Wanna Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nilsdiver:
I am interested in getting in some diving up north this year. I would love to join you guys come May or June.

Is this the rock you speak of?
http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.974924,-123.747854&spn=0.02262,0.057421&t=h

Nils
Yep, that be it.
It looks like they shot it during a bloom or storm runoff or something because normally it wouldn't look that cloudy. The day I was out there it was 50+ foot vis.

I'm trying to get more people to take their boats up there and dive it but there seems to be some kind of phobia going around about diving the North Coast and Arena Rock it particular, which I just plain don't understand?

ZKY

ZKY:
I'm trying to get more people to take their boats up there and dive it but there seems to be some kind of phobia going around about diving the North Coast and Arena Rock it particular, which I just plain don't understand?
1. It's a darn long drive from my house.

2. According to my buddy Kawika, who has dived it a few times, the anchorage is a bit dicey.

Chuck Tribolet:

Ohh boo hoo:jestera: , all of us that live north of sacramento and drive to monterey so many weekends of the year can't find it in us to feel sorry for you. Its 10 hours round trip for us(going the speed limit) every time we want to dive monterey, and since I'm up against the sierra nevadas its about the same distance for me to get to the north coast. Chuck do you have slings for your boat?

I'd be out, but I'm not sure I want to take my little boat out there.

Eric,
The more people that are afraid of the North Coast the less we have to share of it, not that i'm against sharing because there is enough for all of us, and its fun to bring new people to something they can't believe exists off California beaches.

Chuck Tribolet:

2. According to my buddy Kawika, who has dived it a few times, the anchorage is a bit dicey.
I'm going to overcome both of your objections.

1. There are a very large number of first class bed & breakfasts, lodges, or campgrounds all within very close proximity to Point Arena. You come up the night before, wake up fresh and rested, have a good breakfast, then go down to the pier and launch your boat and make the short 4 1/2 mile trip north around the light house and to the rock. Do 2 or 3 dives there and if you still feel good sucking up that 36%
then go back south past Arena Cove and on to an offshore bank I know of and do 1 more dive.
Then drive home.

2. I anchor right next to the rock in about 109 feet on the gravel base. I swoop the line quite a bit to keep myself away from the top. Next time I go I'm going to bring a stern line and double anchor to keep the aft end of the boat from swinging around. I went straight down the anchor line to the bottom then compassed over to the rock about 20 feet away from where the anchor dropped and worked my way up the sides and through the caves.
If there is any current I would work in teams and always keep one team in the boat and take turns. I would also suggest you and your divers bring marker floats and mirrors or other such signaling devices just for safety in case someone gets swept off.

But I guess it's all relative to what some may consider a dicey anchorage. I didn't think it was any big deal.

And the offer still stands, if you need coordinates just ask me. And if you want to take your boat out there when I go out there we could do that too.

ZKY

I am so ready to right now it is killing me!!

Chuck Tribolet:
It's stll a darn long drive -- MS Street & Trips says three hours thirty nine minutes, and
that's without factoring in reduced speed because of the boat trailer. And any place
you think about needing a second anchor is a dicey anchorage.
Whenever I go to Monterey it takes me 3+ hours one way. When I have my boat it's longer. When I go to Socal it's 6+ hours to the closest place I go to down there.
I do what it takes to anchor and dive a spot. I guess that's why I've found lot's of cool stuff to dive on, and the ocean is not as protected as Monterey bay so we don't have a choice. My tolerance level is higher than yours for what I consider dicey.

So on these two points I guess we're just different.

Happy diving.

ZKY

ZKY:
Whenever I go to Monterey it takes me 3+ hours one way.ZKY

Whenever I dive in Monterey, I pack the car and drive down the street ... takes me a very long 10 minutes to get to the Breakwater. Even longer to other spots like Lover's or Carmel.

Sorry, couldn't resist. eyebrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom