WARNING: Jolly Dive boat captain by name of Paul sexually harassed me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is really amazing is that the man has chosen not to come here and explain himself. I think that is truly shocking.

Or not.

Interestingly enough, 2 out 2 dive shop owners that I happened to ask were unaware of ScubaBoard existence. So his not coming here is far from being shocking.

Why he hasn't responded on TripAdvisor is a different matter entirely. But then again I have no idea how TripAdvisor works, and I'm almost sure that business owner's ability to respond on TripAdvisor is a paid feature that may be cost prohibitive for many small businesses.

Interestingly enough, 2 out 2 dive shop owners that I happened to ask were unaware of ScubaBoard existence. So his not coming here is far from being shocking.
I believe Paul has or is being notified of he existence of this thread also and asked to respond. Normally that's part of our process when possible.

Wow. It's amazing so many here are willing to see a man's livelihood, reputation, and possibly marriage thrown down the tubes by an anonymous internet post.
Not only that, but judging a man based on his looks (or apparent eccentricities) is so To Kill a Mockingbird.
Shame on SB.

Well, they reported to the police. Why would one go that far if that’s not serious?

4) Which brings us to the final consideration: cost of being wrong in either direction. In any scenario in which you are presented with unsubstantiated allegations, you have to decide what you're going to do with that information without necessarily being able to immediately confirm or disprove them. You could dismiss them out of hand, as you've done here (but have you done it with any of the other unsubstantiated stories told here? If not, why not?

I dismissed nothing. I simply didn't assume it was true. Big difference.

Edited- quoted wrong user sorry

Why he hasn't responded on TripAdvisor is a different matter entirely. But then again I have no idea how TripAdvisor works, and I'm almost sure that business owner's ability to respond on TripAdvisor is a paid feature that may be cost prohibitive for many small businesses.
Responses on Tripadvisor is free, or it was when I had a business there.

I also didn't know of the existence of ScubaBoard before I got my butt handed to me on the board when I was a liveaboard owner. Same with D2D. But the owner of the board asked me if I would like to respond to my butt handing, and so I did. I am reasonably certain a member of the staff has notified Paul that this thread exists. Again, that he has chosen not to respond speaks volumes.

Wow. It's amazing so many here are willing to see a man's livelihood, reputation, and possibly marriage thrown the tubes by an anonymous internet post.
Not only that, but judging a man by his looks (or apparent eccentricities) is so Kill a Mockingbird.
Shame on SB.
Not exactly ... I don't believe the general opinion is to crucify the guy. I believe the OP but if it was up to me personally to apply a punishment, I would dig deeper before deciding if and what should be done.

What I see here is beyond the guy. SB has made attempts to get his side of the story, and personally I exercise my right to believe he's a jerk. Regardless of what this guy may deserve, I think is clear this young woman had a miserable experience, should she keep it secret?

This thread can be more than just a call for tar and feathers, it can be an eye opener on many levels:

- For parents to raise strong women with the ability to deal with the reality of our world, and strong men to recognize the reality of the world and do what they can to change it.
- For the dive industry to keep their eyes open for this type of behavior and be clear about not accepting it.
- For every diver that goes out and sees things that shouldn't be. Get involved, if nothing else at least talk with your wallet.

Maybe I'm 100% wrong, but to me this scenario has only two possible situations:
1- The guy has been abusing his position of relative power repeatedly with no one (that we know) calling him out, and this woman decided it was bad enough for her to have the family contact authorities and speak up on line.
or
2- This woman is a pathological liar and has probably been accusing unsuspected men for things they never did.

I believe is #1, but if it is #2 it wouldn't be too hard to find out and this guy could come out smelling like roses. If my livelihood, reputation and marriage was on the line I'd make that quick search.

Not exactly ... I don't believe the general opinion is to crucify the guy. I believe the OP but if it was up to me personally to apply a punishment, I would dig deeper before deciding if and what should be done.

What I see here is beyond the guy. SB has made attempts to get his side of the story, and personally I exercise my right to believe he's a jerk. Regardless of what this guy may deserve, I think is clear this young woman had a miserable experience, should she keep it secret?

This thread can be more than just a call for tar and feathers, it can be an eye opener on many levels:

- For parents to raise strong women with the ability to deal with the reality of our world, and strong men to recognize the reality of the world and do what they can to change it.
- For the dive industry to keep their eyes open for this type of behavior and be clear about not accepting it.
- For every diver that goes out and sees things that shouldn't be. Get involved, if nothing else at least talk with your wallet.

Maybe I'm 100% wrong, but to me this scenario has only two possible situations:
1- The guy has been abusing his position of relative power repeatedly with no one (that we know) calling him out, and this woman decided it was bad enough for her to have the family contact authorities and speak up on line.
or
2- This woman is a pathological liar and has probably been accusing unsuspected men for things they never did.

I believe is #1, but if it is #2 it wouldn't be too hard to find out and this guy could come out smelling like roses. If my livelihood, reputation and marriage was on the line I'd make that quick search.
No matter what comes out the man is not going to come out smelling like roses. There will always be a question and if a 2nd woman were to accuse him, he would instantly be thought of as guilty.

I dismissed nothing. I simply didn't assume it was true. Big difference.
You wrote:
I don't believe some anonymous person that has not a single shred of evidence to back up whatever it is they are claiming to be true because people lie and scam all the time and I am of a distrustful nature to begin with.
Can you direct me to your other posts on this board where your "simply" not assuming something was true took the form of you taking the time to post that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom