Vote: Dive Computer "Conservative" Setting?

Do you set your dive computer to more conservative than the standard model?

• Yes, I set my dive computer more conservative because some factors apply to me.

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • No, I use the standard model but add some conservatism by avoiding the limit..

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • No, I use the standard model and usually dive close to it's limit.s.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • No, I even reduce the conservancy when possible

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Don't know or I don't have a computer.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree, Once you move past a puck and use software, it is just a math exercise that produces an outcome. Software/models produce schedules based on data entered. Whether or not it is considered ndl or deco or a meatball sandwich is for the organic computer to hash out. I enter my data based on +3, understanding that every dive is a deco dive regardless of time or depth or mix or shortness of SI.
Eric

I dive an Oceanic VT3 with the conservative setting off. I've been diving the Pelagic Pressure Systems algorithm for more than a decade, previously with a Pro Plus and then a Pro Plus 2. I generally dive to the limit of gas or NDL, occasionally I have a short deco obligation. With deco, I clear the obligation and then exend the shallow stop several minutes.

I'm comfortable and have done well with this strategy for the last 450+ dives. I generally push less hard when it's very cold. I pay attention to my ascent rate and try to stay well hydrated.

Good diving, Craig

I disagree, Once you move past a puck and use software, it is just a math exercise that produces an outcome. Software/models produce schedules based on data entered. Whether or not it is considered ndl or deco or a meatball sandwich is for the organic computer to hash out. I enter my data based on +3, understanding that every dive is a deco dive regardless of time or depth or mix or shortness of SI.
Eric

Sure, there's a continuum, but its pretty obvious where on that continuum the ascent phase moves past the no decompression limit & into a decompression schedule. If using the same model, it makes no difference at all if that continuum is being produced by a dive computer or desk top software.

While every dive can be seen as a deco dive, there is quite a difference in the saturation state of the controlling tissue on a deco stop dive & an NDL dive. I find it quite reasonable therefore to add conservation factors as the mix & deco requirements change.

I answered yes. I dive with two computers, almost always. Primary is a Cochran set to 25% conservative and the other is an Aeris ai. The adjustment to the Cochram is set to bring it's NDL times to be roughly the same as the Aeris at 60 and 90 feet. I also NEVER get to less than 5 minutes remaining on NDL on the Cochran.

Why two? I do a lot of liveaboards and don't want to sit out dives due to computer failure. When I did deco dives, I got real used to the Cochran. Now that I no longer do mandatory deco diving (age 65!), I still am quite comfortable with it.

And I have had my Aeris fail on two trips (battery problems mostly), so I was glad that I had two computers.

Harry

I keep both of the computers I dive with set at their most conservative state. They are different brands and give different readings so I use them as my upper and lower limit. In years past almost all my dives involved deco and I have never had a problem with DCS over nearly 50 years of diving.

There's no option for "Yes, when I need to".

+1. My practice is to add conservatism for planned deco dives, but not for dives planned within NDLs.

Mind you, I dive with a D9 and it is plenty conservative enough even on the least conservative setting.

Back
Top Bottom