Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
halemanō;5751672:
Just to be clear, nobody answered my question.

It is pretty telling when 220,00 members/divers ignore your questions. IJS

Reactions: RJP
halemanō;5751672:
So, just to be clear, "if we just say that to be basic scuba at least 50% of the divers in the world would have tried it; what percentage of world wide divers have tried BP/W, dry suits, argon, all of the above and more on the same dive?" is what I asked in the linked thread and part of what I quoted in this thread.

Just to be clear, nobody answered my question.

Your question is based on an arbitrary assumption and requests data that nobody keeps.

My answer is that basic scuba isn't defined by the equipment one wears ... it's defined by the manner in which one dives. Equipment choices are often determined by the environment in which one makes those dives.

Your question hasn't been answered because it's an irrelevent question ... you might as well be asking "if we just say that to be basic weather at least 50% of the days must be sunny; what percentage of people in the world own an umbrella?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am asking myself now, which group is the more warped?

Yeah, sometimes the BP/W crowed over-sells the ability of the system to make someone a better diver, recent converts tend to be over zealous.

On the other hand, the marketing and sales efforts by profit oriented companies push an every changing array of needlessly complex jacket BCDs on new divers while they still have money to spend and before they know what they need.

I deal with a few zealots and use what works best for me.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

BASIC SCUBA FORUM (Definition of forum- bold added):
Basic Scuba Discussions Have a Scuba related question? Get a Scuba related answer here.
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

The placement of a post is most often defined by the OP. Occasionally a post may be moved into a more suitable forum where more specific answers to a question, or divers of a similar level of training or experience can comment. There are no # of dives, years of experience, or training levels associated with the Basic Scuba subforum.

Your question is based on an arbitrary assumption and requests data that nobody keeps.

My answer is that basic scuba isn't defined by the equipment one wears ... it's defined by the manner in which one dives. Equipment choices are often determined by the environment in which one makes those dives.

Your question hasn't been answered because it's an irrelevent question ... you might as well be asking "if we just say that to be basic weather at least 50% of the days must be sunny; what percentage of people in the world own an umbrella?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The answer is pomegranates with chocolate sauce and alka seltzer.

marketing and sales efforts by profit oriented companies push an every changing array of needlessly complex jacket BCDs on new divers while they still have money to spend and before they know what they need.

Again: IJS, Aqualung is now marketing BPW's (Apeks), as is Oceanic (Hollis) and Zeagle. At least one more big dawg I know of is in the wings (seen the prototypes).

the winds of change? Maybe common sense that a BPW is a "BCD" option?

It is pretty telling when 220,00 members/divers ignore your questions. IJS

I am now trying really hard to ignore this whole thread. :)

I am asking myself now, which group is the more warped?

Yeah, sometimes the BP/W crowed over-sells the ability of the system to make someone a better diver, recent converts tend to be over zealous.

On the other hand, the marketing and sales efforts by profit oriented companies push an every changing array of needlessly complex jacket BCDs on new divers while they still have money to spend and before they know what they need.

I deal with a few zealots and use what works best for me.

I see both oversells as a problem but the difference as I see it is that there is only one manufacturer following us into Scubaboards general forums. The rest are polite enough to check the retoric at their manufacturers area of Scubaboard.

The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion.

So lets just keep things in proper perspective if you are getting advice from a manufacturer and salesman double check that advice with a third party that has the experience to give good advice but no reason to have a bias.

I see both oversells as a problem but the difference as I see it is that there is only one manufacturer following us into Scubaboards general forums. The rest are polite enough to check the retoric at their manufacturers area of Scubaboard.

The other thing I feel compelled to question is the number of people on Scubaboard that are actual zealots vs those that are acting as shills. How many of the advocates of a particular manufacturer have actually received specials deals or discount pricing for their outspoken opinion.

So lets just keep things in proper perspective if you are getting advice from a manufacturer and salesman double check that advice with a third party that has the experience to give good advice but no reason to have a bias.

So, who are you a shill for? Or is that an unreasonable perspective to suggest?

Only one, sorry but you are completely wrong. There are several who express their opinions & offer assistance in the general forums. If you don't like someone disagreeing with you on the board, why not take it to the whine & cheese area.

Are you referring to Tobin? What issue do you have with a designer/manufacturer/seller coming into a thread that' sole purpose was to bash a specific product type that this company sells? Tobin has come in and been professional IMO considering the people the has had to interact with in this thread and I do not believe that he has passed on to us any BS. I am not advocating a jacket or wing, but I have no problem with a seller such as him coming in and joining the conversation as a seller. I can only imagine those that do not like being proven wrong would take exception to it. YMMV

Are you serious? Now you are claiming that most if not all advocates of a given manufacturer are being paid to be an advocate?

Sorry, I missed your sign at the door when I came in....

tin_foil_hat_area.jpg

You forgot the 4th and 5th party check because the third must be on the take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom