Interesting dive off Palm beach yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then why have any debates or discussion on this forum? Science doesn't matter. Skills and experience don't matter. People should just do what they want because it's their neck. According to you.

You're the one who is violating the clear and consistent guidelines for diving EAN currently taught by every single training agency globally. Those guidelines are established based upon science and the opinion of experts far smarter than you and me. That is why I said that it is your neck and you can dive as you wish. The vast majority of the rest of us will choose to follow established guidelines.

Since nobody has come up with the correct scenario and this thread is diverging all over the place, maybe it is time to finish the story before everyone forgets where I left off.

Even though my buddy has two brand new engines (less than 20 hrs) he has had some issues with the engines failing to start. I had never experienced it when I was operating the boat, nor had it occurred when either of use were diving and a recent modification/trip-to-shop, lead us to believe that the previous issue had been completely resolved,

However, apparently while I was diving, he turned both engines off and neither would even turn over or start. The trim worked but the engines acted like they were not in neutral which electronically precludes starting. He checked fuses, shut off the power, switched batteries and tried everything he could think of.

So he was kinda freaking out because he is dead in the water and I am drifting away with the float ball continuing my dive, oblivious to any problems topside. He noticed this fisherman in the area and (apparently there was enough communication established, since he speaks some Spanish) to request that the fisherman, go over, grab the float and then pull me in so I would not be lost.

That is exactly what the nice fisherman did, however, I was ignorant of the situation, not able to communicate, unhappy and was not even considering the option to possibly board his boat. At least I didn’t cuss him out.

Luckily, and for no apparent reason after 10-15minutes, the captain was able to start the motors and came over to pick me up (as I resumed drifting on the surface for just a minute or so).

My buddy had thrown out his anchor earlier when the initial problem occurred, to prevent drifting too far. When the engines eventually started, he just ditched it (rather than haul it all in on the boat by himself) in order to recover me ASAP.

It took me two more dives to find and then recover the anchor and line he ditched, I asked him to leave the engines running while I did these dives, LOL.

Six drops yesterday, I went to bed early last night.

Wonder if the nice fisherman will ever try to help out a few divers again?

Interesting. Yea, well, the rest of the story makes quite a bit of difference. I still stand on my comment that IF the fisherman had decided to just "haul you up", to me that would be a crime. But glad to hear the rest of the story and glad everything turned out well.

Since nobody has come up with the correct scenario and this thread is diverging all over the place, maybe it is time to finish the story before everyone forgets where I left off.

Even though my buddy has two brand new engines (less than 20 hrs) he has had some issues with the engines failing to start. I had never experienced it when I was operating the boat, nor had it occurred when either of use were diving and a recent modification/trip-to-shop, lead us to believe that the previous issue had been completely resolved,

However, apparently while I was diving, he turned both engines off and neither would even turn over or start. The trim worked but the engines acted like they were not in neutral which electronically precludes starting. He checked fuses, shut off the power, switched batteries and tried everything he could think of.

So he was kinda freaking out because he is dead in the water and I am drifting away with the float ball continuing my dive, oblivious to any problems topside. He noticed this fisherman in the area and (apparently there was enough communication established, since he speaks some Spanish) to request that the fisherman, go over, grab the float and then pull me in so I would not be lost.

That is exactly what the nice fisherman did, however, I was ignorant of the situation, not able to communicate, unhappy and was not even considering the option to possibly board his boat. At least I didn’t cuss him out.

Luckily, and for no apparent reason after 10-15minutes, the captain was able to start the motors and came over to pick me up (as I resumed drifting on the surface for just a minute or so).

My buddy had thrown out his anchor earlier when the initial problem occurred, to prevent drifting too far. When the engines eventually started, he just ditched it (rather than haul it all in on the boat by himself) in order to recover me ASAP.

It took me two more dives to find and then recover the anchor and line he ditched, I asked him to leave the engines running while I did these dives, LOL.

Six drops yesterday, I went to bed early last night.

Wonder if the nice fisherman will ever try to help out a few divers again?
Have you checked the neutral safety switch? I have a suzuki snd it's very touchy. I replaced the switch and it didn't help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom