Warranties on gray market sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
LP can offer low prices not because they're such generous people, but because the manufacturer gives them a good price because they'll never have to see the reg again.

Warrantees cost money. If you want a warranty, you have to pay for it, which in this case means an "authorized" dealer.

LP has no magic access to cheap regs. Some is from dealers that go out of business,Some is from dealers that overbought and need to get rid of overstock, and a lot is from manufacturers dumping stock that didnt' move. In any case, they can demand (and get) a great price because the seller knows that that item will no longer be a liability.

Terry

Terry - I don't believe that is entirely correct. When a Leisurepro customer makes a claim on the LP warranty, I believe that LP sends the item back thru appropriate channel, depending on where they acquired the goods, and it does end up back in the mfgrs hands for mfgr warranty service. A friend of mine got a new computer from LP after their Aeris computer failed twice. It was repaired the first time and replaced the 2nd time after LP recieved authorization. I don't believe LP is eating such losses. LP is basing their business on volume sales with relatively low margins. But because the LP customer is essentially buying 2nd hand goods, mfgr warranties do not extend to the final purchaser.

Dive Right In Scuba:
LOL....that was good :D I have a kiosk in our local mall for the holidays to sell classes and equipment and was seriously laughing outloud....good one Mania
I'm glad you've got a sense of humor, I just couldn't help myself, but I really did not want to hurt your feelings.

LOL...dont worry, I havent been around this forum long but I have been on chat forums for awhile and one thing is you cant take anything to heart and get upset....even the most heated debate.......its just a forum and in the next thread you might find yourself defending the person on the last thread that you were battling with.....Its fun and educating.....

I'm glad that you feel that way. I do belive, however, that good conculsions are not reached by glib remarks, so I tend to hesitate since they also have a way of shutting down the conversation.

Web Monkey:
I'm not sure there's anything to challange. The manufacturer specifically states that the warranty is void unless you buy it from "these places". If you buy from "somewhere else" you get no warranty. It's not like you were deceived about it.
And if I were the plaintiff in such a suit, I would invite the judge to agree with the manufacturer and toss out the whole thing that they call a "Warranty". That get's rid of wny express warranties they've made and any disclaimers that went along with it. Now they just have to deal with the implied warranties. In this state, all consumer goods come with an implied warranty of merchantabillity, which basically means that the thing will work the way it is supposed to. It's not easy to disclaim this warranty, and by invalidating their own document, the manufacturer would be giving up any hope of that. More often than not manufacturers in these types of cases are trying to get the court to enforce the provisions of their warranty, not throw it out. The default warranty provisions are usually much more kind to consumers.

I agree in theory with the poster who said SCUBA manufacturers are unlikely to repair defective products, no matter where you bought them, in spite of what they say. What you may not get is the stuff like free parts and free repairs on problems that aren't caused by defects. But I'd be very interested to hear from someone who had a manufacturer refuse to fix their genuinenly defective product based on where it was purchased.

oh they will all fix it, its just hte free stuff they won't do. They are always happy to fix it and charge a reasonable fee.

Go to the Suunto web site and search for authorised dealers... Amazon will top the list.. Go to Amazon, and search for Suunto computers... Sales are done by Leisurepro..

Will Suunto honor these items?

Go to eWatches dot com... they sell Suunto "dive watches" at reduced prices...
Jewelry stores don't care about set pricing, they will discount at will...

Why hold certain standards with dive shops (the little man) but not uphold them for other retailers?

Thats an interesting thing with Suunto and amazon countryboy, I'm gonna have to go check that out find out why that is. Thanks man

countryboy:
Go to the Suunto web site and search for authorised dealers... Amazon will top the list.. Go to Amazon, and search for Suunto computers... Sales are done by Leisurepro..

Will Suunto honor these items?

Go to eWatches dot com... they sell Suunto "dive watches" at reduced prices...
Jewelry stores don't care about set pricing, they will discount at will...

Why hold certain standards with dive shops (the little man) but not uphold them for other retailers?

Suunto sells a lot of stuff besides dive watches/computers, so I would bet that they list Amazon as an authorized retailer for their non-dive products.

Back
Top Bottom