WARM Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

To stay warm in a dry-suit make sure you have plenty of layers of clothing on!

Also, theres a gas called Argon that you can attach to your drysuit - it makes you smell like gone-off eggs or like you have passed wind several times in your suit so don't expect people to help you take it off - but apparently it works!

Someone who knows more about it I am sure will tell you more if you want more info.

Originally posted by joewr
Further as one adds layers on the inside, they act to improve the insulation.

I am sorry to have to tell this to such a respected member of the CAD, but the truth shall set you free...at least, as free as your wife will permit...

Joewr...thinking delta T [/B]

Thats the point I was making, layering just like neoprene, when one layers to much they become less mobile thus, when or if someone needed assistance how quickly could you respond being limited by those layers?

A wife? humm

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
Fishkiller

Also, theres a gas called Argon that you can attach to your drysuit - it makes you smell like gone-off eggs or like you have passed wind several times in your suit so don't expect people to help you take it off - but apparently it works!

Someone who knows more about it I am sure will tell you more if you want more info.

ScubaBaby,

Actually, argon is a colorless, odorless gas! So, if the stuff they use for dry suits stinks, an odorant must have been added.* That is what is done to the gas used in heaters, stoves, ect., because, methane, the gas used in those devices is also colorless and odorless. Odorants are used for safety reasons.

However, I do not know that odorants are used in argon for dry suits. The reason one uses argon, though, is because it is a better insulator than air, I believe. However, I am too lazy to run downstairs and look up the heat transfer coeficients of argon and air.

And, the comment on layers of clothing is as they say somewhere, spot on!

Joewr...resident, but forgetful, chemical engineer to the Board...

*If an odorant has NOT been added...well, you can draw your own conclusions...

is important. It doesn't take many layers of clothing to achieve comfort in a dry suit. For really cold dives, I would wear a pair of thin poly and my thinsulate dry suit underwear and perhaps fill with argon. Otherwise, I would wear the dry suit underwear with just a pair of shorts on undernieth. It is very important that the layers you wear will keep you insulated even if you're soaked with water or sweat.

Mobility comes with proper fit of the undergarments and the dry suit itself. Everything must be just loose enough to guarentee good mobility underwater, but not so loose to add unnecessary drag. Some suits offer better mobility than others, and that needs to be considered as well. Yet another factor is personnal flexibility/physical fitness.

It's no big deal at all, if it's done right. Many people wear their dry suits and/or underwear way too tight and, therefore, significantly reduce their flexibility. Granted, a dry suit diver (or thick wet suit diver) will never be as flexible in their dry suit as they would be diving naked, but with a properly fitted suit and undergarments, they do just fine.

Take care.

Mike

I think I need to speak with the CAD President about membership fees !

Granted, a dry suit diver (or thick wet suit diver) will never be as flexible in their dry suit as they would be diving naked.

I would much rather scare fishes by diving somewhere warm and naked than even have to consider wearing a drysuit !!!

Although here, you dont get much choice ! ;-0

Just reading (parts of) this thread made me cold! Give me 80 degrees or more...henceforth I'm a candidate for the whimpering divers club.

welcome Scubadweeb there are no wimpering divers here just warm and happy.

Hi, Scubadweeb!

Did they let you out of the office again? 80 deg F? Another devoted member of CAD International...and from Texas, no less!

Joewr...the march goes on...

Well, they're about to let me out of the office in a minute. I'm getting ready to head to Washington DC tomorrow - got a big presentation - and what better way to prepare for it than to read the scuba board?! I feel the wonderful support of you "sunshine divers" however, in my typical fashion; I am clueless as to the meaning of CAD. (Me thinks I'll like it).

Scubadweeb,

But the one that started it all was CANDY A_S DIVERS, however, since this is a family site, it was felt that a more toned down, sophisticated concept was in order. I will let Fishkiller our VP and GM for Marketing take over...

Joewr...ah, the wonders of organization...

Back
Top Bottom