Warranties on gray market sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well next time you save $50-100 on something at Leisure Pro why don't you take the manufacturer to court when they don't honour the warranty. You'll find out soon enough if you're right.

I can tell you it's the same in many areas not just the Scuba Industry.

Like other people have said it's far better to go with the authorised dealer.

In SA we have companies that sell cheap Sony products etc. These are often end of line products bought in Eastern Countries for really cheap. Not bought from Sony SA. These products do not have the manufacturers warranty but rather a warranty from the Shop selling it. So... and this is from someone that worked in there service department... when my sony vcr/dvd breaks they fix it, often using inferior cheap parts, not Sony parts and my once great sony product is no longer actually all Sony. I guess for my TV/VCR or whatever that is OK. The quality won't be so good but I'm not going to die. I may be prepared to take this chance.

My regulator, well for $50/100 saving there is no chance.

First of all, I don't buy dive gear from Leisure Pro. The whole idea of the gray market does not bother me, but I would rather buy from an authorized retailer when it is possible and economically rational for me to do so.

My real concern here is about how equipment manufacturers are telling you that your warranty will be voided if you do not have your equipment serviced by one of their authorized service centers. What if I buy my gear from an authorized retailer and then move to an area in which there is not another authorized retailer to service my gear that is in driving distance? However, there is a perfectly good LDS around the corner that just doesn't happen to carry that particular brand, but will service it for me. What am I supposed to do, pay to ship it to an authorized service center?

To me, it really doesn't make sense that your warranty is tied to who is servicing your gear. I get the part about free parts if your service is done by an authorized retailer, but what if my authorized retailer charges more for service with free parts than another local LDS will service my gear even if I pay for the parts. And, what if I want to service my own gear? Why should I be penalized if I am technically proficient enough to do an annual inspection and tune-up on my own?

Your analogy has no relevance. No one is suggesting that LP is selling cheap knockoffs of namebrand regulators.

Others have said it's better to go with the authorised dealer IF having a manufacturer warranty is a big concern.

Your weak attempt to imply that buying from LP shows a lack of concern for safety is pathetic.

Swan1172:
cerich,

You are missing the point. I am not talking about the warranty service. I am talking about the manufacturers' policy that states that their warranty is null-and-void if you don't buy their equipment from one of their authorized retailers.

Here is an excerpt from a letter from ScubaPro:

"All online companies that sell and make direct purchases of our product, like Leisure Pro are not an authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC dealer and SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment obtained through channels other than SCUBAPRO UWATEC Authorized Dealers does not carry the SCUBAPRO UWATEC Limited Lifetime/Limited Warranty. If you so choose to purchase SCUBAPRO UWATEC products online, the warranty will be voided."

Seems like a pretty clear violation of Magnusson-Moss to me.

Hey back when Uwatec had a recall on the Smart Com dive computers they were more than happy to replace the one I purchased from LP.

DivePath:
Hey back when Uwatec had a recall on the Smart Com dive computers they were more than happy to replace the one I purchased from LP.

Thats a nice thing to hear dude, I would expect no less from them.

Dive Right In Scuba:
I will concede that this may not still be in affect, but when I previously owned a Lexus, I was told it was.

As I said on the last Thread where we discussed this....its a never ending battle....Unauthorized means Unauthorized, you cant buy something from someone thats unauthorized and expect it to be the same as from someone that is authorized...Doesnt meant I agree with it or disagree with it....but I can tell you one thing...Im tired of talking about it :wink: Good luck with your efforts
Man, you were told that? Why'd you buy your Lexus from a ScubaPro dealer?

Yea I know we keep talking about dive shops reaching out to other industries for good buisness, but never seen a dive shop car dealership yet. :p

Thalassamania:
Man, you were told that? Why'd you buy your Lexus from a ScubaPro dealer?

:lol::lol::lol:

My monitor is now sporting a glistening sheen of Diet Coke.

Sorery Swan, I just couldn't resist. I'm in one of THOSE MOODS today!<G>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom