Wanted: testers for Suunto download application

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very likely the Galileo is using the same download protocol as the Smarts, so you can also try the test application. If the download protocol is different, the application will refuse to continue.

It is possible the test application does not recognize the Galileo because I have no idea how it announces itself (I have just hardcoded "Galileo" now). But even if the discovery fails, the logfile is useful for me, because all irda devices in range are listed in it. And I can use that to fix the discovery. The irda application on my website [2] will only perform the discovery, but not the downloading.

I have just send the IRDA log file to your email address. Your app did not discover it because it uses a longer name than just "Galileo".

len=471
Running discovery 0
getsockopt: rc=0, size=33, errno=0
len=33, list->len=1
Discovered device 0:
irdaDeviceID=e6380a03
irdaDeviceName=UWATEC Galileo Sol
irdaCharSet=00
irdaDeviceHints=8000
device: address=e6380a03, name=UWATEC Galileo Sol

The one thing that I know is different about the Galileo download file compared to other Uwatec computers is that it contains the diver's heart rate throughout the dive profile, in addition to the water temperature.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
Peter

Do you still need a log from a D6 with a "large number" of dives?

If so, is about 70 enough?

I have a few memory dumps from a D6, but I can always use some extra ones. It's not exactly the number of dives that is important, but the total amount of memory that is filled. Usually that means many dives, but it can also be a small number of very long dives, or dives with a very short sample interval. But 70 dives is probably close to a full memory.

If you need more data from the D6 I can provide it in a couple of weeks when we get back from bonaire. My wife and I just bought them so they have nothing in memory now. What language are you using and where can I find the source code?

Scott.

I don't see any problem with you updating your quite technical post. Not that I understand more than 1/5th of it, but the other poster probably didn't get even that much.

I just got a barely used Suunto Cobra, but have no interface cable yet. Am I correct in thinking that your program will take the information from the dive computer and place it into my pc? The information that you are looking for is the computer lingo for the transfer process?

What kind of punch card should I use? Do I need to wind up my computer before I run the program? Will I need a new hamster for my power system before it's done?

Luddite by dint of finance -Nannymouse

If you need more data from the D6 I can provide it in a couple of weeks when we get back from bonaire. My wife and I just bought them so they have nothing in memory now. What language are you using and where can I find the source code?

We can always use some extra data from the D6 (or other models).

The library is written in C. The source code is not yet available, because we are still discussing a few items like a name for the project, its license (probably LGPL), where to host it, etc. Once that is decided, we'll prepare a first release and make it available to the general public. If you can't wait, you may always contact me by email.

I don't see any problem with you updating your quite technical post. Not that I understand more than 1/5th of it, but the other poster probably didn't get even that much.

I'm not sure what "other poster" you are talking about here.

I just got a barely used Suunto Cobra, but have no interface cable yet. Am I correct in thinking that your program will take the information from the dive computer and place it into my pc? The information that you are looking for is the computer lingo for the transfer process?

You are right, the program will download the data from the dive computer to your computer. That way you can use the available data in a logbook application, for decompression simulations or whatever you want to do with it.

We already have a good knowledge of the transfer protocol. So that part is already done (unless someone experiences a problem). Now we are trying to get as much data as possible, to verify whether the decoding (e.g. obtaining the date/time, duration, maxdepth, dive profiles, etc) works correctly.

Any future love for us Aeris/Oceanic computer owners? Specifically Atmos 2?

Btw, I'll be trying the Aeris Window SW in VMWare Fusion on Leopard this weekend...

It's ugly, but a workaround for now...

To add support for a dive computer for which no protocol documentation is available, we need a capture of a transfer with the software of the manufacturer. If the transfer is over a serial port (or USB with a builtin usb-to-serial convertor as is often used nowadays), that can be done with PortMon. The procedure is explained in this posting:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3245863-post6.html

You should only use a larger value for "Max Output Bytes". Use 1024 *3 bytes for instance (the factor 3 is to take into the conversion to hexadecimal notation). I noticed this too late when I wrote that post.

For the best results, you should start with an empty logbook and repeat this procedure a number of times. After each time save the logfile in PortMon and email it back to me, including the logbook file.

PS: Tomorrow, I'm leaving for a three week diving holiday. So I won't be able to answer any questions during that time. But you may still send me data of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom