask to my face because the strap kept slipping through the buckle, which was not a problem with the original strap. It too took the plunge even after the divemaster checked it and said it was OK. Trying to get on the boat in 6-10-foot seas with no mask was not fun. But in retrospect, I'd had problems with both of them and feared they might fail. I should have addressed those issues ashore before any of that happened.

Let's see: Scuba.Com sells straps that allow you to carry your tanks like a suitcase. I bought three and have never used them. Everyone just carries tanks by the valves. I didn't know that when I was new and eager to buy up cool scuba stuff.

Finally: Scuba Goop. This is gear marker paint available on scuba.com for $6 plus shipping. It arrived with another label underneath the "Scuba Goop" label. Turned out to be "Scribbles 3D Paint" available and any local crafts store for about a dollar. Yeah, I regretted that one. Scuba.com removed my review from their site.

Things I wish I would have bought sooner: My dive skin, for jellies in warm water. A cheap (but much better) snorkel holder. A cheap (like six bucks) BC knife from Scuba.com that actually stays in the plastic sheath. My cool but -- guess what -- very expensive ScubaPro dive knife also joined Neptunes Thrift Store because all you have to do is press it slightly (like leanijg your BC against another BC) to release it from the sheath.

Anyway, that's all off the top of my head. Good thread.

:D It is a toss up between my snorkel and my wife. :D

Oh yeah, the wrist slate post above reminded me. Same problems here.

Can't say I agree on the snorkel comments. I don't plan to ever run out of air, but when I do I will be glad to have my dry snorkel in rough seas while awaiting the boat, getting my fins off and getting aboard. They are annoying and get in the way. But it's worth it, imho.

Wrist mount dive computer.....it never stays where it's intended.

• Octo keepers. Several designs didn't seem to work with my comfo-bite mouthpiece.
  • Lightweight warm water BCD (purchased before switching to BP/W). Now I just change out my BP from SS to AL when I go on vacation.
  • Too large, Rambo-looking dive knife. My AOW instructor stressed the importance of carrying a big knife that she advised strapping to a leg. I bought one. It was too large/bulky and I didn't like having something sharp strapped to my leg. I now use shears and a small knife mounted on my harness. Much better.
  • Scubatool. Great as an instrument of last resort, but otherwise bulky/clumsy and contains suboptimal tools. Better to get a good set of corrosion-resistant nickel-plated SAE and metric allen wrenches, a Phillips head screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, a couple of small adjustable wrenches, and a sturdy set of brass o-ring picks. Yeah, I realize it's a long list but it angers me to look at that silly Scubatool -- which now lives at the very bottom of my tool bag. :D

:D It is a toss up between my snorkel and my wife. :D

I spent all my money on women and beer. The rest I just wasted.

Dude, be honest. You didn't buy your wife, she won YOU in a poker game. :eyebrow:

:confused: I think you lost the hand on purpose. Come on best two out of three. :D

Back
Top Bottom