WARNING: Jolly Dive boat captain by name of Paul sexually harassed me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is really amazing is that the man has chosen not to come here and explain himself. I think that is truly shocking.

Or not.

I'd say "not". Regardless of the level of truth in the original post, there's no upside for the individual (or dive operation) to prolong this thread (increasing the search hits) unless they had overwhelming evidence that the OP was incorrect. Anything less than a preponderance of evidence (ie., our boat has a security camera that constantly tapes as long as the motor is running, the diver didn't know about the camera, and the footage can be viewed by anyone at http://here/is/my/proof) will turn this into even more of 'he-said, she-said', which will be a further loss for the individual (and operator's) reputation.

1) Yes, anonymous people can post anything on the internet.

2) One important consideration, of course, is the likelihood that the accusation is true.

3) An additional consideration in evaluating credibility is motive to fabricate, both on the part of the accuser and on the part of those who corroborate or contradict the accuser.

4) Which brings us to the final consideration: cost of being wrong in either direction. In any scenario in which you are presented with unsubstantiated allegations, you have to decide what you're going to do with that information without necessarily being able to immediately confirm or disprove them.

I agree. Putting it more succinctly:

Ocam's Razor

if this gets publicized enough, i would not be surprised if other previous victims came forward. this type of behavior doesn't just happen overnight.

Taking off my mod hat and posting as a user. This recuses me from moderating in this thread. Having said that, here is my personal position on this and similar threads.

As a society we have put women and girls at a horrible disadvantage. It is very difficult for them to stand up to sexual harassment and molestation. There is never a way for them to accuse their attackers in public without a certain number of people doubting their account and implying that they are lying.

There are indeed a few instances where false accusations are made and they get a lot of attention when they happen. The problem is that actual attacks and harassment of women happen hundreds of millions of times. The risk of believing a false accusation is damage to a rather small number of men. The risk of doubting women that report these occurrences is that we encourage attackers to believe that they can harass women with impunity. When we do that we perpetuate the behavior and put countless more women at risk.

Defend women. Believe women. Trust women. Odds are you will be right in doing so and will encourage potential predatory perverts to restrain their deviant behaviors.

And for God’s sake quit playing devil’s advocate at the expense of a young woman that was trying to share our sport without being screwed with. Bullies suck but sexual bullies are the worst.

Taking off my mod hat and posting as a user. This recuses me from moderating in this thread. Having said that, here is my personal position on this and similar threads.

As a society we have put women and girls at a horrible disadvantage. It is very difficult for them to stand up to sexual harassment and molestation. There is never a way for them to accuse their attackers in public without a certain number of people doubting their account and implying that they are lying.

There are indeed a few instances where false accusations are made and they get a lot of attention when they happen. The problem is that actual attacks and harassment of women happen hundreds of millions of times. The risk of believing a false accusation is damage to a rather small number of men. The risk of doubting women that report these occurrences is that we encourage attackers to believe that they can harass women with impunity. When we do that we perpetuate the behavior and put countless more women at risk.

Defend women. Believe women. Trust women. Odds are you will be right in doing so and will encourage potential predatory perverts to restrain their deviant behaviors.

And for God’s sake quit playing devil’s advocate at the expense of a young woman that was trying to share our sport without being screwed with. Bullies suck but sexual bullies are the worst.
I agree with you, especially the last sentence. I also would guess that the OP is telling the truth, as much as she can. But I don't know, and can't know. Which brings me to your last sentence. A woman who uses her sex to bully a man is also the worst. If the man is innocent he has no defense. No matter what is decided in a court of law the charge will always hang over his head.

The pendulum would have to swing a long way before men are at a disadvantage in this world. We can afford the risk to help our sisters find safety. Injustice does indeed occur but women know what that feels like far more than men ever will. Stand up for women. It’s what strong men do.

So what percent of false imprisonments are acceptable so that women can sleep better at night? Because that is what you are asking.

So what percent of false imprisonments are acceptable so that women can sleep better at night? Because that is what you are asking.
Please show us on this doll where women hurt you.

I don't think anyone's talking about imprisoning this guy, are they? My answer to your question is zero. Nobody should have to pay because of a disservice that was done to someone else or even a group of someone else's. However, I think that is a non-sequiter. The incident was reported to the cops. The guy got a warning. Clearly what happened was not illegal where it happened.

He made some inappropriate comments and lude remarks. He's an *******. As far as I read, he didn't rape her. Other female divers might want to avoid the *******, and spreading the report about the incident will potentially allow them to make up their own mind.

Back
Top Bottom