WARNING: Jolly Dive boat captain by name of Paul sexually harassed me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4) Which brings us to the final consideration: cost of being wrong in either direction. In any scenario in which you are presented with unsubstantiated allegations, you have to decide what you're going to do with that information without necessarily being able to immediately confirm or disprove them. You could dismiss them out of hand, as you've done here (but have you done it with any of the other unsubstantiated stories told here? If not, why not?
I dismissed nothing. I simply didn't assume it was true. Big difference.
Why do you attribute that quote to me? That was @Esprise Me (just FTR, I agree with them, but that's not relevant for your misattribution)

Responses on Tripadvisor is free, or it was when I had a business there.

I also didn't know of the existence of ScubaBoard before I got my butt handed to me on the board when I was a liveaboard owner. Same with D2D. But the owner of the board asked me if I would like to respond to my butt handing, and so I did. I am reasonably certain a member of the staff has notified Paul that this thread exists. Again, that he has chosen not to respond speaks volumes.

I looked at his TripAdvisor reviews, he hasn't rebutted any of the 8 negative reviews. He also hasn't thanked posters for any of the positive ones. I looked at their shop website as well. It appears to me that online presence plays extremely little role in their marketing strategy, and is perceived as fairly unimportant factor for their business. Keeping that in mind, if someone sends him an email saying that someone else is trying to get him his butt handed on some internet forum somewhere, do you expect him to make it his first priority to register and respond?

I do agree that hearing his side of the story (or maybe any other verifiable side of the story, perhaps a police report, or a copy of a written warning allegedly handed to Paul) would be of great help in understanding what happened. I also agree with those who point out that this is an anonymous report made by a newly registered user both here and on TripAdvisor, which may be completely correct, completely false, or anything in between.

Wow. It's amazing so many here are willing to see a man's livelihood, reputation, and possibly marriage thrown down the tubes by an anonymous internet post.
Not only that, but judging a man based on his looks (or apparent eccentricities) is so To Kill a Mockingbird.
Shame on SB.
What do you propose as an alternative?

When someone believes they are wronged, but it's not something that crossed the line to illegal where it happened what do we do? Most people would advise the wronged person to share their story. How should someone proceed if they are wronged in a remote tourist spot and didn't have a body cam on their bathing suit?

We the readers have no way to know if this is real that I'm aware of. The verification that SB did, seems a good step. Although in my experience IP geolocation is far more of a swag than the admins have let on, it's a reasonable thing to look at in the absence of other data. That means either the OP is likely a real person who visited this operator and may be telling the truth or a competitor is extremely savvy. Maybe someone in the location that the ip resolved to was running a tor exit node or an open proxy. I can think of many scenarios, but I would put those firmly outside of the capabilities of 99% of dive pro's that I've encountered (sorry guys, you can't be experts at everything).

So I come back to the first question. What is the appropriate course of action in your opinion?

It appears that TripAdvisor user who posted the negative review (their only contribution on TA) stole (?) an avatar from another user who asked a question on Jolly Dive page 3 years ago.

WTF?

Attachments

• PaulL.PNG
    PaulL.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 147
  • sms.PNG
    sms.PNG
    101.5 KB · Views: 144
How should someone proceed if they are wronged in a remote tourist spot and didn't have a body cam on their bathing suit?
I hope that's not the standard for proof, body cam video or nothing. If you're wronged and wish to share, you should do so. As a reader, you must filter. When I read TripAdvisor on B&B's, I always discount those that clearly have a grudge or had too high of expectations for a B&B. This is something different and scary. As to men in the world at large or in diving, I will not believe any man who says they have not witnessed more than insignificant sexist behavior/comments. I have chastised DM's working with me who have commented "among us guys" about how a student looks in her bathing suit. Might be harmless to some of you, but that attitude spills into how that DM is treating the student. You want to judge this OP and her veracity, it's your right to do so. Just as she has the right to alert others of her experience. It's the readers job to filter.
Direct answer to the question, yes, I believe one should proceed with alerting others whether they are wronged on 5th Avenue in NYC or in the jungles of Southeast Asia.
Rob

It appears that TripAdvisor user who posted the negative review (their only contribution on TA) stole (?) an avatar from another user who asked a question on Jolly Dive page 3 years ago.

WTF?
That's a generic image. It's some classic rock band, and is commonly used for generic avatars. It's also on the cover of a few sets of music you can buy such as this one: The Most Requested Classic Rock Songs - Piano, Vocal & Guitar Sheet Music - Sheet Music & Songbooks | musicroom.com.au

That image shows up all over twitter and tripadvisor. It's probably some selectable default image.

Back
Top Bottom