Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should just do what I do when I go hunting for dungeness crabs ... use a scooter ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually that's a viable option and worth looking into.
They would be essentially monkey diving at that point for lobsters.

The only thing is Dungees are out in the open on sand and can be swooped down on, while lobsters hole up under rocks and in caves. At night sometimes they are out in the open foraging but it would be tricky at night with a scooter wildly ripping along and crashing into something while at the same time trying to scan for bugs.
But on a night when the visiblility is good and with good lights I could see it happening.

Just like scuba gear, the "best" depends on your goals, your skill level, your physique, and what you consider important.

No scientific test is going to provide those answers. The best way to find out what scuba equipment works best for you is to take it for a dive ... that way, you'll know what's "best" when you feel it ...

But don't share the results with anybody because that would be..well..anecdotal. :crafty:

Fast fins can be very purposeful here diving on the edge the gulf stream if you find the need to swim up current or cross current. We often have a couple of knots or more even at the bottom Sometimes hiding behind a ledge is not an option.

For example: swimming cross current over sand to pick up another site. A leisurely swim east or west and you may get blown off the next site.

The only time I could see a diver wanting the absolute fastest fin would be for lobster diving. That activity requires a diver to be very fast to be able to swoop in and grab bugs and also to cover a lot of ground. Mileage isn't really a consideration with lobster diving and that's why they will wear a big huge tank and they'll drain it each dive. It's kind of like a fighter jet, they go very fast but burn huge amounts of fuel to accomplish their mission.

Some lobster divers, the ones with really in shape legs, have also found freediving long fins to provide the speed and power they need. The one trade off besides horrible mileage is that they find that they can't wear jacket BC's or even a BP with a wing effectively because the drag gets very noticeable once they get up to speed and into the power curve using long fins.
They have resorted to just wearing a tank mounted onto a plastic back pack and use it with no BC. At the speeds they travel through the water they have found this to be the most streamlined setup they can wear.

All of this is purely subjective and has no scientific backing to prove as fact, but maybe it doesn't need to be scientifically proven. These lobster mobsters have been at it for years and have tried every combination, so I'm going to conclude that they probably know what works and what they're talking about so that's good enough for me.

I guess we could also say that the no BC divers have bypassed this entire argument.

Halemano dives in a place where the average skill levels of tourists in diving, is at a level that we should perhaps question.....Halemano has every reason in the world to want people to believe he has always been correct in teaching people with vest BC's, and in pointing them in this direction for purchase---and it appears to me there is an ego thing going on as well, where he wants people to associate his choices with the right choices. He has squarely tied his ideas to the prevailing DEMA disseminated dogma on the gear divers need...and he now invests an enormous amount of time in attempts to discredit opionions that differ from those he is invested in.

Since many of you seem to be buying into the propaganda spewing from a few loud members of the SB "Techspurts" let's look a little closer at the above quote.

Here on SB, many new divers ask for help choosing BC's. Interestingly, they often have a lot more in common with the typical diver I encounter, when compared to the divers the "Techspurts" encounter. You know, the very same divers whom Dan says this about; "where the average skill levels of tourists in diving, is at a level that we should perhaps question." :shakehead:

Recent ads in Sport Diver magazine have been claiming that Key Largo is the "Dive Capital of the World" and millions of people could hitch hike to Key Largo. At least here in Hawaii, and especially here on Maui, our tourists have significant coin. I am confused; does Dan mean that tourist divers in the Florida Keys have a higher average skill level than tourist divers in Hawaii, a level that we should perhaps question less? And what about compared to the average skill level of tourist divers in the GBR? :coffee:

I am not worried about "wanting people to believe I have always been correct in teaching people with vest BC's" because there has been no option for me; I teach in the gear available, the only back inflate BC's I have ever had available for students or customers have been XXL. I have never had any BP/W's available for students or customers. :idk:

I have advised against buying Oceanic BC's, including their vests, because I hate their inflator. I have related how I'm not a big fan of the Mares vests I have experience with, but that is really only one discontinued model. I prefer to use, teach students and guide rental customers in SeaQuest non-integrated vests, because I feel they vent easiest of any BC I have used or seen used; venting is what I consider the most important feature of a beginner or student BC. Aqualung has seriously messed up SeaQuest BC's since purchasing them; I am putting up with the Waves my employer stocks.

AFAIR, I have only pointed out when "Techspurts" type their opinion as if it were fact! If the "Techspurts" could type their opinion as opinion, I would then only perhaps type my opinion. :eyebrow:

"He has squarely tied his ideas to the prevailing DEMA disseminated dogma on the gear divers need...and he now invests an enormous amount of time in attempts to discredit opionions that differ from those he is invested in."

Let's see; I challenge "silly typing" that is not truthful and I ask why one would not consider the BC's used by divers making dives similar to the dives to be made by the diver asking for advise.

I challenge anyone to quote me where I "attempt to discredit opionions." I have pointed out when opinions have been typed as fact and I have given my opinions. Most of the "new" dive gear I have purchased has either been "close outs" or "instructor discounted." Most of my dive gear was purchased "used." Does that really mean "I have squarely tied my ideas to the prevailing DEMA disseminated dogma" ???

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

halemanō;5820776:
Since many of you seem to be buying into the propaganda spewing from a few loud members of the SB "Techspurts" let's look a little closer at the above quote.

That is purely speculative and anecdotal...you have no proof that any of us seem to be buying into any kind of spurts. Man, how I hate sloppy typing on the interwebs. :rofl3:

halemanō;5820776:

Language like that is an excellent example of why so many people have a hard time taking you seriously. Not sure what you possibly hope to achieve by choosing such silly typing, but everything you wrote past that sentence somehow appeared on my monitor as white noise ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Language like that is an excellent example of why so many people have a hard time taking you seriously. Not sure what you possibly hope to achieve by choosing such silly typing, but everything you wrote past that sentence somehow appeared on my monitor as white noise ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I can't see what he writes unless others quote him, but that is the norm for halemano and the very reason I blocked him.

halemanō;5820776:

That is purely speculative and anecdotal...you have no proof that any of us seem to be buying into any kind of spurts. Man, how I hate sloppy typing on the interwebs. :rofl3:

"Seem" is the operative word. By qualifying my typing with the word "seem" it then requires no proof. :eyebrow:

Often comprehension is as lacking as composition. :shakehead:

halemanō;5820776:

Funny, I kind of got the impression that you have only been comprehending "white noise" ever since I used the term fringe.

Perhaps I hope to achieve the proliferation on SB of my now favorite other descriptor of the SB revisionist cabal. :coffee:

halemanō;5822076:
Funny, I kind of got the impression that you have only been comprehending "white noise" ever since I used the term fringe.
"Appear" is the operative word. I said nothing about comprehension. Yours is apparently as silly as your typing.

halemanō;5822076:
Perhaps I hope to achieve the proliferation on SB of my now favorite other descriptor of the SB revisionist cabal. :coffee:
I think you're just hoping to compensate for some massive insecurity issues ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom