Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion

Where do I sign up for this? Apeks must owe me a small fortune in special deals or discount pricing

Well by that logic Tobin must be bankrupt by now from the legions of viciously loyal zealots he has on his payroll.

I see both oversells as a problem but the difference as I see it is that there is only one manufacturer following us into Scubaboards general forums. The rest are polite enough to check the retoric at their manufacturers area of Scubaboard.

The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion.

So lets just keep things in proper perspective if you are getting advice from a manufacturer and salesman double check that advice with a third party that has the experience to give good advice but no reason to have a bias.

I think the idea of BP/W shills is pretty absurd. If you have any evidence please cough it up, I would like in on some special deals or discounts:wink:.

I was referring to is the attitude some divers get that their newest piece of gear is the best (or only) solutions for all the divers, all the time in all possible locations. This can be BP/W, jet fins, dry suites, certain brands of regs, diving with tables, choose you poison. It is a sickness we all are prone to, especially on the internet.

I was referring to is the attitude some divers get that their newest piece of gear is the best (or only) solutions for all the divers, all the time in all possible locations. This can be BP/W, jet fins, dry suites, certain brands of regs, diving with tables, choose you poison. It is a sickness we all are prone to, especially on the internet.

Really? In my experience, that's an extremely uncommon attitude these days, even on the internet.

The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion.

Well, I can honestly say that I have never earned a cent from the endless hours I have spent contributing and debating here on Scubaboard.

However,... in any manufacturers were interested in hiring a spokesman/advocate.... :wink:

The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion
Well by that logic Tobin must be bankrupt by now from the legions of viciously loyal zealots he has on his payroll.
I have purchased all of my gear from local dive shops, online and directly from other SB members. I've not received any discount that was not offered to others. If DSS depended on giving gear away to SB shills, he may as well close up shop. Tobin's gear is first class and stands on its own merit. Does he benefit from being an active SB member? I sure hope so as we well know his advice is spot-on, valuable and insightful.

I've never known Tobin to promote *his* products over that of other equipment manufacturers. He's generally pretty non-specific in terms of brands, and speaks more to different *types* of gear ... leaving it up to the reader to decide which brand they choose to purchase.

Tobin's always been pretty up-front about his belief that scuba equipment manufacturers are not each other's competitors ... because they're all competing against all the other forms of recreational activities that people can choose to spend their money on. If only more folks in the industry would think that way, we'd be much better off for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Considering my post did not mention any individual company, person or persons I think a number of you that protest do too much and have pointed to a particular that may fit the description. That in itself may say more than I ever would or could.

Considering my post did not mention any individual company, person or persons I think a number of you that protest do too much and have pointed to a particular that may fit the description. That in itself may say more than I ever would or could.

Well I can say that I have never talked to Tobin in any fashion (phone, email, person or on SB). Nor do I own anything that he designed, manufactured or sold. I think it is safe to safe to say I am not being bought. It did not take Einstein to figure out who you were referencing. Nice try though.

Last edited:

... perhaps you're not as subtle as you think you are ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom