Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wife loves her Lavacore. We dive Cozumel twice a year with high 70's, low 80's, water temps. 90 minute dives. Lavacore works great. I dive a 3/2 and it works for me. The front zip on the LC makes it easy to unzip if you get a little warm.

Safe Travels,
Jay

Do you think I could dive in Hawaii with a 7mm wetsuit? It's the only wetsuit I have now.

I would think so because you can just open up the zipper(s) to allow water to flow through if you get warm. You're liable to find it quite uncomfortable to gear up in the heat, however, and it will take you longer for gearing up than it will take others, if you're diving in a group or off a boat. If that's the case, you need to start getting ready enough ahead of time that you won't slow everybody down, yet not early enough to end up suffering in the heat. You'll want to get in the water quickly after you're geared up. You'll also have to wear more weight.

If your doing like a two tank morning, you should be fine with a 3mm or equivalent. Water temp was 77 degrees when I dove Kona and I wore 6mm. The days where I was diving 4 times a day, I did get a little cold towards the end. Hope that helps!

I'm usually all about renting equipment at the destination, but never, never exposure suits. Ewww.

Just my opinion of course, but I'd rather be comfortable in a 3mm that someone else probably pissed in than wildly uncomfortable in my 7mm in HI in the summer.

This is a good deal for a nice 3mm suit Bare 3mm Velocity Full Men's Suit I have the previous version of it (mine's a 3/2) and it works just fine.

Like I mentioned earlier, I dived off Kona last year (April, 2016). Most of the DMs I was with all week were wearing 7mm suits.

The hottest (air temps) it ever gets in Hawaii just aren't that hot. Average daytime temp in the hottest month is 80 to 85, depending on what source you consult.

I hate being hot, but I don't find a 7mm to be THAT unpleasant in those kind of temps. Especially when it's decent humidity - not 100 degrees and 100% humidity, like I grew up with in north FL.

I'm not saying anyone necessarily should plan on wearing a 7mm in Hawaii. What exposure protection you need is totally personal. All I'm saying is, if you feel like you need 7mm in the water, I wouldn't compromise on that for the sake of the "heat" in Hawaii in the summertime.

Only you really know what your cold tolerance is. Thus, rather than asking other people what to wear, you would be best to focus on finding out what temps to expect and then decide for yourself what you need to wear.

This.

I was on a boat in the Caribbean last winter. Water temp 84 at surface and 81 at depth. The folks on that boat, all diving the same water, ranged from wearing bathing suits, to 3mm shorties, to 5mm full (me), to a dry suit!

I did my OW in Hawaii. I was a little cold in a 3mm. I would have been happier in a full 5mm especially after back to back diving over several days. Their water can get down to high 70's low 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom