Question Add some Lavacore vs a heated vest (Venture Pro)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been getting cold enough lately that I'm shortening my dives and want to feel warm again.

I dive dry, with thin mountaineering baselayers, 4th Element Arctic (one piece or two - I own both), and then a no name vest. It hasn't helped that I've been playing Whack-a-Hole with minor leaks in my suit, but believe I have them all whacked.

I have LOTS of warm stuff at home, even some that might be suitable in the drysuit. I just want to be WARM for a >60min dive again. I dive 48-52F mostly, and about 1-2 trips a month.

My options are to:
1. See if I'm warm enough with no leaks - but sooner or later any drysuit will spring a leak again.
2. Add my shorty sleeveless Lavacore under the 4th Element
3. Add my full body Lavacore under the 4th Element (would have to by the one piece 4th Element)
4. Get a Venture Pro heated vest and just say done. I don't want to go the external battery route. I suspect that the heated vest would add enough heat for me that even in the case of a leak I'd stay warm.

To add a little to my questions, I'm planning a May Baja trip (temps 68-76F water) and plan on bringing my 5mm and 3mm wetsuits. I'm thinking if I get the Venture Pro that might be nice in Baja.

Thoughts?

Heated vests are a game changer for cold water diving.
A decent base layer makes a big difference as well. I have a J2 but any wicking layer would work. No cotton!

My buddy dives dry here in the Puget Sound and has gone to wearing only a base layer and his V3 vest. 45 - 60 min dives and he's still toasty warm. Internal vs external battery is the only debate for being dry.

Heated vests are a game changer for cold water diving.
A decent base layer makes a big difference as well. I have a J2 but any wicking layer would work. No cotton!
Cotton kills! Yes, a good wicking baselayer is important and always included. Thanks for the thumbs up for the heated vest.

My buddy dives dry here in the Puget Sound and has gone to wearing only a base layer and his V3 vest. 45 - 60 min dives and he's still toasty warm. Internal vs external battery is the only debate for being dry.
Thanks, this is helpful.

There are a few things to factor in when diving dry and keeping warm.

1) Is your hood thick enough and not too old? 9+ mm is what you need
2) Add a smart wool base layer under your 4th element
3) Eat a good breakfast before diving. This makes a big difference
4) A heated vest will definitely help. Most of us using them say it takes the edge off, adding a bit of heat to your core. It will not replace your other layers however

There are a few things to factor in when diving dry and keeping warm.

1) Is your hood thick enough and not too old? 9+ mm is what you need
2) Add a smart wool base layer under your 4th element
3) Eat a good breakfast before diving. This makes a big difference
4) A heated vest will definitely help. Most of us using them say it takes the edge off, adding a bit of heat to your core. It will not replace your other layers however
I do all of the above (not wool, but good baselayer). Sounds like there is consensus that a heated vest is a plus.

Heated vests are excellent but should not be relied upon. You should be fine with your undergarments and the vest should be just to add some comfort.

Heated vests are excellent but should not be relied upon. You should be fine with your undergarments and the vest should be just to add some comfort.
I think that is exactly what I want to do. I'm safe and relatively comfortable with the set-up I have now, just think it would be more enjoyable if I was just a bit warmer.

I could try adding more passive insulation (Lavacore sleeveless shorty or spend 1/2 the cost of the heated vest for say a Halo 3D suit), but it already takes about 28# of ballast (lead/tanks/regulators) to sink me and the suit. I'd rather not add to that need. As an aside, since anytime I say 28# of ballast, for those of you who do not dive in sub 12C water - YES, it is the right amount, but not all of it is lead. 2 HP steel tanks means 13# of lead while 2 any sized AL tanks means 28# of lead. Anything less and I can't hold a SS with only reserve air in both tanks.

Just for grins and giggles and a little history: When I started dry suit diving in the early 1980s the DUI undersuit was early thinsulate between two layers of nylon. Not only was it hard to move around in when dressed, but my 66" 130# frame needed a whopping 40# of lead PLUS tanks just to sink. We have come a long way. It is memories of the above that make me leery of adding more passive insulation.

This is just my opinion, non leaking suit first, wool base and good undergarments are much more important than a heated vest, I have and sometimes use the vest, the last version of the venture.

the battery placement will affect trim, my batteries weight 3 lbs and sit longways just below my rib cage, adjust as needed.

I prefer to using enough undergarment and lead to dive without using the vest, I personally will mostly feel the cold on my upper shoulders and upper arms, the vest doesn’t help that much but does take the edge off.

undergarments do lose some insulation over time, I would lean toward the halo 3D or the newer AR (?) but that’s just me, when my vest dies I wont replace it.

Back
Top Bottom