Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently ( last 50 dives or so) started diving in a BP/W, before that I dove a Buddy Explorer BC ( Jacket Type). The Buddy Explorer is like an old friend reliable, trustworthy and we have history together. I bought the BP/W as I was planning to extend my diving and try my hand at technical diving. My first non mentored dives in my lovely new Apex BP/W were a complete nightmare. I really struggled to set up the harness. I now have my BP/W sussed and I love diving it my poor Buddy Explorer is collecting dust now. I would say BP/W rigs are more flexible and adaptable to different diving than Jacket BCs. They tend to be better engineered eg stainless steel buckles, one piece Harnesses etc. But Jacket BCs are easier to just throw on your back and dive, no set up required.

Is there a particular post out of the 48 in that thread which I should be reading?

The entire conversation, from the very first post all the way to the very last, make up the point that AFAIC, for some divers a BP/W is evidently not the right BC for one Maui dive site.

I'm sure you will just skim and spam, but you do what you do!

I just thought I'd give you a chance to make a concise point for a change. You either can't or won't

Sorry, I stated that as a fact... I should have said it appears to me that you either can't or won't

halemanō;5746128:
The entire conversation, from the very first post all the way to the very last, make up the point that AFAIC, for some divers a BP/W is evidently not the right BC for one Maui dive site.

I'm sure you will just skim and spam, but you do what you do!

If you wish to make a point - make it.

Other members aren't here to satisfy your teacher fantasies.

If you've seen a post that substantiates your point, then reference it specifically.

After trawling through the amount of BS in that thread i think i might have found what he claims.

...and having read it im certain his assumptions are incorrect. Even vest BCs fill in the back.
There difference is negligible if any exists at all. Far less than different thickness DIVERS.

So you've created a thread yet refuse to answer questions. You would rather send people off in search of your blather in other threads. Makes sense.

halemanō;5746033:
Please look for the pertinent info in the OP, as to the topic of this thread. I have answered Q#1 recently, probably in one of the linked threads from this thread's OP; if you are really interested in that answer, keep asking and someone might help you (or just find it yourself).

As for Q#2, please see the thread linked below for a discussion of an entry situation where for some divers a BP/W evidently does not do the job, IMHO.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/321578-maui-shore-dive.html

So you've created a thread yet refuse to answer questions. You would rather send people off in search of your blather in other threads. Makes sense.

I have answered many, many, many questions in this thread. The current crop of questions have nothing what so ever to do with the topic of this thread. The topic is what are the reason BP/W divers made the change to BP/W? This thread is not about me, it is about reasons people chose to dive with BP/W.

An alternate concept in the thread is BP/W proponents stating their anecdotal opinion as if it were fact when advising people who are seeking information with which to make a decision. There are plenty of valid reasons one might chose a BP/W, so there should be no reason to MAKE UP reasons.

Another recent thread whined about a Dive Magazines dive gear advise articles not being much more than biased advertising of the gear made by the manufacturers paying for advertising in the magazine. How can anyone say the advise on SB does not have a similar bias towards the core supporters of SB?

The vast majority of divers who own their own BC own Vest BC's. If one is doing dives similar to the dives being done by that vast majority, why is it so bad to say vest BC's just maybe should be considered, especially considering vest (jacket :confused:) is in the title of most of the threads posted by members looking for advise.

Dan claimed divers who have gone the BP/W route "as a group, have typically gone this route becuase they wanted to be more streamlined and to have a system that allows easier weight shifting and customization to achieve optimal trim and perfect fit." Please quote DAN when he has ever indicated anything he has claimed about BP/W's superiority over anything else as his OPINION.

I think the on topic responses to this thread have shown that at least with regards to the brave few who managed to stay on topic, Dan's OPINION typed as fact was not even a very accurate OPINION.

I think the top valid reasons someone should consider a BP/W are a strong desire to eventually go tech, cold water diving necessitating a Dry Suit, someone really big and someone wanting to use doubles. By typing I think, I qualify it so that it is obviously my opinion. That way if you think differently, I am not implying that your thoughts are inferior.

That is my point in all of this lately; we are all scuba divers so we have something in common and we could easily get along better if we typed in a way that accurately described anecdotal opinion as anecdotal opinion.

Sas eventually admitted that she feels every BP/W she has used worked better for her than every vest BC she has used. Opinions based on a list of different gear. Where have I ever given Sas any grief for saying that?

Dan says that "I DO say the bp/wing is always the right tool," which implies that every one who does not chose to use a BP/W is using the wrong tool! What about side mount or no mount divers? Do you think they think that what Dan typed as if he were speaking the one knowledge of diving is actually the one knowledge of diving?

"BP/W's vent better than Vest's" and "BP/W's are more streamlined than Vest's" are ignorant statements even if they are qualified as opinion, because not every BP/W vents easier than every Vest and not every BP/W is more streamlined than every Vest.

How can giving someone ignorant advise be considered helping someone make an informed choice? This thread has given people with those kinds of questions some really good reasons why many members have gone the BP/W route. I have probably done more for the pro BP/W movement with this thread than all the ignorant absolute BS ever spewed by the BP/W propagandists here on SB, but I have also let many members see the true colors of a lot of the so called INTERNET EXPERTS.

Many of the so called INTERNET EXPERTS are not interested in free expression of opinion, unless it is the same opinion they hold themselves! :shakehead:

halemanō;5746591:
I think the top valid reasons someone should consider a BP/W are a strong desire to eventually go tech,

A small percentage of our prospective buyers intend to "go tech", most BP&W sold today will never see a set of doubles. I query my prospective buyers pretty closely about their future plans.

halemanō;5746591:
cold water diving necessitating a Dry Suit

Most our prospective buyers are using wetsuits and a significant percentage buy BP&W's expressly for warm water travel.

halemanō;5746591:
someone really big

We offer 5 sizes of BPs. We sell far more medium back plates than all other sizes combined.

halemanō;5746591:
and someone wanting to use doubles.

Most Back Plates sold today will never see a set of doubles. Single wings out sell doubles wings 20:1

Your "top valid reasons" do expose your biases, and profound ignorance.

My responses aren't the speculation of an "Internet Expert" They aren't unsupported opinion either. They are the observations of a professional who makes their daily living designing, manufacturing and selling BP&W's worldwide.

Tobin

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom