Wanna Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee:
Read the DFG news release. The COMMERCIAL salmon season won't open as scheduled and is in jeopardy. The recreational season opens on April 1, as Chuck stated.

So, what do you guys think about the Breakwall? Is it a good or bad place to meet?

Rickster:
So, what do you guys think about the Breakwall? Is it a good or bad place to meet?
Well, that's where I'll be. I don't have a choice.
If you guys want to meet there I would get there very early. Parking will be hell.
I don't really know the area that well to suggest another place.

ZKY

ZKY:
Well, that's where I'll be. I don't have a choice.
If you guys want to meet there I would get there very early. Parking will be hell.
I don't really know the area that well to suggest another place.

ZKY

I am going to meet Melvin from SoCal there at 10:30-11:00. I want to start earlier. I will meet you there Eric. You pick the time.

Rickster:
I am going to meet Melvin from SoCal there at 10:30-11:00. I want to start earlier. I will meet you there Eric. You pick the time.
Is 6:30 or 7:00 to early? Otherwise you WILL NOT find a place to park. At least get in the lot and buy an all day ticket, then you won't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. Then we can walk to the Starbucks in Cannery Row or somewhere and get our coffee and breakfast after we get the parking thing taken care of. The Russian lady at the deli has a pretty good breakfast burrito for $3.50 but her coffee sucks.

ZKY

ZKY:
Is 6:30 or 7:00 to early? Otherwise you WILL NOT find a place to park. At least get in the lot and buy an all day ticket, then you won't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. Then we can walk to the Starbucks in Cannery Row or somewhere and get our coffee and breakfast after we get the parking thing taken care of. The Russian lady at the deli has a pretty good breakfast burrito for $3.50 but her coffee sucks.

ZKY

6:30 it is. And burritos and Starbucks, to start the day off right. I will have my weight belt set up this time.:wink:

There's a chance that I'll be boat diving that day, but if I'm not, I'd recommend Coral Street instead of Breakwater. The salmon fishermen (and scuba instructors) will take up all of the parking at Breakwater rather quickly. In any case, I'd recommend meeting at the El Torito parking lot instead, then decide where to dive from there. Either Lover's Point or Coral Street. Although some might want to do Monastery, I don't know your respective skill levels.

You can review some of these spots at shorediving.com. I'll post more links when I get home.

The usual spots are the Breakwater, McAbee beach, Lover's Point, Coral Street on the Monterey side.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/CDNDiveSites.html

http://shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/index.htm

dannobee:
There's a chance that I'll be boat diving that day, but if I'm not, I'd recommend Coral Street instead of Breakwater. The salmon fishermen (and scuba instructors) will take up all of the parking at Breakwater rather quickly. In any case, I'd recommend meeting at the El Torito parking lot instead, then decide where to dive from there. Either Lover's Point or Coral Street. Although some might want to do Monastery, I don't know your respective skill levels.

You can review some of these spots at shorediving.com. I'll post more links when I get home.

The usual spots are the Breakwater, McAbee beach, Lover's Point, Coral Street on the Monterey side.

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/CDNDiveSites.html

http://shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/index.htm

Thanks for the links and suggestions. If you are not on the boat, join us.

dannobee:
I don't know your respective skill levels

experianced:D

Rick

ZKY:
Is 6:30 or 7:00 to early? Otherwise you WILL NOT find a place to park.
ZKY

Without a boat, you should be OK. With a boat, it gets more interesting. I've gotten
there at 7:15 on Salmon opener and gotten the last double spot in the lower lot (but
only because I was able to sneak into a really skinny spot.). And I've gotten there
at 6:30 and had to park behind Manta Ray.

A really cool idea would be to stash one car in a good parking spot the night before and
use it as a base of operations.

Or go to Pt. Lobos (I would, except the tides are wrong for launching my boat).

Some of the things that affect opening day:

Where the fishers think the fish are. One year they were up off Half Moon Bay and
the Breakwater was pretty quiet. One year they were here.

Weather.

This year's probable very short season. It's entirely possible that opening weekend
willl be the ONLY open weekend north of Point Sur.

Personal opinion: the fishers got screwed on this one. The problem on the Klamath
was not of their own making, and the "fix" is reaching too far south and not far enough
north.

On the Salmon season, I don't think it will be a big problem with parking. Despite that fishermen will likely get shafted on the salmon season the restricted opener on April 1 is in essentially a closed season. The guys that show up won't be the bright ones. Ya see, this time of year the salmon are offshore, the opener only allows fishing within 3 miles of shore, not within reach of the salmon in April, later in summer they come close to shore. So where the fishers think the fish are, most will realize the fish are too far out to effectively target, last april in monterey the fish were far out and likely will be again. I however will be showing up the night before, parking won't be a problem then.

I have ressies at the Lone Oak Lodge. Thanks for the recommendation, ZKY. It is getting close, and the excitement is starting to build.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom