WARNING: Jolly Dive boat captain by name of Paul sexually harassed me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe someone in the location that the ip resolved to was running a tor exit node or an open proxy. I can think of many scenarios, but I would put those firmly outside of the capabilities of 99% of dive pro's that I've encountered (sorry guys, you can't be experts at everything).
I actually don't consider myself a "dive pro" but IRL I was a network mgr. at ASU for about a decade and owned my own web development firm so know my way around a proxy server and IP spoofing. There is no indication of that happening here. Tor - as you likely know - is virtually untraceable.

Realistically there's no 100 percent way to be certain but so far the Xenforo tools have a high degree of accuracy when I've used them. They're not anything but widely used industry applications called from the API..

I'd say me too, but, well, how about "I laughed out loud also."

These cases need to be judged independently, and in this particular case I'd side with the OP. Not that anybody cares.

That said, what I've seen as a boss/co-worker/disciplinary panelist leads to my conclusion. Women who are really, really scared often won't come forward or won't be willing to do so except anonymously, which makes it hard to take action against the accused even when a mountain of circumstantial evidence exists. (Took a decade in one case, though intervening steps prevented further harm to others.) Others will do so semi-publicly (so the accused knows who they are), and in my experience appropriate actions have generally been taken.

However, I've also seen a case where the accuser turned out to have a long pattern of accusing authority figures. Family of the accuser intervened and essentially said the allegation shouldn't be believed and they were in care for mental health issues. The accused had no similar accusations, ever, and was in a position similar to a dive instructor where close contact is routine.

...Of course I believe the OP. I wish she would've had the strength to stand up to him and make herself as big as possible, instead of the opposite wrapping herself in a towel and become as small as possible; which most likely feed his predator instinct...If you were lucky enough to have the strength to stand up to BS think about the less fortunate that for whatever reason haven't developed that strength yet.

I was going to write something like that as well and I agree with you. Young girls/women will often shrink, avoid, and move away if they can. They may not say anything during or after an incident. There's no question predators seek out younger, less formidable victims.

It isn't until we get older and gain confidence that we find our voice and possibly our strength.

Thanks for posting. I have advised my daughter and my son to not dive with Jolly Dive. Keep diving and stay safe!

Cheers

I actually don't consider myself a "dive pro" but IRL I was a network mgr. at ASU for about a decade and owned my own web development firm so know my way around a proxy server and IP spoofing. There is no indication of that happening here. Tor - as you likely know - is virtually untraceable.

Realistically there's no 100 percent way to be certain but so far the Xenforo tools have a high degree of accuracy when I've used them. They're not anything but widely used industry applications called from the API..
I wasn't challenging you. I was talking about how unlikely it is that a competing dive shop would have that much tech savvy at their disposal. i.e. I agree with your conclusion.

Reading your report is simply cringe inducing. I cannot imagine having to endure any creeper for 45 minutes. It is easy for people to Monday morning quarterback and say "I would have done this/that". Being a woman alone in another county on a boat with this DB would have left most of us paralyzed with fear. You handled the situation with amazing maturity and common sense.

I understand some other posters' skepticism when there is a new member with a scathing post about a business. I see this all the time on Tripadvisor and Yelp. However, your description of the events and action implemented, feel real and authentic to me. Yes there are always two sides to a story, but the lack of any reaching out to you or posting their POV on the forums from the dive op are disturbing. Years ago I was at a healthcare provider seminar. The presenter said that most medical lawsuits would be dismissed or never perused in the first place if the medical provider simply said they were sorry or apologized. Some acknowledgement regarding your experience would certainly have given the dive op some credibility.

In Law Enforcement Once a case is closed the report becomes public information and available to anyone who requests it. It usually costs like $1.00 a page or something like that. That’s here, not sure how things are there. So if this police report is available, let’s put this thing to bed and ask the poster to get a copy and post it. It will contain his interview and statements if the police spoke to him and it will explain the outcome of what the police did/said to him.

In Law Enforcement Once a case is closed the report becomes public information and available to anyone who requests it. It usually costs like $1.00 a page or something like that. That’s here, not sure how things are there. So if this police report is available, let’s put this thing to bed and ask the poster to get a copy and post it. It will contain his interview and statements if the police spoke to him and it will explain the outcome of what the police did/said to him.

This happened in Antigua. You sure about the $1/page and police report etc? You familiar with Antigua law?

This happened in Antigua. You sure about the $1/page and police report etc? You familiar with Antigua law?
Positive about it for here in the US but not sure of Antigua Laws. Here in the county that I work for, a police report is usually no more than 4 or 5 pages long and a charge of $1.00 a page for administrative costs. Personal info like SS #'s , Driver's License #'s and dates of birth are omitted out.

Positive about it for here in the US but not sure of Antigua Laws. Here in the county that I work for, a police report is usually no more than 4 or 5 pages long and a charge of $1.00 a page for administrative costs. Personal info like SS #'s , Driver's License #'s and dates of birth are omitted out.

Jonny-that’s my point. Incident was in Antigua. All bets off. US law irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom