Staying warm in Sydney diving in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingpooldivein

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I live in Sydney, Australia, and I get cold very easily. For example, I've done double dive in March (summer month) with a 5mm wetsuit, and I was barely OK by the end of the 2nd dive. But my addiction has grown, and I'm now thinking about diving during the month of August / September, which has a sea temperature of 18°C, and I have a few questions:
  1. Today, I now own a 7mm wetsuit and a thermal top (1mm to 2mm additional protection?). Would this be enough thermal protection?
  2. If not, besides a drysuit (I had a bad experience with my certification course), what can I do to get myself comfortable? Ideas I have include getting a semidry wetsuit, getting a thicker and full-body thermal to go under my wetsuit, or getting a battery-powered heated top. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Would suggest the semi dry.

Why did you have a bad experience with your drysuit course?

Thanks for the advice!!

Why did you have a bad experience with your drysuit course?
Had an uncontrolled ascent, and it was not a great time.

So? Rent a drysuit and go out with a friend who is an experienced drysuit diver and do some shallow dives
Just checked and there don't seem to be any companies nearby that rent out drysuits. But also, I'd rather just continue with non-drysuits.

A real, 7mm semi-dry should be fine even with the worst that a Sydney winter will throw at you. By a real semidry I mean the single piece type with glideskin roll-seals on ankle, wrists and neck, and a dry-zip across the shoulders. These are all the rage in mainland Europe and are *way* better than the two piece types you sometimes see. I feel the cold too, and had a 6.5mm Mares Flexa-therm that was fine for 40 minute run times in 12-13c water, which is a *lot* lower than you'll see around Sydney.

Have you tried one of these under your wetsuit?
Expensive, but what price being warm, under a 5mm works for me, under a 7mm for you [as you already own one] should work, unless you are a "very cold frog".:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom