WARNING: Jolly Dive boat captain by name of Paul sexually harassed me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not seeing how the cross posted antagonistic Trip Advisor post makes her any more credible. Even though it's antagonistic not supportive. Doesn't matter. The person (or persons) leaving those posts are anonymous strangers, we know nothing about them so there's no reason to accept what they write or say at face value. To do so would be rather naive.

Of course "not all alternatives are equally plausible". They almost never are. Your point?
Sometimes when the gulf in communication is so wide I'm not sure where to start. So forgive me if it sounds like I'm talking down to you, but I can't figure out where the disconnect is.

1) Yes, anonymous people can post anything on the internet. Sometimes what they post is true. The majority of the posts on this board, true or false, are not verifiable with a reasonable degree of certainty by the members of this board. The question then becomes how to respond to an unverifiable accusation.

2) One important consideration, of course, is the likelihood that the accusation is true. In assessing this, it is reasonable to inquire whether there is any independent corroborating evidence, but it is a fallacy to assume that such evidence must exist, and infer evidence of absence from the absence of evidence. It is rare to have extrinsic evidence of sexual misconduct that falls short of forcible stranger rape. And it is depressingly common for members of the general public to apply a degree of scrutiny to these claims that they don't use for other types of equally unsubstantiated allegations. (I notice you don't make much of the dive shop's failure to respond for example. Shouldn't the innocent proclaim their innocence whenever they have the chance? Doesn't it mean something if they don't?)

3) An additional consideration in evaluating credibility is motive to fabricate, both on the part of the accuser and on the part of those who corroborate or contradict the accuser. It's amazing how many reasons those who inherently distrust women can think up for those women to lie, yet fail to apply the same stringent evidentiary standards to their own reasoning (i.e. where's your evidence that women fabricate sexual misconduct allegations for revenge over minor disputes? Does it even make sense to do so given how women are raked over the coals for speaking up about this?) And when someone who appears to be speaking in defense of the accused confirms some details of the accuser's story, why is it not clear that those parts, at least, are true? Why do you continue to entertain such theories as this story was made up out of whole cloth by a competing dive shop? And why aren't you equally skeptical of the denials of the accused as you are of the accusers? Surely those who sexually harass young women have a strong motive to lie about it.

4) Which brings us to the final consideration: cost of being wrong in either direction. In any scenario in which you are presented with unsubstantiated allegations, you have to decide what you're going to do with that information without necessarily being able to immediately confirm or disprove them. You could dismiss them out of hand, as you've done here (but have you done it with any of the other unsubstantiated stories told here? If not, why not?) You could believe everything you read, which no one is advocating for. Or you could engage your critical thinking skills. You could recognize that women rarely lie about these things and are far more often disbelieved when telling the truth. You could consider that loudly proclaiming your disbelief intimidates other victims into keeping silent and allows these abuses to continue. You could meditate on the fact that it really doesn't cost you much to shut up and keep an open mind while the story develops. And you could ask yourself questions like "who has more to gain here, and more to lose?" And you could reach at least a tentative hunch in favor of believing victims based on a more sophisticated thought process than putting your fingers in your ears and saying la-la-la you have no proof so you must be lying.

Assuming that the OP is being truthful:
In Texas, unsolicited touch is considered a Class C misdemeanor assault. I belive this young lady was assaulted, by her description of the incident. I also think that the Captain would have been in trouble with the police.
I commend the restraint of the Dad. I have three daughters in their early 20’s, and if this would of happen to them, I do not know if I could have kept my cool.

It's literally impossible to simply read a post and know if it's credible without having other information available to corroborate it.

Do you often read negative reviews of dive ops (or other merchants) and naturally believe them simply because they sound credible to you? If so, that might be considered "Crazy".

Your statements are logic on face value. Other information available is needed to corroborate it.

So when I read the OP description of the events I engage my brain and compare her descriptions of the events to what I've seen on boats (dive charters, fishing, working and pleasure boats) for the last half a century, and my reaction is of sadness.
Of course I believe the OP. I wish she would've had the strength to stand up to him and make herself as big as possible, instead of the opposite wrapping herself in a towel and become as small as possible; which most likely feed his predator instinct. But that's how life is, and that is why every person reading the thread should recognize responsibility on this matter.
I for one will make a point to NOT IGNORE this types of a$$hats and chuck it to "their ways" or pretend is "just a joke" . Granted I'm pretty sick of interacting with people so I avoid them as much as possible, but to all of you frequenting charter boats or any public services in general, please don't ignore the signs. If you were lucky enough to have the strength to stand up to BS think about the less fortunate that for whatever reason haven't developed that strength yet.

eye witness testimony in a court of law
Actually, it's been conclusively proven that eyewitness testimony is completely unreliable. It's to our shame that eyewitness testimony is still part of our legal process. Here's a fun show that breaks down the details (start at 7:00 for eyewitness testimony):
Personally, I think I believe the OP despite my initial inclination not to. She might have some of the exact details wrong, but I've got the impression the general idea is true. Without a video of the incident, none of us will ever know for certain. We can't go through life only believing things we see on video though...

I read this post as both a diver, instructor and father of a now 30 year old daughter. Judging the OP or her story troubles me greatly. Her post allows others to decide among many operators. It does not suggest a posse to hang the guy. As to her response on the boat, at 20 my daughter would have done the exact same thing: wrap up and sit as far away as possible. At 30, after bartending on and off for many years while being a photographer, she would have grabbed the nearest thing and threatened his life. The family reported this to the police and that is where the "official" inquiry ends. We readers of SB can only read and use the information as we choose to. If other readers know the boat owner and want to defend him, that's part of the puzzle. Not sure why I felt compelled to respond, except I get concerned when we "analyze" comments to the point where we seem to be voting on whether she's telling the truth or not. She's 20 and needs to know that the dive industry has its share of pigs like all others, but most of us hope we're much better. It is a great sport and she should never feel that way again with any of us divers.
Rob

OP’s account is credible. Thanks for coming forward. Despite the usual abuse thrown at victims, her story may prevent other women from having to suffer such ill treatment.

She's 20 and needs to know that the dive industry world has its share of pigs like all others, but most of us hope we're much better.
FTFY. And emphasis mine.

I'm male. I've probably led a very sheltered life, but in my world the pigs are - apparently - few and far between. I really hope that my impression is right. And since I seriously believe in equal rights (I also have a wife, a daughter and some extremely competent colleagues who happen to be female, but their gender is irrelevant for my interaction with them), I'm mad as heck at, and even more ashamed about, those pigs who usually have the same gender as I have. I shouldn't be because it isn't my responsibility, but I am.

Wow. It's amazing so many here are willing to see a man's livelihood, reputation, and possibly marriage thrown down the tubes by an anonymous internet post.
Not only that, but judging a man based on his looks (or apparent eccentricities) is so To Kill a Mockingbird.
Shame on SB.

Wow. It's amazing so many here are willing to see a man's livelihood, reputation, and possibly marriage thrown down the tubes by an anonymous internet post.
Not only that, but judging a man based on his looks (or apparent eccentricities) is so To Kill a Mockingbird.
Shame on SB.

One of our senior staff is in personal contact with her. Their dicussions seem to validate her existence

Although the OP is anonymous to most Subaboard users, as she should be, she is not to the board as represented by moderators.

Shame on SB.
What is really amazing is that the man has chosen not to come here and explain himself. I think that is truly shocking.

Or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom