warranty and customer service on dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uwatec (ScubaPro) or Shearwater.

Aladin 2G or Petrel . . . or buy used for the best deal around.
I agree the Aladin Tech 2 G / Aladin 2G is a good choice for an entry level computer as it will get you all the way through Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures, and in gauge mode works great for trimix as a back up with tables.

*But* the customer service I have gotten from Uwatec/Scubapro with my Luna has been incredibly bad.

---------- Post Merged at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:43 PM ----------

And if was thinking on a suunto, shearwater is too much for me....
An Aladin 2G in a wrist console will cost you around $400, while a Petrel will cost you about $950 and a used Predator will be around $750-$800.

But something to consider is that if you buy a Shearwater you're pretty much buying once and getting a great computer that gets frequent firmware updates from the company and offers superb customer support.

And as you've noticed above, Suunto is not highly regarded for their customer service. Maybe more important, Suunto computers tend to be excessively conservative.

There is a lot of choices right now and have reduced my choices to a computer with a wrist watch style. I see oceanic has some choices I like the d4i also but still considering the oceanic. I shearwater looks awesome but is too big and yes about 900. It seems that many people would recommend oceanic more than suunto.

I had problems downloading my oceanic. Dive computer was fine, software issues were the problem. The dive shop called Oceanic for me and I had it fixed in a matter of minutes, while on vacation in Cozumel. I had a problem with my Datamask, took it back to the dive shop, they sent it in. <2weeks later I had a new one. I have no problems with Oceanic products and their warranty.

I have an aeris atmos II that is about eight years old and still going. It is made by the same company that makes
the oceanic. It started in a console and switched to wrist mount a couple years back. Hard to beat what you get for
the money with the oceanic. It does everything most recreational divers would need. My next computer will probably
be the veo 1.0 or 2.0 nitrox wrist mount.

*But* the customer service I have gotten from Uwatec/Scubapro with my Luna has been incredibly bad.

Really???? on the computers? share, please?
popcorn.gif

I've had tremendously good service.

Me too with Scubapro. Have had the Aladin Pro, Aladin Tec 2G and Aladin 2G

Really???? on the computers? share, please?
popcorn.gif

I've had tremendously good service.

Last edited:
I've been very happy with Aeris computers. I used/owned Atmos 1 as a backup computer for about 10 years. Had about ~600 dives on it, very basic/simple computer until I lost it :) Replaced batteries many times myself and never had issues with it.

I own a Aeris XR-2 that worked great for two years until I had issues with the display and it was replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Another simple computer that does everything I wanted. I use it for recreational dives and as a bottom timer.

I also own a Hollis DG02 and Hollis DG03 and am very happy with them. I like the Hollis DG03 because it does 3 gas switches. I'm pretty sure the Hollis DG03 is the same computer as the Aeris Elite T3 and the Oceanic VT3.

Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris pretty much have models that are all the same. Same company, just different branding. I wouldn't hesitate to go with any of those brands.

In any case, If I were buying a computer for technical diving and had the budget, I would definitely be looking at Shearwaters. Very awesome computer and would be hard to outgrow.

Hi i had to reply when i saw your post! I brought A scubapro Uwatec Aladin Prime in 2008. I had only used it for 69 dives when i became pregnant and that was that (booooo silly girl) the end of freedom to dive for about the next 10years!! :depressed:

In Nov 12 I was goint to Egypt and obviously dug out my dive computer which was packed nice and safely in the box. Imagine my horror when i changed the battery, turned it on and the control button on the front popped out!!! Devestated and after only 69 dives and lots of TLC miffed just about covers it!!

Long story short i contacted the shop i brought it from to ask about the cost or possibility of a repair. They told me that Scubapro are usually really good for aftercare and advised to take it in they would sent it to Scubapro for evaluation even though it was outside of the usual 2year warranty- worst case scenario £10 postage.

Two days ago the shop "Scuba and outdoor persuits" in the Midlands (Thanks guys!!) called me to say he had spoken to Scubapro in France who were replacing the computer with a brand new one YAY I am so impressed with Scubapro so when i saw your post i thought i would let you know my experience!!

There is a piece of legislation that says a product should be fit for purpose etc and this covers you for up to 6yrs irrespective of the warranty but I'm so glad that i've not had to go down that line.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom